2020 PRE-SCREEN THREAD

IU audition is on 1/18

So much exciting news. Congrats, everyone!!

Wow!!! So much amazing news this week! Fingers still anxiously crossed for USC; hoping the results come out tomorrow…

Hi I am new here. So far my daughter got auditions for BM VP at Mannes and MSM and Aaron Copland School of Music.

Passed 1st step at Curtis!! Won’t find out about 2nd step (whether he gets an interview) until Feb :frowning: But still great news that he’s moving forward! Let’s wait to see if he gets interview before we list it since it’s still very much pending.

@ClassCompMom what does this mean? What was the first step and how does it differ from being granted an interview? D heard from Curtis today too- that her application has been received and is under review. Is that what you meant?

same here… I did not know it was a first step.

My understanding is that the composition process is different - since they don’t audition, but do have an interview. Maybe I’m wrong and every applicant got the same email. Sigh. I know the composition they narrow it to 10 first. Then they decide who to invite for interviews.

Any idea how many voice openings? I know comp was only 1 last year and 2-3 this year - they only have 6 comp students (grad and undergrad) overall.

Don’t know for sure but I think they may take 1-2 per voice type so let’s say 4-6 slots in total on a good year. Some years they don’t take any of a type. I think this was just a general email saying the process has begun. Until they have been granted an audition ( or interview) I would not assume there has been any news.

In the past Curtis did invites very late (late Jan?) and auditions late…like mid March. But they do reject you quickly! My D was thrown to the curb after the first round. Rumor was there was one spot.

My son is auditioning for Eastman BM Violin on 2/7.
Reserved a hotel (Hyatt Rochester) for the night before.

Son BM Composition

2/28 SFC (Regional NYC)

San Francisco Conservatory of Music just emailed my daughter with and update. She will be invited for in-person audition. They will send another email “shortly”.
BM voice (mezzo soprano)

Son got same email, but the only NYC regional interview/audition is 2/28 - since he chose regional :slight_smile: Congrats!

2427Mom (daughter) Piano Performance
TBA BoCo

arkham (son) BM Jazz Voice
11/25 Berklee - BM Performance: Voice
Video Audition Univ of North Texas
Video Audition Loyola New Orleans
Audio Audition William Patterson

bonfigleo (son) BM Horn Performance
2/3 Rice/Shepherd

ClassCompMom (son) BM Composition
1/26 BoCo Interview
2/9 CIM
2/28 SFCM (regional NYC)

Doransa (son) BM Composition
1/25 Univ of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (CCM)
TBA IU/Jacobs
2/2 CIM
2/22 Oberlin
2/28 Eastman
3/9 University of Missouri

flutyMcFluteface (daughter) BM Jazz Sax and/or Flute Performance
1/11 Berklee Jazz Sax
1/19 BoCo Flute
2/1 Oberlin Flute
2/3 Ithaca Jazz Sax and Flute
2/21 Oberlin Jazz Sax
3/1 Mannes Flute

GalaOvsi (daughter) BM VP
Mannes
MSM
Aaron Copland School of Music

IronCitEE (daughter) BM Violin Performance
3/6 IU/Jacobs
TBA MSM

jazz2020mom (son) BM Jazz Studies Trombone
2/1 UNT
2/8 Rutgers
2/28 Eastman
TBA MSM

JoHollywood (son) MM VP Opera Tenor
1/11 Univ of British Columbia
TBA IU/Jacobs
1/25 BoCo

khill87 (daughter) BM vocal performance Soprano
12/7 University of Miami
1/27 Peabody (regional audition)
2/15 Oberlin

MezzoDadbynight (daughter) BM VP Mezzo
11/9 Pepperdine EA
12/6 Baylor Univ EA
12/7 Southern Methodist University/Meadows EA
2/22 Oberlin
TBA DePauw EA (prescreen waived)
TBA Rice/Shepherd
TBA MSM

MezzoMama (daughter) BM Classical Vocal Performance Mezzo-Soprano
2/1 UC Santa Barbara
2/29 Chapman University
TBA SFCM

mom2clarinetobsessedkid BM Clarinet Performance
IU/Jacobs
NYU/Steinhardt
Shenandoah Conservatory
Temple/Boyer
University of Michigan SMTD

mom2jw
12/7 University of Miami M.A.D.E. Program

Murray93 (daughter) Clarinet Performance
11/10 University of Puget Sound
1/24 Butler University

