2018 UC-Berkeley select public HS admission rates

@ProfessorPlum168 where did you find this list?

@Itiznotfare @ccprofandmomof2 the 2018 admissions (and prior years) by HS for all UCs can be found here: https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/admissions-source-school

It does include private schools as well, if there are more than 3 applicants for a given year.

Thank you! This is super interesting.

Note that https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/admissions-source-school also has transfer source school information as well.

Agreed this information is super interesting! We are OOS and our school is not even on the list :-(.
Hearing so much about yield rate and historical pattern, I hope they don’t just dismiss D’s Application right off the bat because “oh no one from that school ever applied”. I am pretty sure this year my D is the only one from her school who applied to the UCs. I know they don’t take legacies into account but before they make decisions I hope at least the saw where the parents went to college so they don’t just dismiss her. Her stats alone should be good enough to get in but we know stats is only half of the equation.

Just realized that my high school alma mater has the 5th lowest percentage of Cal admits for Northern California. Back in the dark ages it was likely higher (was admitted back in the day but ended up going to Santa Clara instead and people I knew wondered what I was doing).

It looks like more than half of the graduating class at Lynbrook applied to Cal. And if I recall, their yield to Cal is very high. Same with Monta Vista and Mission San Jose.

Curious as to whether the Harvard lawsuit has anything to do with it, as those 3 schools are majority Asian while the other 3 Bay Area pressure cookers (Gunn, Paly, Saratoga) still have large numbers of non-Asian students and for some Asian families, if the student fails to gain admissions to HYPS, then they ‘settle’ for Cal.

Very interesting, thanks! Looking at our neighboring high schools to see if anyone has a major advantage or disadvantage compared to the others around here. Also, I know UCLA was harder to get into last year than Berkeley but from our county it seems to be much lower odds
 maybe 2/3 or so. I don’t know if that was true state-wide or if UCLA has a preference for SoCal kids or what.

@washugrad at my kid’s school the Cal acceptance rate was over 20% but UCLA was around half of that. My theory is this: our school had a ton of 4.00-4.20 UC GPA students with 1500+ SAT scores (including my own kid) that applied and got in for L&S CS intent at Berkeley, but didn’t get into UCLA because UCLA only has CS for Engineering which is almost impossible to get in (seemingly) without the 4.0uw/1550 SAT stats. I suspect that a lot of the Bay Area kids with CS interest fell into this category.

@Nhatrang I definitely did not mean that Cal would not look at your child because no one from their school applied. As a matter of fact, it is probably helps, not hurts (i.e., adds to diversity).
Further, UC schools don’t seem to be as concerned about yields as many other highly competitive schools. If they were, it would be much harder to apply to UCLA and Cal simultaneously. E.g., other colleges, even if they are on the CommonApp, will have specific and time consuming supplemental essays to keep people from applying unless they really want to be considered and are willing to spend the time. Here, one fills out an application to UCLA and can apply to Berkeley for a $70 fee and no extra time spent. Then, yields are lower because this student ends up admitted at both and chooses only one.
However, it is harder for a kid with the same stats to get admission as an OOS than instate. I don’t know if Cal has a page like this, but look at “Quartiles – Admits” on the UCLA one here (http://www.admission.ucla.edu/Prospect/Adm_fr/Frosh_Prof18.htm)

Awesome info @gkalman, and thanks for sharing the link.

It’s interesting that OOS has higher acceptance rate than in-state, but also has higher stats. I always assumed that OOS has lower acceptance rate just b/c California requires the UCs to have 80% students from the state. D is on the 75th percentile for the unweighted GPA and SAT score. I don’t know about the UC weighted GPA. I think OOS has a disadvantage over in-state on the weighted GPA b/c the UC doesn’t weight the Honor courses for OOS, they only weight AP courses. But they do weight honor courses for in-state. I wonder why.

It’s very true about how easy it is to to just check the box for another UC and pay the additional $70. Almost the same applications pool applied to all the UCs. This explains the low enroll rate at other “lesser” UCs I suppose (i heard something like 10% for UCSB).

