***2022-2023 Medical School Applicants and Their Parents ***

This thread is for the current year MD, DO and other applicants and their parents to discuss various schools, application timelines, processes, and seek support as needed. Past threads are listed so people can review some of the questions already asked and answered.

We did not have many participants in the last cycle and hope we have people participate about their apps and have lively discussions here.

No Applicants or parents of applicants this year?

Advice on school list? High stats, good ECs and research. Working on secondaries and wondering if adding some schools might be good.

Tufts University School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Weill Cornell Medicine
New York University Grossman School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Yale School of Medicine
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Case
John Hopkins University
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
WUSTL
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Chicago
Mayo
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
UVM
Jefferson
NYMC

I don’t know enough to offer advice, but will be in the cheerleading section!

1 Like

I would say 3.8-3.9, research, 523+ is a starting point for many of the schools on this list. Going to elite undergrad helps but not a must for the interview with those stats.

Couple of parents in 2021 thread whose kids were admitted to several of the schools on this list. Both went to Vanderbilt and graduated with very high stats.

2 Likes

Rochester is on the list!

1 Like

What ever your home state schools are, apply to them, and then cut schools you have no chance because of your state residency. This is quite a reach list.

Massachusetts is home state. What schools would you cut for residency reasons? What would you add that would be less of a reach but OOS friendly?

I only see UCSF as a public outside of Mass. Since everything else is private it wont make a difference. UCSF has not had a home state preference.

1 Like

According to the MSAR, UCSF interviewed 404 in-state and 197 OOS. 138 in-state matriculated and 38 OOS. There doesn’t seem to be a difference between MCAT and GPA of the IS/OOS.

1 Like

Interesting numbers. Does it say how many OOS were admitted? It is lot more expensive for OOS and so if they get admitted but have a cheaper option, they may choose that if there is no scholarship.

2 Likes

We stayed away from public OOS because of IS preference for most of them. Some connections to UCSF and Bay Area so kept that in. UCSF is the only one out of the 25 schools that has not sent him a secondary (yet)

I hate to say this…but getting a secondary is simply a cash cow for these medical schools, in my opinion. Many just send secondaries to everyone who applies…it’s not an indication of the strength of your application or potential to get an interview invite…or acceptance.

4 Likes

Yes, I am aware. There are some, like Vanderbilt, that screen but the rest just send them to everyone. Not UCSF though.

Chicago sends it to everyone and at one time rejecting them within a week. They have somewhat changed a bit and now wait longer than a week.

Has anyone gotten accepted to these medical colleges?

• Wayne State University
  • EVMS
  • University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
  • Penn State Collegeof Medicine
  • Texas Tech at El Paso (Out of State)
  • University of Texas at Rio Grande Valley (Out of State)
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University

I’ve interviewed at these colleges and have been waitlisted at Wayne State and EVMS. I haven’t heard back from the other colleges yet.

Texas Tech and Rio Grande have very few OOS seats (Texas allows 10% which means Rio probably has only 4 or 5). They dont over admit in that quota and will have to wait until others have turned their admission down.

Thank you for your input @texaspg! I agree that my chances at both Texas Tech and Rio Grande are quite low.

Currently, I am trying to decide which school to denote as my top choice. I want to send my “letter of intent” and “letters of intent” soon, that’s why. I saw that according to the US News ranking, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine ranks the highest out of these colleges. However, Penn State College of Medicine has a reputation of being a good school, but has chosen to opt out of the US News ranking altogether. In your opinion, which school should I give preference to?

Thanks in advance for your help!

@Hopeful_Soul_101 Are you instate at any of these schools? Usually you have most chance instate but some schools also work better based on interviewed to admitted ratio. Please check out the attached spreadsheet to see where you get the best opportunity.

The letter of intent is kind of iffy in real usage terms if you are still trying to get an admission. You truly want to attend any medical school that would admit you so you should be sending a letter to all of them intending to attend if any admit you. You may not say that is the school you want to attend to all of them but you need to express an interest in attending if admitted.

3 Likes