2015 African American Results Thread

<p>Haha ok!! Ok!</p>

<p>Africana94, I’d really encourage you to do the Destination Chicago Fly-in program! I did it last year, and I had an awesome time. Even if it is only for a few days, fruck school for once. :)</p>

<p>@ksarmand, oh yeah! I am definitely going to the Destination Chicago program. I mean it wouldn’t hurt to check out a school where I will possible be spending the next four years of my life!! Thanks for recommending it and reinforcing my thoughts on it!!</p>

<p>Got a few more responses. Accepted to:</p>

<p>-University of the Pacific
-Occidental College
-Pomona College</p>

<p>Rejected at:</p>

<p>Yale University
Columbia University
Stanford University</p>

<p>Waitlisted at:</p>

<p>Dartmouth College
Amherst College
Swarthmore College</p>

<p>My decisions are now over. Best of luck everyone!!</p>

<p>Wow, this year’s results are really impressive. I’m REALLY worried that I won’t even stand a chance at admissions next year if the competition is this good. :(</p>

<p>Soooo… First of all, ISLAND PEOPLE REPRESENT!</p>

<p>Second of all…</p>

<p>Rejected: Kenyon College, Wesleyan University, and Brown University
Waitlisted: None
Accepted: Clark University (Global Schloar 15K), Mount Holyoke College, Wheaton College MA (Community Scholar, 12.5 K), Union College (Presidential Scholar 6K), Colgate University, Hamilton College and Tufts University. So I am ecstatic, there are definitely some pro-con lists that need to be made. </p>

<p>I had decent scores (ok, they were kind of abysmal), great essays, great recs, IB Diploma, lots of EC’s that I am super committed to (President of a fair trade organization that sells coffee), a cool Internship at a magazine, good interviews, and the raw passion and desire to learn and to teach. I suppose the whole living in Asia my whole life thing might have helped too.</p>

<p>Accepted: Brown, Dartmouth, Penn, and Columbia. Waitlisted: Stanford and Yale. Decisions, decisions.</p>

<p>Accepted: Wesleyan University :smiley: Penn State, UPitt, Binghamton
Rejected: Dartmouth, UPenn, Brown, Amherst</p>

<p>objective:[ul]
[<em>] sat i (breakdown):1820 (630 Reading 560 Math 630 Writing)
[</em>] act: none
[<em>] sat ii (if submitted): 710 US History, 750 Biology
[</em>] unweighted gpa (out of 4.0): UW 3.3, W 3.5
[<em>] rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 60/320
[</em>] ap (place score in parenthesis): Biology 4, US History 4, English Lang 4,
[<em>] ib (place score in parenthesis):
[</em>] senior year course load: AP Psych, AP Stats,AP Government, AP English Lit
[li] major awards (usamo, intel etc.):[/ul]National and International awards at some MUN competitions.</p>[/li]
<p>[ b]subjective:**[ul]
[<em>] extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Vice President of my school’s Model United Nations team, helped contribute to 3 Best School Awards, won Outstanding and Best Delegate awards at Rutgers, Chicago, and Georgetown MUN Conferences, couple of best delegate awards at some district wide conferences and a lot of elementary school mentoring. Couple of other clubs but MUN was the crux of my application
[</em>] job/work experience: Worked at a pharmacy summer of 09
[<em>] volunteer/community service: Spent summer at UMDNJ observing clinical research
[</em>] essays: Discussed how MUN changed my life completely
[<em>] teacher recommendation: One was superb, from my MUN advisor and other one was pretty good.
[</em>] counselor rec: Decent
[<em>] additional rec: None
[</em>] interview:[/ul] None</p>

<p>other[ul]
[<em>] applied for financial aid?: Yes
[</em>] intended major: Neuroscience
[<em>] state (if domestic applicant): NY
[</em>] country (if international applicant):
[<em>] school type: Public
[</em>] ethnicity:Black
[<em>] gender:Male
[</em>] income bracket: 150,000+
[li] hooks (urm, first generation college, research, etc.):[/ul] AA male I guess, but at the more competitive schools, race doesn’t play as big of a factor as everyone thinks.</p>[/li]
<p>reflection[ul]
[<em>] strengths: Unbelievable dedication to my school’s MUN club, I did a lot more than what I stated above I just didn’t want to go on a tangent. High upward trend (decent grades from 7-9, good grades in 10th, then straight A’s in 11th)
[</em>] weaknesses: sat scores, gpa, leadership positions in about 2-3 other clubs
[li] why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected:[/ul][/li]Commonapp essay was the best thing I’ve ever written, profound dedication to Model United Nations showed that I have a lot to bring to a university.
general comments:</p>

