2022 New York Times Summer Academy

I wanted to make this thread as I keep checking around and seeing if there are people talking about SoNYT yet, and so far I’ve come up empty.

I applied for Early Decision- they said decisions should come out in 4-6 weeks after the application, so I guess we just sit tight. Today, I found out my recommender didn’t submit his letter of recommendation- he’s going to see if he can late, and email the staff, but now I’m pretty nervous : / Anyway, hopefully, this can just be a thread to wait in as we anticipate decisions.

Got an email an hour ago with the decision

i got my decision back a few hours ago and i was accepted! i hope you got accepted too : )

I got accepted! Unfortunately, the financial aid is falling a bit short of what is plausible for me to pay : / anyone in a similar situation?

When is the deadline to pay? If you’re comfortable sharing how much do you need to pay? Maybe there’s some scholarships you can get or awards you can win to get the rest.

I have to get the deposit in by March 1st, which is actually being covered by my principal and the remainder is being taken care of by my local college that I take classes at. I am really lucky to have that. However, I will still need to pay 1k before June 1st, and I am finding ways to raise that money. If you have any ideas, I am open to suggestions. Do you think I should make a separate post to ask for ideas?

1 Like

I think you should make a donation post as well. Maybe freelance graphic design or art if you’re in that field, using fiverr or up work. If you can drive maybe do Uber (if over 18). If you like dogs, try signing up for Rover, it’s a dog service app. If you have the time, apply to a City internship position or the senate page program, it makes money and it looks great on college apps. UserTesting Pays 120 USD for a live conversation with a costumer. You can try to donate plasma. If you can, try to sell anything valuable you have that isn’t a necessity.

What state are you in? I have a few scholarships listed but some depend on what state you’re from.

Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference is a good one. Homepage - Freedom Forum

L. Ron Hubbard Writers of The Future Contest

Morning Brew Tech & Business News Scholarship

The Fountain Head Contest

Just some random ones here:

Some of these deadlines are soon, so I’d get on it. I hope everything turns out well, let me know if you get it all sorted out. I’ll be on the lookout for the donation page if you ever make one :))

Thank you so much for your care in making this post- I will check all of this out and I will do my best. I appreciate the effort you put into this for me. Thank you so much, again!

1 Like

By any chance you know anyone from San Francisco that will go to the DC campus early July? My daughter is a rising junior so I try to find a student that can travel together. Thanks!