Musicmom2two (daughter) BM Music Ed Soprano
11/21 Berklee - BM Music Ed and Songwriting
12/7 Frost - BM Music Ed with Songwriting minor
1/11 Belmont - BM Music Ed (or commercial music)
1/24 UMich SMTD
2/8 FSU - BM Music Ed and commercial music
2/22 Rutgers/Mason Gross

MusicMomSC (son) for Contemporary Strings/ Production/Technology
11/1 Video Audition ELON for MRPA - accepted 12/18!
12/7 University of Miami
1/18 Clemson
2/8 Univ Al @ Huntsville

OrangeJacket (daughter) Mezzo Soprano
11/16 Oklahoma City University for double major MT and VP
12/07 Baylor University for VP
1/18 UT Austin VP
2/29 UNT—Music Ed

Racingfan53 Classical Mezzo-Soprano
11/11 Azusa Pacific University BA Music
1/25 FSU BM Music Ed
2/29 UNT BM Music Ed
Video Audition - University of Kansas

Raincat (son) BM Jazz Piano
12/7 Berklee

rudydog66 (daughter) VP Soprano
1/17 NYU/Steinhardt
1/25 UT Austin
1/26 UF
2/1 UC Santa Barbara
2/7 U Michigan SMTD

runninglate (daughter) BM VP Mezzo Soprano
2/1 UT Austin
2/22 Oberlin
TBA Indiana/Jacobs
Video Audition SFCM
Video Audition Peabody
Video Audition Loyola

Senior2016M
1/31 Univ of Michigan SMTD
TBA IU/Jacobs

songbirdmama (daughter) MM Vocal Performance/Opera Soprano
1/18 IU/Jacobs
3/6 Mannes

studentcomposer1 BM Composition
TBA Rice/Shepherd

SweetStrings (daughter) BM Violin Performance
1/16 University of Florida
2/1 Oberlin
2/21 Lynn Conservatory
2/22 Florida State University
2/28 Manhattan School of Music

tableforsix (son) BM Cello Performance
University of Michigan SMTD
Oberlin
CIM

Violin87 (son) BM Violin
2/7 Eastman

yfgntf123 BM Violin performance
1/18 Indiana University/Jacobs
2/14 Eastman
3/1 CIM

Just wanted to say to our hopeful applicants - if you got rejected from a prescreen you’re not the only one. It may feel like it because we aren’t really talking about that here. I promise you’re not alone with the disappointment. You’re doing great and it’s going to work out!

SFCM audition just confirmed the date: Sunday, February 9, 2020.

Also for the previous comment. I am telling my daughter that the place she is going to finally choose (or be chosen) is the one that is right for her. This is coming from not placing anywhere in YoungArts…and being massively disappointed. Our kids chose the field where disappointment and subjectivity will be their constant companions. So gotta learn fast. We will still love them and for us (parents) they are the best.

Lot’s of great news here, congrats to all of you! Our MM VP candidate had a good week too, confirmed audition at SFCM (2/26) and just heard from NEC this morning (2/23).

Confirmed at SFCM on February 9th, and just heard from New England Conservatory of Music ( they gave two options for dates and will confirm later).

This list is just getting more amazing. Your kids’ talent is OFF THE HOOK! I hope there is a lot of high fiving going on in all your households right now. For those who are also getting rejections and/or acceptances that aren’t feasible – this too will pass. I hope your kids will always take chances and reach for the moon; as they say, even if you don’t get there, you will land among the stars.

Quick note for @violin87 and the other Eastman applicants – lots of nice hotels in the area, but we especially love the Strathallan Hilton. It’s in a really nice neighborhood, abut half a mile from the campus – free parking, walkable, they have a shuttle, or it is a super cheap uber – and surrounded by mansions, museums and fun places to eat. Doubles and one-bedroom suites, which are nice if your kid wants his/her privacy and doesn’t mind the sofabed. Great way to get the best of the Rochester vibe. Not the cheapest, but points build up quick if you join the Hilton club (it’s free); we already scored a free night. No matter where you book, worth asking if they have a discount for Eastman applicants!