2015 African American Results Thread

<p>Where were you accepted: University of Florida, FSU, UCF, Southeastern University, NYU, Cornell
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: 40K at the University of FL - Presidential Platinum Scholarship</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
SAT: 690 Reading, 610 Writing, 590 Math (1280/1910)
SAT IIs: Didn’t take
ACT: 30 (34 Reading, 34 English, 25 Math, 31 Sci, 11 Essay)
GPA: 3.7/4.0, 4.17 weighted
Ap Courses: Taken AP Chem, Stat, World History, Language exams…in May, I’ll be taking Microeconomics, Enviro Sci, Literature, and Psych.
Other stats: A solid amount of extracurriculars. :)</p>

<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
Essays: Pretty good…I’m going to major in Journalism, so I really enjoy writing.
Teacher Recs: The one I read was awesome…can’t say anything for the second one.
**Counselor Rec: **Eh.
**Hooks: ** URM</p>

<p>[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
State or Country: Florida
School Type: Large public
major strength/weakness: Strengths: good essay/recs, a good number of leadership positions…Weaknesses: GPA, test scores
**why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: **Uh…all the Florida schools/NYU, I think my application alone was enough. Cornell, being a URM got me in.
**significant awards/recognitions: **National Achievement Outstanding Participant
summer activities: Volunteer at the Museum of Science and Industry, the University of Florida’s Summer Journalism Institute
[/ul]Other Factors: Waiting for Northwestern U but I’ll likely be going to UF no matter NU says because of the UF scholarship. :slight_smile: College season has been fun for me.</p>

<p>I got into UGA and Smith today! I’ll repost everything once I hear back from all my schools and receive my financial aid packages</p>

<p>DD never posts on here so I will post her acceptances for her.</p>

<p>Rejected - WashUStL</p>

<p>Accepted - UVA, William & Mary (full tuition) George Mason honors, FAMU (full ride), URichmond, Scripps, Williams, Hampton (full ride)</p>

<p>Still awaiting - Brown, Amherst, Stanford</p>

<p>Good luck to all of you!</p>

<p>Accepted: University of Alabama, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Auburn, Spelman, Xavier in Louisiana, Emory, Wofford, Rhodes, Vanderbilt</p>

<p>Rejected <em>cringe</em>: Wash U</p>

<p>Awaiting: Duke, Yale, and Harvard</p>

<p>Question for you guys…I didn’t get a likely letter from Duke. Does that mean my chances of getting in are significantly lower?</p>

<p>[bold]Updated[/bold]<br>
[ b]Stats:[ /b[ list]
[ *] SAT:2250 (highest composite score 800 Cr 690 M 760 W)
[ *] SAT IIs:730 Bio, 760 History
[ *] ACT:29–did not like, did not send
[ *] GPA:3.7 at the time of application</p>

<p>[ *] Rank: 23/294 at time of application
[ *] Ap Courses:Junior Year 3 AP courses, AP Bio:5 , APUSH:5, AP Lang: 5
Senior Year : AP Psych, AP Chem, AP Envi Sci, AP Lit, AP Calc
[ *] Other stats:?</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays:decent, my best one was for Columbia
[ *] Teacher Recsrobably good. I didn’t get to read them.
[ *] Counselor Rec:She loves me I love her too. a lot.
[ *] Hooks: URM</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country: PA
[ *] School Type: public, sends 3-5 kids to ivies per year
[ *] Gender:F
[ *] major strength/weakness:speech league- lots of competitions/ weakness- my class rank was pretty bad</p>

<p>[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I don’t know why. I can only thank God.
[ *] significant awards/recognitions: placed in the top ten at state speech tournament in one event, lots of local forensic awards, qualified to CFL nationals
local/ state scientific competitions, AP Scholar, National Merit commended, National Achievement Scholar
[ *] summer activities babysitting, working at a lab?</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b] I have no clue. I am stunned by it. I never, ever thought I would get to be where I am. My eyes are watching God.</p>

