2014 African Americans!

<p>hey kalamari r u jamaican? </p>

<p>@glitterz
yeah I know what you mean. but the deadline for many apps are jan. 1 so it would make sense that the say before that would be busy. i dunno i’m just saying what the representative from common app said on college week live. last year that was their busiest day so they are expecting the same thing this year. </p>

<p>hahah i was very surprised at everyone’s spanish. the subjunctive though gives me painful memories of last year though. </p>

<p>anyone still doing applications?</p>

<p>I’m half-Jamaican, dad born on the island and my mom’s African-American. I checked both boxes on the Common App.</p>

<p>hey guys i haven’t on the board in a while but i wanted to come back for a second and say congrats to everyone who’s gotten in to their schools so far! :)</p>

<p>unfortunately i got deferred from Penn ED a while back, I’d be a liar if i said i wasn’t bummed out about it a little, and now I’m basically finishing the rest of my apps and sending them out, these past few weeks have been soooooo stressful, but i just have to hope for the best i guess…</p>

<p>I’m hoping for you :-)!</p>

<p>Ive really slacked off this winter break and have been spending all day doing college apps. Im probably going to have to spend tomorrow doing them too.</p>

<p>Oh and good luck luck to everyone im so nervous!</p>

<p>wait. can you do that? I’m half-jamaican too. My mom is Jamaican and my dad is african-american. did you check off the box for carribean and the box for black? </p>

<p>@bella
hey keep your head up. You still have a chance if you are deffered. I got rejected so I have to wait another year if I want to try to transfer to that school. I was pretty upset and sad but it’s all good. (i hope) My big fear is not getting accepted into anywhere, but that was only one rejection so far. Best of luck to you!!!</p>

<p>My big fear is not getting accepted into anywhere. But I think a big part of that is nervousness. Anyone else?</p>

<p>@BlackRose-Yes you can. I did that. Gotta rep both sides! :)</p>

<p>@obstinate- haha yeah good point. :slight_smile: I learn something new everyday. had any sorrel or fruitcake this christmas?</p>

<p>Yup : ) I was born there, and all my family is originally there. I grew up in NYC though.</p>

<p>it is really personal. I wrote it as a story in first person so when reading you feel exactly what I was going through. I didnt let anyone read it. Not even my mom.</p>

<p>How many of you guys applied to brown. i heard the amount of minorities applying there has increased to 24% or something like that</p>

<p>24% of what?</p>

<p>i’m applying to brown. i’m trying to see how I can takle the “what don’t you know” essay. like I understand to a certain extent what it means but for it to fit personally to me is kindof tricky.</p>

<p>@Blackrose-I’ve never celebrated a Jamaican christmas, or a traditionally black one, however that’s defined. Kwanzaa perhaps? Never. I feel like I’m missing out!</p>

<p>@bella-Don’t even worry. Send in a kickass additional rec or something that you feel will help you stand out further in the applicant pool and give it another shot!</p>

<p>I’m also applying to Brown. They’ve really stepped up minority requirement, especially by becoming a Questbridge partner school this year. They also waived the application fee for all Questbridge participants (I was a non-finalist and I still received one) which is really, really awesome. Every dollar saved really helps, you know? </p>

<p>What other schools have you all applied to? My list is:
Columbia (switched from ED to RD)
Brown
Harvard
Swarthmore
Yale
Oberlin
Vassar
Northeastern (accepted EA) </p>

<p>Anyone applying to Oberlin or Swarthmore? I went on the DiscoSwat and Oberlin MVP programs so I was able to really explore both campuses for a solid three days, so if you have any questions about impressions and whatnot, feel free to PM. I also went to Wesleyan for two days. It was pretty nice, but I don’t know if you can get the full campus experience on a Tuesday/Wednesday trip.</p>

<p>I’m applying to Swarthmore, and I went to DiscoSwat. I wonder if I know you. . . .</p>

<p>Yeah, but I’m not applying to Brown. I’m unfairly biased against it.</p>

<p>Well BlackRose21 when I first read that essay prompt I wanted to write that one too but when I started brainstorming I couldnt find anything unique enough. My sister told me to write about what my future holds and stuff. However there are alot of forums about the What dont you know essay and basically everyone is using that. So I wrote about the best advice.</p>

<p>Obstinate those are alot of ivies and Milicand why dont you like Brown?</p>

<p>i was a questbridge non-finalist too. how did u get it waived by questbridge. i have a fee waiver but i was just wondering. but u r right about brown stepping up their minority recruitment. they have a blog for minorities and everything. </p>

<p>@ obstinate-well i don’t celebrate kwanza. but the sorrel and fruit cake is just something we try to do each yeah. the cake takes a while to bake. try to ask someone in ur family if they make sorrel or christmas fruit cake. i sware u won’t regret it. you’ll die and go to heaven! lol :)</p>

<p>what did u type in the search bar to get forums on the brown essay?</p>

<p>Yeah, I know. I just like them because they’re great institutions in cities, and I’m into urban issues. Plus, I need a lot of aid money. A lot! Haha</p>

<p>And I really like that Columbia and Brown do a lot of outreach in the community and everything, and that they’re both located in cities. Columbia will provide more opportunities that are more up my alley (Urban Studies major here), but I think Providence isn’t too bad either. Harvard’s near Boston, so that’d be another great opportunity. Really, I just want to do some work in the community, not go “Teh omgz its Ivyy!” </p>

<p>Millancad, PM me. Who are you? We may have met!</p>

<p>And if you put “fee waiver request” and mention that you received mentorship from Questbridge they’ll waive the fee.</p>

<p>mentorship as in the college prep mentorship from them or just the regular college match. and did u put it in ur common app. sorry for all the questions! </p>

<p>hey i think i am now recgonizing some usernames. did any of u apply or got accepted to the MIT MITES summer program from last year?</p>