2015 African American Results Thread

<p>I just got a likely from Duke, so it looks like that’s my first acceptance! I feel a lot more relaxed for this wait now that I finally have one.</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Duke
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: I got the National Achievement Scholarship, but nothing from Duke yet.</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: 2210 (770CR 690M 750WR 8E). First and only time I took it.
[</em>] SAT IIs: 800 Bio M, 740 Chem, 740 Lit
[<em>] ACT: 34 Composite (35E 36R 30M 33S 9E)
[</em>] GPA: 94.7 UW at my high school, which I think translates to a 3.9. 3.88 for my college work [two Bs last semester :(].
[<em>] Rank: 8/330 weighted. 2/330 unweighted (My weighted rank went down because my high school doesn’t weight college courses).
[</em>] Ap Courses: Only Human Geography (5) and World History (5) because I started taking college courses instead after sophomore year.
[<em>] Other stats:
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Essays: Not the best thing ever written, because creative writing isn’t my forte, but I guess it worked. It showed the importance I place in diversity and world cultures. I showed a sense of humor too.
[<em>] Teacher Recs: Didn’t read. Should be good though. Both from college professors.
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Should be great. Also didn’t read, but she knows me very well.
[<em>] Hooks: URM
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: GA
[<em>] School Type: Public
[</em>] Gender: F
[<em>] major strength/weakness: Strength: SAT IIs and ACT. Success at rigorous college curriculum. Science research. Community service. Very active in intramural sports.
Weakness: I slacked off a bit last semester and got two Bs, but they were in fairly hard courses, so I hope that made up for it. I also could have had more leadership positions.
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: Good test scores and success at college-level work.
[<em>] significant awards/recognitions: NASF, NMSF, some science fair awards, got the most prestigious scholarship at the university I take courses at, highest SAT in my school
[</em>] summer activities: I did a basketball camp at my school once. Not much else.
[/ul]Other Factors: Not sure.</p>

<p>Oh I just noticed that I never posted stats:</p>

<p>Accepted to Johns Hopkins ED–didnt officially apply anywhere else.</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT (low :/) : 1950 (640CR 630M 680WR).
SAT IIs: 690 us history, 610 math 2</p>

<p>GPA: 4.3
Ap Courses: us history (4) and english lit (4) and i took a few college courses
Other stats:
Subjective:
Essays: i made them as creative as possible.
Good recs from counselor and teachers.
Hooks: URM
Location/Person:
State or Country: NJ
School Type: Public
major strength/weakness: Strength: essays. gpa. leadership positiions/political work. sports—SOCCER :slight_smile:
Weakness: SAT SCORES!
why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: well i did really well in the college courses that I took–leadership, writing ability
significant awards/recognitions:
And a lot of other stuff but you get the idea.
and i also did LEAD</p>

<p>I just got a likely from Columbia too. Same stats, except they didn’t get my SAT I. This is the best spring break ever!</p>

<p>^Congratulations! I’d really encourage you to make a visit during the Admitted Students days - it’s awesome, even if the dining hall options are less than stellar. :)</p>

<p>^ Thanks! Yeah I’m definitely going to visit, especially since I haven’t been back to New York in years.</p>

<p>I also got a likely from Amherst today. They only received my ACT scores. I also attended their diversity open house.</p>

<p>wow nne718 I’m jealous, I wish I was as lucky as you</p>

<p>:( well I was trying to hold off on posting again until I heard back from all schools, but the likelihood of me getting into some of those schools now seems pretty small so here goes…</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Drexel University, Goucher College, super safety state U
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: yeah Global Citizen Scholarship (10,000 per year @ Goucher) and some grant or something at Drexel don’t remember how much</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT:
SAT IIs:
ACT:
GPA: 3.6 or 3.7 UW 3.8 W
Ap Courses: APUSH, AP Lang, AP Econ, AP Psych, AP Stats
Other stats:
[ b]Subjective:**
Essays:
Teacher Recs: I don’t think I needed one for Drexel
Counselor Rec: ok I guess
Hooks: URM
Location/Person:
State or Country: south
School Type: public
major strength/weakness: sat score :confused:
why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: for both schools my stats were well within their range
significant awards/recognitions:
summer activities: summer job, summer program at a major public Uni
Other Factors:</p>

<p>Congrats to EVERYONE on this thread! High achievers.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted to University of California Santa Barbara, Mills College, California State Long Beach, and California State Northridge</p>

<p>Declined to University of California Los Angeles</p>

<p>Stats:</p>

<pre><code>* SAT I: 1690 (CR 620, Math 480, Writing 590)

• SAT II: Biology E 530, Literature 560
  • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.64
  • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): No Rank
  • Senior Year Course Load: Chemistry , Leadership, Jewelry, African American Lit, and Spanish II & World Theatre at Community College
    </code></pre>

<p>Subjective:</p>

<pre><code>* Job/Work Experience:
Interned in marketing at a major non-profit
Worked as a youth artist leader with middle school students in Theatre Arts
Worked as a Youth Volunteer Director for a global humanitarian non-profit.

