2017 FB Page and Housing Question

<p>I have two questions :</p>

<p>1) When will the FB page for c/o 2017 be opened and who’s in charge of it ?</p>

<p>2) I noticed almost everyone on here is interested in the suite style housing such as lakeside, Ridgecrest, ect. However, I’ve chosen to go with traditional style dorms for the experience. Does anyone know personally about Burke Hall ? I’ve looked at the page on UA’s housing website. I’m looking for opinions and maybe past experiences ? Thanks :)</p>

<p>I’ve seen another thread asking about the FB page but have see no info on it.</p>

<p>I’m curious as well on the traditional style dorms. The Housing page gives layouts and some pictures but hopfully someone on here can post some first hand knowledge.</p>

<p>class of 2017 FB page is live. I just went out and liked it. Head out and do the same so we can all get to know each other. Start posting messages :)</p>

<p>Link please ? I can’t find it :(</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.facebook.com/TheUniversityOfAlabamaClassOf2017[/url]”>https://www.facebook.com/TheUniversityOfAlabamaClassOf2017&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It looks like you cant see people who liked the page. The only way for the class of 2017 to connect will be for us to share a post on the page.</p>

<p>I posted :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>A downfall of it being a page instead of a group. The 2016 one is a group which is a better format for conversation (IMO).</p>

<p>RE Burke: I will be at UA next week and I’ll be checking out Burke (need a dorm that stay open during breaks!) so I’ll post then with more info.</p>

<p>Okay cool ! I saw your post about paying for college alone and I’m pretty much in the same boat . . .</p>

<p>It’s a bummer, isn’t it? Thank goodness for that Presidential Scholarship…</p>

<p>Too bad I’m not eligible . LOL !</p>

<p>We had a family friend who lived in Burke last year.</p>

<p>Traditional rooms. Very close to campus and sports venues. Has a cafeteria in the first floor, which I liked because you didn’t have to leave the dorm if weather was bad.
Not far from Greek houses.</p>

<p>Burke is a pretty popular location for any number of reasons:

• athletes like it because it’s close to the athletic facilities
  • band members/music majors like it because it’s the closest to the music complex and practice field
  • it’s practically on top of the quad, and thus many academic buildings
  • it has its own dining hall and a convenience store
  • it’s across the street from the aquatic center which has a satellite recreation/workout facilities</p>

<p>This area of campus also has some long-standing events they do, like the Burke Block Party in the spring and smaller, more familiar communities. Sharing a bathroom means you get to know everyone around you.</p>

<p>Littlemissbama,</p>

<p>I think you’re on the right track considering all of your options for housing. I think it’s a good idea to identify three options ahead of room selection just in case and pay your enrollment deposit as early as possible to maximize your potential for getting your first choice.</p>

<p>If I were choosing, I would consider my personal needs and preferences, financial situation, location and proximity to other important places, and amenities. All of the dorms and communities are nice and have something unique to offer…no one size fits all here. Also, don’t be quick to make assumptions of what a particular community, building, or tower will be like based on past posts. Although the buildings don’t change much, the residents do…and that is what will decide the personality or feel of each dorm year after year…noisy, studious, etc. That can even change throughout the year as students settle in on campus.</p>

<p>After financial considerations, much of the selection process is simply personal preference. I don’t think you can go wrong here no matter what choice you make. :slight_smile: Roll Tide!</p>

<p>LMB - I saw you posted you’re not eligible for the Pres. scholarship and that you’re paying costs yourself. Just a thought but you should still fill out the scholarship app as soon as possible (you may already have).</p>

<p>My D didn’t qualify for Pres. level and I was thinking that might take UA out of her top choices. But, we just happened to get a flyer from the Eng college (after she went to camp there) showing that because of her major she could qualify to get bumped up to Pres. level. We never saw this Eng. scholarship info on the web site. We had looked at so many schools it was hard to keep track of who had what $$ to offer. </p>

<p>What’s your intended area of study? Maybe contacting that department directly might yield some help.</p>

<p>So I’m not officially accepted yet…</p>

<p>YOLO already joined the group. </p>

<p>I’m waiting on the September ACT scores to see what my final qualifications are for scholarships. If I can get bumped up to Presidential, then I’m 100% going.</p>

<p>Ridgecrest! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Maddsm, </p>

<p>Hahahaaa !! YOLO huh ? Hilarious . </p>

<p>Txdad13,</p>

<p>Okay ! Thanks so much for the tip :)) Good luck to your daughter .</p>

<p>Good morning! My S is a freshman living in Burke. He is also in the Honors College. It does seem that the majority of students want to live in the super suites. When he first started, he felt like he was the ONLY one in honors, who wasn’t in one of the north side dorms. His classes are not nearby, so a bike was in order.
I will say this - we chose Burke sight unseen, and come move-in day, I was thoroughly impressed! Very clean dorm, the hallways looked freshly painted and the bathrooms were big and roomy. No complaints here at all! S says it gets crazy there sometime, but I’m guessing even the super suites have their issues.
Also, he does the majority of his studying in the library, so that’s not an issues, as far as noise goes.
“Thumbs up” is my take on Burke!</p>