<p>Accepted to Johns Hopkins
Columbia University
Cornell ( all three through likely letters)
University of Pittsburgh on a full ride scholarship
NYU
BU(half-tuition scholarship)
GWU(15k per year)</p>

<p>Accepted to: UT-Austin, Stanford University, UPenn-Wharton (likely), Williams College (early write), Swarthmore College (early write), MIT, UChicago, Harvey Mudd College</p>

<p>Honors/Merit: Dean’s Scholars and Turing Scholars at UT-Austin (no scholarships yet), 5000 a year University Scholar at Chicago.</p>

<p>Waiting on: Harvard, Yale and Princeton</p>

<p>No rejections or waitlists so far. Hoping it stays that way s:</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: Superscore: 2180 (710 CR / 740 M / 730 W)
[</em>] SAT IIs: 760 Math II / 760 World / 730 Chem
[<em>] ACT: 32 (only sent to Stanford)
[</em>] GPA: 4.0 UW / 5.55 W
[<em>] Rank: 5/580
[</em>] AP/IB Courses: World 5, Chem 5, Stat 5, Psych 3, Calc BC, English Lit; Math Studies SL 7, Physics SL 6, Latin SL, History HL, English HL, Psych HL
[li] Other stats: </p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[<em>] Essays: My common app essay was pretty good. It’s been referenced in acceptance letters often. My EC Short Answer was meh. I think my supplement essays are average at best, but apparently the colleges are liking them.
[</em>] Teacher Recs: The one I read was good. The other, I think would be at least great.
[<em>] Counselor Rec: Probably good.
[</em>] Hooks: URM, MITES</p>

<p>[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[<em>] State or Country: TX
[</em>] School Type: Semi-competitive Public
[<em>] Gender: M
[</em>] major strength/weakness: I definitely made the most out of my high school / grade trend and “effort trend” were both kind of awful over the four years. My weighted GPA stayed at 5.55 for 7 semesters, with my class rank going down accordingly as others had better GPA trends.
[<em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I think my essays along with in-school course rigor and leadership is making the difference.
[</em>] significant awards/recognitions: Meh. AP Scholar with Honor, National Achievement (Then Semifinalist, now Scholar) I suppose. Then I have some Area/State level band awards that are nice. I’ve co-founded a club and led two others.
[li] summer activities: MITES! :D!</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Other Factors:
I suppose every college has seen something in me so far. I’m very fortunate to have been accepted to such great places.</p>

<p>I’ve recently been accepted to:</p>

<p>-Bowdoin College
-Carleton College
-George Washington University (15k/year)
-Vassar College</p>

<p>I’ve been very fortunate so far and I am so grateful. Check out my previous post for stats and other acceptances.</p>

<p>Accepted: Denison University, University of Minnesota (flagship), Lake Forest College, Iowa State University</p>

<p>Waitlist: Carleton College (tear, tear) University of Illinois (flagship)</p>

<p>Rejected: Northwestern (was not surprised.)</p>

<p>GPA: 2.76
weighted: 3.8744
ACT: 26 composite
Essays: Absolutely fantastic.</p>

<p>Note: Will most likely attend Denison. Perhaps Carleton if removed from waitlist.</p>

<p>What is it about Carleton for AA students? So many AA want to go; but they have one of the lowest AA graduation rates of any school in the nation</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: USC, UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine, UC Riverside
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program:
UC Riverside Highlander Merit Award
[ b]Stats:
[ *] SAT: 1970 (CR-650, M-670, W- 650)
[ *] SAT IIs: Math- 680, US Hist.-650
[ *] ACT:NA
[ *] GPA:4.05 weighted
[ *] Rank: 18/578
[ *] Ap Courses: Calculus AB, Eng. comp, Eng. lit, AP Statistics, AP Govt.
[ *] Other stats:NA
[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays:Very Strong- passionate description of vision for future career
[ *] Teacher Recs: Excellent
[ *] Counselor Rec:Excellent, Employer Rec turned in as well
[ *] Hooks: URM
[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country: CA
[ *] School Type:large public
[ *] Gender:male
[ *] major strength/weakness: Strength-AA male with strong math, science background,
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: good stats, strong essay, demonstrated interest
[ *] significant awards/recognitions: AA Youth Leadership, Alpha Phi Alpha Scholarship, Student Emmy for class production, Links Achiever
[ *] summer activities: Teacher Assistant at Summer Math program since 2008, AA leadership program
[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b]
Really excited to go away to college. Hopefully Financial Package will make USC a reality!</p>