• Volunteer/Community service:
    I volunteered as a volunteer coordinator for humanitarian efforts, a chair of the hospital’s teen volunteer advisory board, & a mentor and youth artist leader for theatre arts
  • Essays:
    I wrote about the things that I knew, like my life and passions. I tried to weave a story so that they really got an idea of who I really was.
    </code></pre>

<p>The Person</p>

<pre><code>* State: California

• School Type: Public/ Alternative School
  • Ethnicity: African American
  • Income Bracket: Under 15k
    </code></pre>

<p>Reflection</p>

<pre><code>* Strengths: I’m a community leader and I have been for a while. I am dedicated and a go-getter: My school didn’t have all of the courses I needed to fulfill my A-G requirements and so I went out and got them myself. I’m extremely self motivated and disciplined, as is required to be in this level of alternative learning.

• Weaknesses: SAT and not having access to AP classes
    *** Why you think you were accepted/deferred:** My application was unique. I’ve done alternative school where I only saw a teacher once a week. I did all of my school work at home and still excelled in most areas. I’m extremely active in my community and have overcome a lot, despite the many obstacles that I’ve faced.
    </code></pre>

<p>General Comments:
Stay active!</p>

<p>Accepted: uga, ga tech, Emory :slight_smile:
denied: harvard (haha I knew it… applied for fun)
[ b]Stats:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT:none
[ *] SAT IIs:none
[ *] ACT:34
[ *] GPA:3.97
[ *] Rank:3/456
[ *] Ap Courses: the usuall (9 total)
[ *] Other stats:
[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays: very very good
[ *] Teacher Recs: very good
[ *] Counselor Rec: the usual
[ *] Hooks: URM
[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country: ga, us
[ *] School Type: public
[ *] Gender:F
[ *] major strength/weakness: good scores and extracurricular
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: scores
[ *] significant awards/recognitions: a lot
[ *] summer activities: volunteering in hospital</p>

<p>reflection:
I’m so happy I got into Emory :slight_smile: I’m hoping to go into the med field so this is awsome… Emory has its own hospital and they tend to give volunteering/internship to those who graduated from Emory. here is a tip I learned: apply to more schools even if it means you have to write 2x the essays and pay more money. I wish I applied to Duke but I didn’t because I thought I couldn’t afford it (didn’t know about they financial aid policy). But oh well, Emory is still my #1 choice and cheaper (got scholarship :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>[ b]Stats:[ /b[ list]</p>

<p>[ *] SAT:2250 (highest composite score 800 Cr 690 M 760 W)
[ *] SAT IIs:730 Bio, 760 History
[ *] ACT:29–did not like, did not send
[ *] GPA:3.7 at the time of application</p>

<p>[ *] Rank: 23/294 at time of application
[ *] Ap Courses:Junior Year 3 AP courses, AP Bio:5 , APUSH:5, AP Lang: 5
Senior Year : AP Psych, AP Chem, AP Envi Sci, AP Lit, AP Calc
[ *] Other stats:?</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays:decent, my best one was for Columbia
[ *] Teacher Recs:probably good. I didn’t get to read them.
[ *] Counselor Rec:She loves me :slight_smile: I love her too. a lot.
[ *] Hooks: URM</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country: PA
[ *] School Type: public, sends 3-5 kids to ivies per year
[ *] Gender:F
[ *] major strength/weakness:speech league- lots of competitions/ weakness- my class rank was pretty bad</p>

<p>[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I don’t know why. I can only thank God.
[ *] significant awards/recognitions: placed in the top ten at state speech tournament in one event, lots of local forensic awards, qualified to CFL nationals
local/ state scientific competitions, AP Scholar, National Merit commended, National Achievement Scholar
[ *] summer activities babysitting, working at a lab?</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b] I have no clue. I am stunned by it. I never, ever thought I would get to be where I am. My eyes are watching God.</p>