<p>Although my GPA isn’t special at all, my grades in my junior year were stellar. Also, even though my SAT Scores seem low, the average SAT score at my school is about a 1400 and only a handful of kids in my graduating class scored higher than I did. My Amherst essay wasn’t really that good at all, I understand why I wasn’t accepted there. </p>

<p>Either attending psu or Wesleyan</p>

<p>Hey guys. Im goin to uchicago but I’m confused on what this destination chicago fly in thing is (i never heard of it). Im goin to the admitted student overnight thing this thurs and friday… Is that what y’all are talkin about?</p>

<p>By the way im african american, not nigerian or anything like that. There doesnt seem to be alot of AA blacks on here… Not that it matters.</p>

<p>Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using CC App</p>

<p>Quote:
possibly rejected for not taking SAT 2 tests
This is more than likely - SAT II exams are required for admission. </p>

<p>Thanks, @ksarmand, I’m positive some are accepted without SAT II’s.</p>

<p>DC, all of the schools you were rejected from require SAT IIs IF you only took the SAT. However, if you submitted an ACT (with Writing) score and just failed to mention that then that’s the only way you would have had any chance of being accepted to those schools.</p>

<p>@Blackbanana hi! I’m black too lol. You’ll love Chicago, it is the best city in the world. :slight_smile: (Not that I’m biased or anything because I live here).</p>

<p>Hey. Im from chicago too. I live in the suburbs of the chi… It’s like 35 min away. But thats not what im askin about lol. some ppl were talkin about a “Destination Chicago program”, but I don’t know what that is (never got any info about it). So like what is it?</p>

<p>Also, u goin to the admitted student thing this week?</p>

<p>Banana the destination Chicago weekend is the same as the admitted student weekend you are going to on thursday and friday. I hope to see you. I’ll be there too.</p>

<p>I’ve never heard of “Destination Chicago” either. Perhaps it is a new program they’re doing. Sometimes, schools will have smaller visitations ontop of their regular ones.
On a sidenote, I’m also repping the Chicago suburbs ;)</p>

<p>Hey, I hope to see all u guys there this week! Maybe ppl who live near chicago didnt hear about the Destination flyin thing cuz they dont have to flyin?..my guess. It was just called “admitted student overnight program” for me. There’s also one on the 14th and 15th.</p>

<p>@notredamebrother, r u comin to the program this week too?</p>

<p>No, I’m already in college (I’m actually abroad right now). But, I’m fairly familiar with UChicago. I hope you enjoy the visit.</p>

<p>Congrats students and parents! You guys are amazing!</p>

<p>PrinceMuzic, my son wants to know why you applied to Uniersity of Pacific. He did too, but he’s not applying to the caliber of schools like the other schools you applied to.</p>

<p>Here is my question, and sorry about taking the thread offtrack. My son is not interested in, or comfortable with, going to the diversity overnights. He wentto a sport recruiting one. He doesn’t think he really needs that. He has socializedwith almost NO black kids in his life, and I think that’s a factor. It is also a factor in why we are willingto pay big bucks for a private. </p>

<p>He IS interested in attending these schools, by the way.</p>

<p>Three yeas ago D went to several of these, at higher profile schools, and meta networkof kids she didn’t end up going to school with, but it was still a very useful experience. She was uncimfortable too, but eneded up at one of those schools in spite of that. </p>

<p>Any thoughts about the diversity overnights, and about socializing with a group of black students forthe first time?</p>

<p>^ I’m assuming the rest of your family is black. Why would socializing with black non-family members be that different? Unless you son is worried about not being “accepted” but there’s only relatively a few black students at the University of the Pacific, and I highly doubt there judgmental. In fact, most of them might be like your son, so he should definitely go to the diversity overnight. Also, diversity includes other cultures as well, so he will be meeting people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, which is always good.</p>

<p>DC, I’m sorry about the confusion - I wasn’t aware of the fact that the ACT with Writing could be substituted for a Subject Test, given that the [wording[/url</a>] on some websites is ambiguous. :slight_smile: I’m not sure if they altered things for this application cycle, however, given the following:</p>

<p>Which standardized tests does Harvard require?</p>

<p>Harvard requires applicants to submit the results of either the SAT Reasoning Test or the ACT with writing component. All applicants, must also submit the results of two SAT Subject Tests. The Admissions Committee continues to consider test results in light of students’ educational opportunities.</p>

<p>*Found [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/faq.html#8]here[/url].[/I”&gt;http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/faq.html#8]here](<a href=“http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/application_process/requirements.html]wording[/url”>http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/application_process/requirements.html).[/I</a>]</p>

<p>Good luck to your son at Georgetown!</p>