<p>I was accepted to Georgetown =D</p>

<p>^Congratulations! Can you post your stats?</p>

<p>D was denied admission to Stanford today, it was her first choice and now that it’s off the table she will wait for decisions from Brown & Amherst and then make a decision.</p>

<p>I feel like May 1 will come so quickly, major life decision, huge investment and short time to make a decision. </p>

<p>Ugh!</p>

<p>Have not been on this thread since I posted my results but congrats to everyone!! Amazing job in high school and good luck in the future.</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: William & Mary (top choice), George Mason, James Madison, VCU, Drexel, Bradley, American, Virginia Tech, and Fordham</p>

<p>Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: 50k over 4 years at Bradley University</p>

<p>Denied: UVA (didn’t want to go because you have to take spanish for 2 years! lol), but the rejection really humbled me</p>

<p>Waitlisted: University of Richmond</p>

<p>[ b]Stats:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT: 1800 on my last sitting (math 630, reading 560, writing 610)
[ *] SAT IIs:
[ *] ACT: 24 (did not send)
[ *] GPA:3.874
[ *] Rank: 78
[ *] IB Courses: have not taken a course in high school that was not IB or MYP
[ *] Other stats:
[ *] Essays: they were decent
[ *] Teacher Recs: Spanish rec was AMAZING
[ *] Counselor Rec: pretty good… this was her first year and I was the first student she met. she said that I gave her a very good impression of the school
[ *] State or Country: VA
[ *] School Type: public magnet (only IB program in the county)
[ *] Gender: male
[ *] major strength: my package may not be the best but it is very well balanced
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: my class rank and gpa :/</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: UMD College Park, Upitt, Boston College, University of Chicago, Waitlisted at Williams College. Rejected: Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Columbia, Penn
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: Scholars Maryland</p>

<p>[ b]Stats:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT: 2100
[ *] SAT IIs:
[ *] ACT:
[ *] GPA: 3.58
[ *] Rank: No rank
[ *] Ap Courses: World History, Pysch, AB Calc, English Lang
[ *] Other stats:
[ *] Essays: I don’t know
[ *] Teacher Recs: hopefully okay
[ *] Counselor Rec: hopefully okay
[ *] State or Country: MD
[ *] School Type: public
[ *] Gender: Female
[ *] major strength/weakness: obviously GPA, SAT
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: my GPA!!!
[ *] significant awards/recognitions:
[ *] summer activities:
[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b]</p>

<p>So rather than post every single time I got a decision, I decided to wait until I got them all. Sooo happy I got into Yale.</p>

