2014 African Americans!

<p>@thefranchize: My sister, HS class of '08, applied to Cornell with an SAT score higher than yours and legacy. She was rejected.</p>

<p>^^^great point, i hear a lot of stories just like that, you just never know…</p>

<p>Whenever I get frustrated because I just don’t feel good enough to get into these schools, my sister (an ivy league graduate) always reminds me that there is not one particular method or algorithm to the college admission process, especially for the ivies. @thefranchize, ok, your scores may not be as high as you like, but im SURE that there’s so much more to you that these colleges are gonna love, so don’t sweat it, you’ll be alright :)</p>

<p>@the franchize
yeah i agree with bellanaija. i went to a college fair with different kinds of schools and ivy leagues and they said they have rejected people with a perfect score. so it’s not always about having the highest score. which i’m sure helps but hipefully the application with bumb u up too. </p>

<p>i know everyone has a list of places that they applied to but what is your top one on your list. i know a lot of people applied to brown and penn and other colleges.</p>

<p>by the way is anyone waiting for acceptance from florida universities. uf decision tomorrow! :)</p>

<p>University of Illinois decision will be posted on the 19th! I will be up next thusrsday waiting.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses guys. I’m sort of tired of freaking out. Lol I hope they see my passion. Also, I don’t have a top choice because I don’t want to get attached to a school. I’m just going to keep prayin.</p>

<p>Franchize… I’d be very careful resting on those scores. S has a 2120 1440 in V/M , 11 essay 800in Math II SATand a 3.7 UNweighted at a private very rigourous school here in Wash DC and has been playing classical violin since 4 1/2. He was deferred by Yale at Xmas. I’m not saying he won’t get in in April but we are not holding our breaths here. As I have been telling him, never buy into the AA hype. Some are selected; many are not, white or black. Keep the GPA as high as possible and I would take the SAT again and aim for 7/7/7s if you are trying to go IVY. Also have good state backups. S was accepted in to UNC-Chapel Hill and Pitt (Honors full ride and invite to interview for the Guaranteed Admit Medical School Program…) We are still waiting on Brown, Yale, Oberlin, Hopkins and Bowdoin (legacy).</p>

<p>That was the last time I could take the SAT so I’m done with testing. I wasn’t surprised that I didn’t get into Yale in the fall. I do not think being AA will help much but I won’t lose hope. In addition to the colleges I listed above, I have some safeties that I would be happy to attend and I’ve already been accepted into my state school, Rutgers, so I’m not worried. I’m hoping for the best and expecting the worst come spring. In general, though, I really don’t want this thread to become about me. Haha</p>

<p>ooops sorry Franchize… :slight_smile: Don’t get me wrong, they are good scores, decent scores.I just have been hearing horror stories this year about the Ivies. I went to Harvard for grad school, and things have changed dramatically since then. Just seems much more uber competitive with lots more African American stars in the pipeline…</p>

<p>Yea there are some AMAZING AA applicants. A couple of my black friends are simply incredible and brilliant. One got into yale scea and the other MIT.</p>

<p>Yeah…My son’s friend was the only one of 7 applicants in his school that got into SCEA-yale : AA 2340 SAT,first try! One rejected,the rest waitlisted…</p>

<p>Wow…</p>

<p>UCF - Accepted
UF - Accepted
FAMU - Accepted</p>

<p>congrats cdames92. it looks like we’re the only floridians in this forum.</p>

<p>which one is on the top of our list right now?</p>

<p>Is anyone here from Illinois?</p>

<p>UNC-Asheville- accepted (safety)
UNC-Chapel Hill-accepted</p>

<p>^Congrats. Are you going to Chapel Hill?</p>

<p>CONGRATS EVERYONE! Yos, Chapel-hill is an awesome school, but have you read the article on the NYTimes about it? </p>