<p>]Accepted to Johns Hopkins, Columbia University,Cornell (through likely letters)and University of Pittsburgh on a full ride scholarship </p>

<p>^Nice…</p>

<p>^^
Woah. Very nice. Good job.</p>

<p>ilikepizza, Congrats, and I’m glad you are happy. </p>

<p>Sorry about Harvard, but I hope you posted your rejection on the Harvard forum, since some folks would say you were a "shoe in ", maybe undermining the accomplishments of URM’s who were admitted.</p>

<p>Duke Cornell Waiting for decision
Tulane Miami Waitlisted
FSU UF Accepted
emory Accepted
AA female
3.7 unweighted 4.4 weighted according to transcript
34 ACT 1830 SAT 620 bio and 540 spanish- non native speaker
Pre-Ib, Ib and Ap courses
Left IB due to medical reasons second semester of junior year
current schedule:
AP Calc
AP Stats
AP lit
AP Pysch
Spanish 5
plus honors economics (mandatory) </p>

<p>ECs:
FCS historian
Excel - service club
Creative Clay volunteer
Youth Arts corps Apprentice
Cancer support group founder
Relay for life organizer for school
Gay-straight alliance member
plus afterschool job & summer internships
CONGRATS TO ALL OF THE GIFTED BROTHERS & SISTERS! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!</p>

<p>^^Harvard hasn’t released their decisions yet. Only likelies have gone out.</p>

<p>oh.nvm…(10 chars)</p>

<p>I got a likely letter from Duke and UVA, and I got into Cornell and was wait-listed at Washington University in St. Louis. </p>

<p>I don’t really feel like posting my stats just for personal reasons, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be going to Duke. (: We’ll see how BSAI goes next week!</p>

<p>I never got a likely letter, so I assumed that I didn’t. it doesn’t matter because I did ED2 to emory so I had to withdraw the app anyways. I didn’t think I would be a “shoe in” because I never took the SAT II (I thought it was optional because I took the ACT. I applied about 3 days before the deadline)</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Macalester College, Occidental College (assuming as I was invited to attend the Multicultural Visit Program) Skidmore College, University of Chicago</p>

<p>Where are you waiting for (Post results later): Amherst, Bowdoin, Carleton, Columbia, Dartmouth (<em>dream</em>), George Washington, Pomona, Stanford, Swarthmore, Vassar (<em>dream</em>), University of the Pacific, Yale.</p>

<p>Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: Catherine Lealtad Scholarship (Macalester {3k/year})</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: 1920: 600(M) 640(CR) 680(W)
[</em>] SAT IIs: 710 (Lit) 590 (Math 1)
[<em>] ACT:
[</em>] GPA:3.75
[<em>] Rank:16/348
[</em>] Ap Courses: Language (4) Music Theory (5) Biology (Senior Year) Literature (Senior Year). School only offers 8 AP’s.
[<em>] Other stats:
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Essays: Pretty good I’m guessing as UChicago really values the essay.
[<em>] Teacher Recs: Really good. Talked about my creativity and charm.
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Really good. Talked about how funny I am although I may seem serious all the time.
[<em>] Hooks: URM. Geographical location?
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: U.S. Virgin Islands
[<em>] School Type: Urban Public
[</em>] Gender: Male
[<em>] major strength/weakness:
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: My essay and strong ECs.
[<em>] significant awards/recognitions: Martin Luther King Jr. Student Role Model; Laws of Life Essay Contest (2nd Place); Principal’s Award; Poetry Out Loud Recitation Contest (In-School Winner); United Nations Scholar
[</em>] summer activities: Family vacation to England and France (2008); NSLC Forensic Science (2009); Family vacations to Mexico (2009); Family vacation to Greece, Italy, Spain, Turkey and Croatia (2010)
[/ul]Other Factors:[ul]
[li]Nothing really… The UChicago decision was soooo unexpected!! I was literally gasping for air how hard I was crying. I’m now considering the possibility of attending there.[/li][/ul]Final Thoughts:</p>

<p>I haven’t gotten much with regards to financial aid. My EFC was ridiculous so I think that negatively impacted my awards. Where I’ll officially attend is still up for grabs.</p>

<p>So far, I will be attending Boston College next fall! Still waiting to hear back from some other schools but I was accepted to Wesleyan, Northeastern, Fordham, and a few others =)</p>

<p>I am very proud of all you guys and I wish you all the best of luck!</p>