<p>Accepted: Yale (deferred EA), Columbia (likely letter/Kluge Scholar), Duke (likely), Amherst (early write/Schupf Scholar), WashU, GA Tech, Johns Hopkins, Emory
Rejected: Harvard
Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): 2210 (770CR 690M 750WR 8E). First and only time I took it. Only Duke and Yale got this.
[</em>] ACT: 34 composite (35E, 30M, 36R, 33S, 9 essay)
[<em>] SAT II (if submitted): 800 Bio M, 740 Chem, 740 Lit (retake), 700 Lit. Only Columbia and Yale saw the 700.
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 94.7 UW at my high school, which I think translates to a 3.9. 3.88 for my college work (two Bs last semester).
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 8/330 weighted (what my school uses for val/sal). 2/330 unweighted. My weighted rank dropped since my high school doesn’t weight college courses.
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): World History (5), Human Geography (5)
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis):
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: Microeconomics, Microbiology, Physics, Biology, Statistics, Linear Algebra, Spanish, a graduate-level English/film course, American Government. They’re all college courses.
[<em>] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Bronze medal at ISWEEEP, National Achievement and Merit (only semifinalist at time of application), some other science fair awards, STAR Student (highest SAT in my school), prestigious merit scholarship at the university I take classes at.
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Intramural ultimate frisbee, soccer, flag football, and softball (2 years), yearbook executive (2 years), ambassador for my school (1 year), microbiology and neuroscience research (3 years), a Nigerian cultural organization (4 years), a leadership program run by my county (1 year), JV basketball (2 years)
[<em>] Job/Work Experience: I teach biology to a group of undergraduates. Only Yale knew this.
[</em>] Volunteer/Community service: I’ve worked with local refugees for 2 years.
[<em>] Essays: Common App- I wrote about my interest in Japanese and Korean music lol. Sounds lame, but it seems to be working. It’s not the best thing ever written, because creative writing isn’t my forte, but it showed my appreciation of diversity and world cultures and my sense of humor.
[</em>] Teacher Recommendation: Should be good.
[<em>] Counselor Rec: Should also be good. She knows me very well.
[</em>] Additional Rec: Didn’t send.
[<em>] Interview: Had one for Yale, WashU, Harvard, Columbia. They were all good, but my Columbia interview was by far the best.
[/ul]Other[ul]
[</em>] Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
[<em>] Intended Major: Neuroscience
[</em>] State (if domestic applicant): GA
[<em>] Country (if international applicant):
[</em>] School Type: Public. Dual-enrolled.
[<em>] Ethnicity: Black (Nigerian-American)
[</em>] Gender: F
[<em>] Income Bracket: about 80k
[</em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM
[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[<em>] Strengths: Scores, hooks, research, college curriculum.
[</em>] Weaknesses: ACT math, two Bs last semester, Yale and Harvard supplements, Yale got rec from 10th grade teacher[/ul]</p>

<p>Updated
[ b]Stats:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT:2250 (highest composite score Cr:800 M:690 760W)
[ *] SAT IIs:730 Bio, 760 History
[ *] ACT:29–did not like, did not send
[ *] GPA:3.7 at the time of application</p>

<p>[ *] Rank: 23/294 at time of application
[ *] Ap Courses:Junior Year 3 AP courses, AP Bio:5 , APUSH:5, AP Lang: 5
Senior Year : AP Psych, AP Chem, AP Envi Sci, AP Lit, AP Calc
[ *] Other stats:?</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays:decent, my best one was for Columbia
[ *] Teacher Recs Probably good. I didn’t get to read them.
[ *] Counselor Rec:She loves me I love her too. a lot.
[ *] Hooks: URM</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country: PA
[ *] School Type: public, sends 3-5 kids to ivies per year
[ *] Gender:F
[ *] major strength/weakness:speech league- lots of competitions/ weakness- my class rank wasn’t in top 5%
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I don’t know why. I can only thank God.
[ *] significant awards/recognitions: placed in the top ten at state speech tournament in one event, lots of local forensic awards, qualified to CFL nationals
local/ state scientific competitions, AP Scholar, National Merit commended, National Achievement Scholar
[ *] summer activities babysitting, working at a lab?</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b] I have no clue. I am stunned by it. I never, ever thought I would get to be where I am. My eyes are watching God.</p>

<p>Accepted to Johns Hopkins
Columbia University
UPENN!!! :slight_smile:
Cornell
Tufts University
GWU(15k per year)
BU(half-tuition scholarship)
NYU
University of Pittsburgh on a full ride scholarship</p>

<p>Waitlisted
Princeton</p>

<p>Rejected
Brown</p>

<p>In retrospect, I am really happy with how everything turned out. College admissions have made me tense and I have been obsessively worrying for the last 2 years. I am happy it’s over. I am happy to join the ranks of African Americans at top colleges, a list I have dreamed of belonging to. I shall refer Brown to a specific Cee-lo Green song. Their loss. :)</p>

<p>good job!
Nigerians represent!</p>

<p>Yeah, I know. :)</p>