<p>[The</a> New Math on Campus - Readers’ Comments - NYTimes.com](<a href=“http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/fashion/07campus.html?sort=oldest&offset=2&scp=2&sq=UNC-Chapel%20Hill&st=cse]The”>http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/fashion/07campus.html?sort=oldest&offset=2&scp=2&sq=UNC-Chapel%20Hill&st=cse)</p>

<p>[Colleges</a> Where Men Are in Short Supply - The Choice Blog - NYTimes.com](<a href=“Colleges Where Men Are in Short Supply - The New York Times”>Colleges Where Men Are in Short Supply - The New York Times)</p>

<p>Just FYI.</p>

<p>So Far:</p>

<p>UPittsburgh: Accepted with invite to apply for Chancellors, Honors Program and offered Helen Fiason(fullride)with Invite to interview for the Med School Guaranteed Admit Program (will go up for that interview March 26)</p>

<p>UNC-Chapel Hill : Accepted with Honor College Invite</p>

<p>Yale : SEAC deferred</p>

<p>Awaiting: Brown, Hopkins,Oberlin, and Bowdoin.</p>

<p>S. went to Tar Hill Day, really enjoyed the classes and his ambasssador. Never been to Pitt,but excited by the prospects. Waiting to see on the others…</p>

<p>Stats:</p>

<p>2120 SAT/1440 /11Essay 740 CR/700Math/ 680 CR
3.7 Unweighted–4.25-3 Weighted
800 SAT II MATH/ 800 US History 700 Biology</p>

<p>ECs-- Bunch of clubs but highlights: Classical violin since 5; 200 hours community serivce tutoring inner city kids in Science and Reading; Captain of Quiz BowlTeam (4 years participation/2yrs Captain); Work since Freshman summer as Camp Counselor Math Camp: Violin for two school orchestras and as a volunteer… Chosen as a school rep for Study in Italy 2week program… Awarded School’s top service and excellence in the Humanities award.</p>

<p>

Though the article makes a good point, it is inaccurate. The ratio of girls to boys at Carolina is around 60% to 40%, this isn’t new, it has been this way for years. Another thing is that the girls that were in the article were [misrepresented</a> and taken out of context](<a href=“http://gawker.com/5468601/something-doesnt-add-up-for-the-women-of-the-new-math-on-campus-story]misrepresented”>http://gawker.com/5468601/something-doesnt-add-up-for-the-women-of-the-new-math-on-campus-story). </p>

<p>This post on the UNC blog clears some things up about the article (which I think severely misrepresents UNC):[UNC</a> Admissions Blog: New Math Doesn’t Quite Add Up](<a href=“http://unc-admissions.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-math-doesnt-quite-add-up.html]UNC”>UNC Admissions Blog: New Math Doesn't Quite Add Up). The [Daily</a> Tar Heel](<a href=“http://www.dailytarheel.com/content/‘new-math’-lacks-insight]Daily”>http://www.dailytarheel.com/content/‘new-math’-lacks-insight) also raises questions about the article.</p>

<p>Personally, all of the girls I know at UNC don’t condone cheating at all and are classier than some of the girls mentioned in the article. Of the guys that I know at UNC, most of them are in committed relationships. This is just my experience though.</p>

<p>Also, in the words of Stephen Farmer, “dating on college campuses, regardless of the male-female ratio, has been dead for a long time.” This isn’t just a problem at UNC, it’s a problem in most college campuses around the country where people “hook-up” rather than “date”.</p>

<p>So for those considering UNC, I hope you take that article with a grain of salt and realize that such problems exist in more places than UNC.</p>

<p>Thankyou BlackRose21,</p>

<p>So far its:

1. FAMU (I will get the most Merit Aid)
  2. UF (One of the top schools for my intended major)
  3. UCF (I like the campus and I got a $10,000 scholarship)</p>

<p>More than likely I will head to the hill. Its the only logical choice unless UF will offer me the same amount of money (which is very unlikely) What schools have you heard from?</p>