2014 African Americans!

<p>Okies, I’m a half ethiopian half black-american female, who is desperately looking to get out of the upper midwest. :)</p>

<p>also, i feel like when people ask me to tell them about myself on CC that I should post my stats lol, how weird is that?</p>

<p>Oh but I DO have a question I’ve always wanted to ask.
I’ve heard affirmative action makes it so that black students are essentially compared to other black students. So…</p>

<p>What do you think makes a competitive African American applicant at top schools?</p>

<p>hey thefranchize9, you made me think of a good idea. Why don’t we all tell a little about ourselves.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>haha. yeah, i could understand why you’d have that feeling!</p>

<p>Lol. Well CC is an amalgam of overachievers who don’t rest until they have achieved great things soo it’s natural that that is the first thing that comes to their minds. </p>

<p>Well about myself: I’m Haitian and was born in Haiti. I came here when I was four and have a great experience in this country. I feel empowered to strive for great things and to never forget to pull my people up out of their complacency. Sorry I can’t say more because I’m exhausted from explaining my life in my essay drafts. -__-</p>

<p>@thefranchize9- sounds interesting! i will continue this in your fashion :)</p>

<p>Well about myself: I’m Ethiopian/Black and was born in Atlanta, Georgia. However, I’ve grown up in a suburban midwestern community where conservative and isolated thought is just as commonplace as blonde hair or an abercrombie t-shirt. When I was younger I sought refuge in two places: Third World Cafe (a haven for African immigrants and young college students) and my mom’s women’s clinic. Thus through a series of fortunate events, my interest in international health is born.</p>

<p>Hmm, never thought of making that into an essay. Maybe it would work?</p>

<p>That sounds really interesting. We should set up an exchange system where we read each other’s essays and critique. What do you guys think? It would be through pivate messaging of course!</p>

<p>^ great idea, that would be a great support network!
:slight_smile:
hey decanela, i’m interested in international health too! And I’m not Ethiopian, but I have a few Ethiopian friends who think I look Ethiopian. lol.
btw, ethiopian food is amazing. just thought i’d put that out there ;)</p>

<p>oh awesome melody!
what schools are you looking into?

• what state do you live in? (i may have been to the same restaurants as you :p)</p>

<p>When do you guys want to begin reading each other’s essays?</p>

<p>yeah that sounds like a good idea. Do you want to do it through PM or through e-mail. </p>

<p>oh by the way I’m black/half-Jamaican and was born in Atlanta,GA, but didn’t grow up there.</p>

<p>decanela,
I’m applying to Yale SCEA. I’ve looked into it and I realllly love Yale, so I decided to give it a shot! I’m applying to a few other privates and some UCs (I’m from California). What about you?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Cambridge has always been my number one school. I fell in love with it when I was little and I still love it. It’s hard to explain. When I was in 9th grade I watched all of the interviews and did mock ones with whoever would go along.
Right now I’m actually thinking of just sticking other desirable British schools on my UCAS since applying in Britain is so easy. For all of them I fill in my UCAS and Cambridge is the only school in England where I actually have to do something else. It would be like if all we had t do was fill out the Com App.
And even without a cent of financial aid, Cambridge is quite a bit cheaper than my sister’s college. So I think my parents would be okay with the cost.
Now that I’ve actually started my applications though, I think I might cut off a couple. But even if I didn’t decide to cut any off, with my system, there’s basically no way I’ll apply to all of them. Basically, I’ll probably be applying to 8. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The Tiers were by how much I wanted to go to the schools, not by how highly they’re ranked. Maybe I should have used a different word than tier.</p>

<p>hey is Pomona college a good school? If heard a little about it and got something in the mail by them. But I wanted to get somebody’s view on it versus going on their website first. Thanks.:)</p>

<p>@Melody (ooh ethiopian restaurants in l.a. are good i heard + i went to one in sf once)
My indefinite list is:
Georgetown
Brown
Columbia
Duke
Boston U
Rice U</p>

<p>But I really do want to take a shot at HYP well mostly Y or P, any advice on differences between the two? I’m looking for a school in a more urban area, diverse student body, and that’s more laid back. I’ll be taking pre-med courses so having a laid back and collaborative student body is incredibly important to me. :p</p>

<p>Hey Melody, what are your stats like? It feels good to see another Yale hopeful. :)</p>

<p>Hey nice to see some other black kids interested in attending competitive colleges. I was wondering if you guys know at all whether competitive colleges (HYP, Georgetown, Stanford…) are at all forgiving when it comes to URMs with low gpa but high test scores?</p>

<p>Kosloff, I’m kind of in the same boat as you are. My school is really tough…like hardly anyone gets A’s…</p>

<p>what school is HYP?</p>

<p>HYP stands for Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.</p>