**2017 NHRP Scholars** — Scholarships

@Meddy, what type of scholarship is ASU offering? They removed all the info from their web site. When I called, I got a vague “it varies” response. I thought they usually recruited our kids pretty hard.

I missed calling today, but as soon as I get info, will post.

@AnotherNHRPMom @dietcig I spoke with ASU today and although still not finalized for next year, the scholarship offer to NHRP kids has remained consistent for the past 10years. Full tuition for OOS (no $ amount stated she said as if tuition increases each year, they cover) No housing, no meals, which is approximately 14k a year. Also a Barrett fee of $750 (each specific college has a fee $200-$800) All NHRP’s should receive a letter in late September stating what they offer for next year and an invitation for a comprehensive visit with offer to reimburse some of travel. Phew! So, barring any errors on my part or things missed, sounds like the same info posted on these boards and we should wait for the letters to know for sure.

Thanks @Meddy. I sure hope ASU gives that scholarship again. My son is very interested in going there!
As far as UK goes regarding diversity, I honestly don’t remember. We went at the beginning of May.

My son loved UCF and really liked Mississippi State. He was not so much a fan of UAB (no campus area to speak of) and UAH (too small for his taste, but everything looked pretty nice).

@AnotherNHRPMom What’s the deal with UCF? What are they offering NHRP’s? What was the area like? Btw, record breaking heat while at ASU. But it’s a dry heat :slight_smile: Planes weren’t able to land and although students only go through early May, classes begin in August when temps are still in the triple digits. Hey, but less $ spent on clothing; )

@Meddy, here was the info I received from UCF:
Students qualifying as Scholars in the NHRP program that apply and are admitted to UCF will be eligible for a $100,000 merit scholarship divided equally over eight semesters. To receive this award they must be classified as a non-Florida resident for tuition purposes.

@AnotherNHRPMom The website states the cost to be $15,718 for tuition, r &b. So then sounds like this a full ride for OOS. Is that right? Btw, a young teacher I know graduated from there and shows her students a slide show of her alma mater on college day. The college spirit and the pegasus superstition really leaves the kids wanting to go there.

@AnotherNHRPMom Oh wait… haha math and I broke up a long time ago…its probs tuition only =; :">

@AnotherNHRPMom Ooops my error. Math and I broke up a long time ago…its likely full tuition. :">

Found a few new ones, too tired to check for repeats (oh boy 3am!).
•Knox college 22k/yr full tuition is like 45k
•Abeline Christian university 6k/yr
•Willamette university 1k (one time?)
•Mississippi state 38k/yr (might be off) can possibly go up to full tuition. Very vague on that.
•Lawrence university 2k/yr
•Andrews university 6-12k/yr
•Carleton 2k/yr
•Indiana university 1k/yr
•Ball state university 5k+14k/yr
•Fort Hayes state university full ride +450/yr, must fulfill other requirements as well
•Southwestern Adventist university full tuition
•Middle Tennessee state university 6k/yr

More to come tomorrow if I have time. I’m visiting UKY later this week I’ll be sure to post about that as well. GL to all us nhrp kids :v:

Awesome work. I’m a praying NHRP mom O:-) UKY is one I’m keeping an eye on to see what they will offer class of 2018. Please let me know how the visit goes.

Recieved mailer today University of Nebraska offering NHRP kids full tuition and $2k stipend

@Meddy , did the postcard include the caveat of ACT 28 or 1260 SAT? That’s what’s on their web site at http://admissions.unl.edu/cost.aspx#scholarships/schol-2. My son didn’t do so well on his SAT, but is taking it again at the end of the month .

Nada. @AnotherNHRPMom. But that’s what it looks like on the website. I’m still waiting for UKY to update their NHRP offer for 2018.

My daughter is a senior at ASU who got the scholarship four years ago and has had a great experience. My second daughter is a freshman this year at another university but was also offered the scholarship at ASU and Nebraska. Having the distinction can also help get your child other scholarships, if that makes sense. It also helps if they’re trying to get into a prestigious university. Also, guys, don’t be dissuaded by tuition costs at the Ivy League schools. If your kids can get in, those schools give lots in financial aid.

I though the Ivy League schools primarily do needbased aid. My son really wants to go to Yale but w/o merit based and and we don’t qualify for need based it will be really expensive and I’m not sure it would be worth it . He wants to study medicine. I wish Kentucky will post what theyare doing with merit aid for fall of 2018. I have heard that ASU is a party school but how is being in the honors college different ?

@Arequipa I had heard the same thing, but if you look at the annual designation of party schools in the past few years, I don’t think they even make the top 10. We toured and liked the vibe, diversity and the architecture- even a Frank Lloyd Wright designed auditorium! It was striking on grounds sprinkled with palm trees. The university boasts being one of the largest public universities, but they make the campus(es) feel small and connected. Great bussing and rail system right from the main campus. 7,000 students enroll in the honors college, which they mentioned on the tour that approximately 50% were engineering and business majors. They have their own cafeteria and dorms. Now, about the Honors dorms…wow. All this to say my daughter hasn’t decided where she will go quite yet, but my younger kid was ready to move in! :))

Ivy league schools don’t have merit and are need-based only. Princeton and Harvard give the best need-based aid with family income of $250K a year still getting some aid and $140Kish a year getting full tuition. If your son is really focused on pre-med then saving as much as possible for med school would be the best strategy. Getting a high GPA, doing research, and/or working in a hospital is more important than a degree from an Ivy or high-priced private.

Totally agree on saving as much as possible for medschool . Our concern is that some of the schools that give a lot of merit-based aid are not the most well known . We are in Texas and UT Austin is a great school but would it be better to go out of state and pay less ? We have a lot of physicians ( grandpa , dad, uncles , and aunts) in the family and from personal experience the number of years it takes to finish medical school residency etc student debt is high and in our opinion it would be better if our son doesn’t use up his college fund for undergrad. He just fell in love with Yale - we told him to apply and he knows that if the cost is too high he needs to have other good backup options . Where you get your undergrad doesn’t matter much as far as getting into medschool as long as you are a good student etc . All of this we know from personal experience and trust me nobody asks my husband and his brothers where they did their undergrad when they see patients . That being said it is hard to decide where to go. Staying in Texas and paying in-State tuition or going out of state and paying tons. Will have to wait and see where he gets accepted .