2020 PRE-SCREEN THREAD

I saw an email notification from the getacceptd platform and the message was in my inbox on the getacceptd site.

@yfgntf123 Thank you. Good luck with the audition.

@yfgntf123 - my son auditioned there last year (percussion) and they should have their dates up on the JSOM website. They had a bunch to choose from last year. Good luck!!

I requested a date and 2nd choice on the application but they are gonna notify me of what day and time my audition.

Congrats, @yfgntf123 ! I’ll bet that felt good.

@Racingfan53, looking good with UNT!

arkham (son) BM Jazz Voice
11/25 Berklee - BM Performance: Voice

ClassCompMom (son) BM Composition
1/26 BoCo Interview

Doransa (son) BM Composition
3/9 University of Missouri

khill87 (daughter) BM vocal performance Soprano
12/7 University of Miami

MezzoMama (daughter) BM Classical Performance Mezzo-Soprano
2/29 Chapman University

mom2jw
12/7 University of Miami M.A.D.E. Program

Murray93 (daughter) Clarinet Performance
11/10 University of Puget Sound
1/24 Butler University

Musicmom2two (daughter) BM Music Ed Soprano
11/21 Berklee - BM Music Ed and Songwriting
12/7 Frost - BM Music Ed with Songwriting minor
1/11 Belmont - BM Music Ed (or commercial music)
1/24 UMich
2/8 FSU - BM Music Ed and commercial music
2/22 Rutgers/Mason Gross

MusicMomSC (son) for Contemporary Strings/ Production/Technology
12/7 University of Miami
1/18 Clemson
2/8 Univ Al @ Huntsville

OrangeJacket (daughter) Mezzo
11/16 Oklahoma City University for double major MT and VP
12/07 Baylor University for VP
2/29 UNT—Music Ed

Racingfan53 Classical Mezzo-Soprano
11/11 Azusa Pacific University BA Music
1/25 FSU BM Music Ed
2/29 UNT BM Music Ed

Raincat (son) BM Jazz Piano
12/7 Berklee

SweetStrings (daughter) BM Violin Performance
1/16 University of Florida
2/22 Florida State University

tableforsix (son) BM Cello Performance
2/15 Oberlin

yfgntf123 BM Violin performance
TBA Indiana University/Jacobs

Everyone - I’ll put up an acceptance thread in late December. I know we have a few acceptances already (woohoo!) but you’ll have to tell me again to make sure I don’t miss anything. I’ll let you know when we’re open for business.

For now, let’s watch those prescreens roll in! Good luck to all.

Thank you! So helpful. I’m glad I found this site!

Hi everyone. Just confirmed another audition for UC Santa Barbara on 2.1. They were so nice to try and contact my kid twice, since her other email was not working and they were wondering why she did not sign up for her audition!

arkham (son) BM Jazz Voice
11/25 Berklee - BM Performance: Voice

ClassCompMom (son) BM Composition
1/26 BoCo Interview

Doransa (son) BM Composition
3/9 University of Missouri

khill87 (daughter) BM vocal performance Soprano
12/7 University of Miami

MezzoMama (daughter) BM Classical Performance Mezzo-Soprano
2/1 UC Santa Barbara
2/29 Chapman University

mom2jw
12/7 University of Miami M.A.D.E. Program

Murray93 (daughter) Clarinet Performance
11/10 University of Puget Sound
1/24 Butler University

Musicmom2two (daughter) BM Music Ed Soprano
11/21 Berklee - BM Music Ed and Songwriting
12/7 Frost - BM Music Ed with Songwriting minor
1/11 Belmont - BM Music Ed (or commercial music)
1/24 UMich
2/8 FSU - BM Music Ed and commercial music
2/22 Rutgers/Mason Gross

MusicMomSC (son) for Contemporary Strings/ Production/Technology
12/7 University of Miami
1/18 Clemson
2/8 Univ Al @ Huntsville

OrangeJacket (daughter) Mezzo
11/16 Oklahoma City University for double major MT and VP
12/07 Baylor University for VP
2/29 UNT—Music Ed

Racingfan53 Classical Mezzo-Soprano
11/11 Azusa Pacific University BA Music
1/25 FSU BM Music Ed
2/29 UNT BM Music Ed
Video Audition - University of Kansas

Raincat (son) BM Jazz Piano
12/7 Berklee

SweetStrings (daughter) BM Violin Performance
1/16 University of Florida
2/21 Lynn Conservatory
2/22 Florida State University

tableforsix (son) BM Cello Performance
2/15 Oberlin

yfgntf123 BM Violin performance
TBA Indiana University/Jacobs

Anyone prescreening for MM?? Or here are all undergrad?

@2427Mom I think so far undergrad.

@2427Mom there is at least one MM parent following this year that I know of. When my D was applying for her MM I used this site. It is heavy for UG but there are always a few MM candidates each year. So feel free to participate…and share your knowledge and experience.

And for everyone else…as 12/15 approaches the pre-screen log jam will start to break. The landscape should start to really come into view over the next 4 weeks. But of course the ones you want to hear from the most will NOT be until early January…just to drive you crazy. I always like to imagine the results are DONE and on an administrator’s desk during the holiday break covered in cookie crumbs from the end of year holiday party…just waiting for school to open again and for that person to begin the emails. If only there hadn’t been that party, you may have known by winter break…

Good luck!!

Thank you so much for doing this!! I’ve been reading the threads and thought I’ll join the fun!!

@tableforsix you are rocking this! Great work!

When daughter is (hopefully) notified that she has passed prescreens do they typically give you a set audition date or a number of choices? It seems like so many of the programs have overlapping dates.

@rudydog66 - it depends on the school/program. Generally you can attempt to change dates. We were able to do that for a school. It doesn’t hurt to try if necessary. However if your D passes a lot of pre-screens (which typically indicates some acceptances will be forthcoming from auditions), you may need to decide which program(s) is the least attractive and do a video submission. You CAN get acceptances off video submissions. So that is what I meant earlier by “the landscape” will come into view in the next few weeks…what you can and can’t do…and how to move forward with auditions.

Good luck!!

@rudydog66 - They usually have dates posted up on their sites and let you make a choice (sometimes give them 1st, 2nd etc.). We found most schools very accommodating with giving you your first choice - especially with overlapping dates/travel issues. They know students are auditioning at multiple schools.

Thanks so much for clarifying and for explaining the video option. It would be rather nice if there were too many auditions to fit in and she had to resort to send a video or two. Wishful thinking.
Good luck to everyone!

Sorry to be messing up the pre-screen thread…but I’m bored at work. So I thought I would just share how I agreed yesterday to pay a change fee for my D’s holiday flight so she could do an audition that she was surprisingly invited to…on the day of her flight. Heavy sigh…it never ends.

If you are worried about flights for auditions and how the heck that will work…get used to it!! FYI my D is self-supporting but at Xmas time with the added expenses, it was my gift to her. She is always so grateful her parents support and believe in her…enough to pull out the old wallet from time to time. You go “worried and soon-to-be poor” parents!

I’m so ready for the ‘log jam’ to break! We’ve only heard from one of the nine schools that we sent precsreens to. Fortunately D passed that one but she’s really anxious to hear back from those eight other schools.