2015 African Americans thread...

<p>trying to write U chicago essays. But writing original essays…so hard.</p>

<p>those UChicago essays are awesome, wouldn’t you say?</p>

<p>omg my Chicago essays were terrible IMO … I put them off until the week before because they were asking for the weirdest artistic-ness out of me haha … And I thought the nyu haiku was bad -_-</p>

<p>Where can we find information about the diversity programs? What is the selection criteria?</p>

<p>I’m not sure how people are selected, but it doesnt matter in terms of admission (there was a poster rejected from Swarthmore’s visit, but accepted RD). Search for fall diversity programs, there is a huge thread</p>

<p>I was invited to a diversity program at UVA in October…I’m not sure if I want to go though. :confused: I feel like separating African Americans from everyone else would just make me feel uncomfortable not more comfortable…what is your take on these things?</p>

<p>^I don’t think these diversity programs only apply to black students.</p>

<p>Yeah, they are for minorities.
I can’t afford to visit any schools out of state–so I am applying to all the programs I can. Visits are so important, especially for someone like me who wants to apply to LACs.</p>

<p>This one said specifically African American students though.</p>

<p>Oh ok. Well, in that case it is pretty weird. I guess it just shows how desperate they are for black students. I think you should still go if it’s one of those free trips.</p>

<p>Yeah it is. I mean I like UVA, but I don’t like the way the letter was worded and stuff. Things like that just make me feel a little uncomfortable. They’re calling it a Fall Fling though, and then they have a Spring Fling for African American students in the Spring after they have been accepted to check out the University for an overnight thing.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/770660-fall-diversity-visit-programs-compilation.html?highlight=diversity+programs[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/770660-fall-diversity-visit-programs-compilation.html?highlight=diversity+programs&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^Thanks for posting that.</p>

<p>I got that invite to the UVA Fall Fling as well. The letter is specifically for African-Americans. I’m definitely considering going, even though I understand the whole feeling uncomfortable thing. I probably will too.</p>

<p>reviving this thread</p>

<p>I received a postcard from Swarthmore the other day, which “invited me” to apply to their Discover Swarthmore program, idk if I’m going to apply or not though</p>

<p>I think I might. I’m planning to apply to sooo many of these programs, because they are selective, from what I have heard. I really need to visit college campuses, so I’m really hoping it will help me narrow down my college list!</p>

<p>Ok well we all only have around five more days until we start the whole process. Who thinks they are ready?</p>

<p>I’m ready and very excited! I’ve been waiting for this day for a very long time</p>

<p>I don’t feel ready. I’m scared. I’m going to visit Pitt in PA through their diversity program. hmmmm.</p>

<p>D is ready. Goal is to get them all done (or mostly done) by September, let them sit for awhile and then review and revise a few weeks later. In the meantime, she wants to make sure her grades remain high (the colleges do request that first quarter/ semester report after all), study a bit for her last go at the SAT and do well in her varsity sport.</p>