2016 Fall Enrollment Stats, Continuing Big Out of State Enrollment Increase

With respect to high school guidance counselors, we live in suburban Chicago, and when we met with my daughter’s HS counselor 5 years ago and my daughter told him that she was applying to Alabama, he asked her why she would apply to Alabama and made a point of telling her that “our students prefer Auburn.” I cannot imagine how much familiarity a guidance counselor in Illinois who had never set foot on either campus could possibly have with public universities in Alabama, yet he was trying to steer my daughter away from Alabama and toward Auburn. I would not have believed it had I not been present to hear it myself. So I’m guessing that there are a lot of guidance counselors out there who feel free to rate and comment on schools about which they know very little.

^ interesting stat: http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=georgia&s=all&pg=2&id=139959 (look under the Admissions tab).
Of the 5233 admitted and enrolled students Fall 2015, 77% submitted SAT and 69% submitted ACT. That means two things: more students submitted SAT than ACT scores…and a lot submitted both test scores.

@“beth’s mom” Funny about your GC. When my D met with hers last year, he asked her what about UA because she was looking at all southern schools. We would have never even looked and now 6 months later, that is where she will be going next year. We are from Upstate NY.

@Atlanta68 - He has two 32 ACT’s. UA doesn’t superscore for scholarships but UGA superscores for admission.
He has a 33 super score.

How proud you must be! You must be a very good parent!

It’s fairly common for high performing in-state students in Florida and Georgia to take both test. Then they place the in-state flagship on list to get the free report. At UF, 81% submitted a SAT score, and 79% submitted an ACT score.

Also, some schools are reporting, in the CDS, which test they are using, so the % comes out at 100%. For example, UNF is 50.3% SAT and 49.7% ACT. No one submitted both test? Bah…

@Atlanta68 I’ve seen that video and I could probably find many more - what is the purpose of posting it? Not sure I understand?

sigh, he is discussing the intensity of the rivalry beyond football. I just though you would find it interesting.

@Atlanta68 My point, wait…I don’t think I had a point…

But if I did it would be that MichiganGeorgia’s son is not unique. Some folks score really well on the ACT or SAT, but do not have tippy top GPA’s. In the case of Georgia, a lot of those kids, who can’t get into GT or UGA (which combine only accept around 8,500 freshman) look out of state, often at UA, AU, etc.

The top 3 states (other than Alabama) that supplied freshman in 2015:
Georgia:566
Florida: 437
Texas: 414

I would guess a significant number of these Georgia students are scholarship winners (ACT scores of 27 or higher) that got rejected from UGA and/or GT.

The story in Florida may be a little different. Florida has a huge state population, and Alabama is popular in the panhandle. I’m sure “some” where rejected by UF, but these students are picking UA over FSU, UCF, USF, etc.

Of course with Texas, some of it is being driven by the top 10% (I think it’s currently 7%?) rule. If you’re not in the top 7% or so, of your class, you’re likely not getting into UT-Austin.

There is a rivalry, I never said their wasn’t I don’t think - but IMHO it’s not nearly as big a deal from the AU side as it is from the UA side of the state. “Sigh” there are a lot of videos out there about the rivalry - it’s fun and entertaining and is not much more than that.

Ok, so now we are both even. You think Auburn folks are more reasonable about this rivalry. Got it. Ok, you have the right to think that. For many Auburn folks, the perception of their school is based on the perceived contrast with Bama.

As an Alabamian since the age of 5, and as a graduate of the University of Alabama - with a husband and daughter who are also graduates, I do wish UA recruited more vigorously within the state. I do see more and more local kids going to Auburn over Alabama (which should please my Auburn grad son). More scholarship money seems to go to OOS kids. The enthusiasm of recruiters who work in the NE, Illinois, Texas, California and Florida doesn’t seem to match their in-state co-workers, who are trying to handle 12 or 15 counties at once. I DO think OOS students are wonderful - in addition to exposing Alabama kids to outside views, the OOS kids get an in-person look at our much-maligned state. But this lop-sided stat does NOT make sense to me. Isn’t UA supposed to be there for OUR kids as well?

As for Auburn - I get digs all the time from my AU friends about how UA is nothing but parties, the low average GPA of the average student, easy majors, anybody breathing is welcome yada yada yada. That’s why it’s so good to kick their asses when we can. To OOS folks, it’s just another game. To us, it’s everyday life, Every Single Day.

Saying something doesn’t make it true. Both colleges have an average accepted ACT of 27 and Alabama is more selective than Auburn 54% vs 78% in 2015.

@southlander Actually the requirements to get the Presidential scholarship for Alabama residents are less stringent
From the UA website: Presidential Scholar

A student with a 30-36 ACT, 1330-1600 old SAT score or 1390-1600 new SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive the value of tuition, or $41,800 over four years ($10,470 per year). Students graduating with remaining tuition scholarship semester(s) may utilize these monies toward graduate school and/or law school study at UA.

Out-of-state students must get a minimum 32 ACT score to qualify for the same merit aid.

Alabama students definitely have more merit money available from the state flagship (s) than say students from Texas.

^^ Not exactly. OOS students need a 32 to qualify for full tuition, but an OOS student with a 30 will receive an award equal to the value of 2/3 tuition, which is $17,976. So an OOS student with a 30 will get a larger scholarship than an in-state student. Of course, the scholarships for OOS students are larger because OOS tuition is higher, so an OOS student with a 30 will have to PAY more than an in-state student with the same stats, but the University is still giving the OOS student the larger scholarship.