@Nhatrang where did you hear that UCSB’s yield is only 10%?

@Nhatrang - I think the answer to this question ‘I think OOS has a disadvantage over in-state on the weighted GPA b/c the UC doesn’t weight the Honor courses for OOS, they only weight AP courses. But they do weight honor courses for in-state. I wonder why.’- is that within CA, what is labeled an ‘honors’ course is very limited. At my kids’ high school for instance, the only classes with the ‘honors’ label are 4th year foreign language (for those not taking AP). We don’t have separate ‘regular’ and ‘honors’ geometry or chemistry, for instance. In 9th and 10th grade English there are levels called CP (college prep) and AS (advanced standing) but they don’t get the UC ‘honors’ bump.

@washugrad - no Honors for Honors Pre-Calc? Usually most in-state schools get the bump for that class. A few I noticed also get a bump for Honors English 12 and Honors Chem.

I wonder the same, @ProfessorPlum168 I thought those courses counted for in-state kids.

At our school most APs can only be taken in 11th and 12th grade. So even though D is in the highest level for math and English through out HS, she could only take Honors Pre-Cal, Honors Chem, in 10th grade. Honors English in 9th, 10th, and 11th grade, and AP English in 12th grade. Basically she took all honors in 9th, 10th grade (except gym), 4 AP in 11 and 4 AP in 12. But the only thing would contribute to the weighted GPA is the 4 APs she took in Junior year.

Thanks for all the responses - this is such a great place to release my anxiety <3

“where did you hear that UCSB’s yield is only 10%?”

The UCSB yield is in the high teens overall (~5000 out of 30,000 offers), but for Regents (i.e. the applicants most likely to get into UCB/UCLA) appears to be 5-10%.

The UCSB yield for out-of-state is 8% for 2018. It was 7% for the two prior years. So, from Nhatrag’s perspective, being OOS, it was about right.

If you are applying to a top UC with very good scores, it is too easy to gain a very descent “safety school” or two or three by simply clicking another box on the same application. Then yields are depressed for these “safety schools” schools. This is probably more true for OOS students who will attend a UCLA or Calc if admitted. But if not, will almost always end up choosing their top state school at fraction of the price of UCSB (even if UCSB is a better school).

A nice source for yield info is below. Just click on “Freshman Yield Rate” on the right and then you can choose a campus.
https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/freshman-admissions-summary

@Nhatrang - being OOS does have one implicit very slight advantage - all the UCs will maximize their quotas on OOS because they love the OOS money.

also, I’m also pretty sure that OOS students are being compared against other OOS students from an admissions perspective, so that the slight GPA boosts for in-state applicants doesn’t hurt the OOS applicants. On the other hand, the unweighted GPAs for accepted OOS students on average is higher than for accepted in-state.

@gkalman really cool info, thanks!

Do you know if the 80-20 rule in-state vs. OOS apply to each individual UC or for overall UC system? It seems that UCB/UCLA has lower than 80% (73-71%) instate but overall universitywide it’s 85% CA residents.

For OOS and International, there is a cap now - for Cal, UCLA, UCI and UCSD, the cap is whatever the level is as of 2017-18. Which for Cal is 24.5%, UCLA 22.8%. For the other schools, the level of OOS is capped at 18%.

@ProfessorPlum168 It boggled my mind with how high the weighted GPA is for OOS. How do people get so many AP courses in by the time they applied? (Senior grades are not even included)

As far as OOS money, I hear you. We will probably have to stop donating to Cal if D got in. All these talks are so premature and makes me nervous, I don’t want to jinx her already very slim chances of getting in.

It’s so strange, 22 years ago when I was dating hubby/bf at the time at Cal (he was doing PhD I was an undergrad). I said to him “if I ever have kid I would NOT send my kid here. This place is too cut throat for my taste, wouldn’t want my kid to go through what I am going through”. Hubby/bf said “Are you kidding me? I would send OUR kid here in a heartbeat!”

Here we are 22 years later, circle of life