2017 NYT Article & CC

Has anyone else looked at the NYT article re. schools that have more kids from top 1% than the bottom 60? CC is number 2 on that list. Not terribly surprising considering it’s quite $$ and not need blind, but what’s even more alarming is the graph showing the average salary at age 34- it’s around $40K. CC’s “dot”‘stands out because it has one of the highest median family income but lowest alumni salaries.
There is a very good chance my kid will end up at CC next year, and there’s a lot to love about it academically and in its unique block system, but that data is alarming.
Does anyone have any thoughts or insight?

If those are the numbers you shouldn’t go there.
Average salary is a function of the mix of majors.
It is also a function of the local economy – people tend to find jobs in the local economy. You need to be mentally prepared that your student may choose to settle into the local economy.

Those numbers are no longer accurate. Google for the CC first destination survey, and the 5 years out survey. CC reports median salary of 60-70k 5 years out.

The article came out 6 years ago and the data is more than a decade old by now. Things might have changed.

1 Like

Average salary (agreed, 2017 numbers could not still be accurate) could be a function of how many students go to grad school after college. If a lot of students pursue Ph.D.s, they won’t be making much money at all 5 years out of college, so they’ll throw off the average. 10 years out might be a better indicator.

Right but the data is for alums at the age of 34, about 12 years post college. Granted, they graduated around 2003, so, as others have pointed out, the picture could be vastly different 20 years later.

Whoops, I misread – I saw “5 years out” above and thought that was from the original survey. Even so, grad school will delay a career so that earnings in one’s early 30s will still be lower than average for a little while, depending on field and career trajectory.