2022 USNews Rankings posted

Your post 277 stated, “Is Payscale (“PS”), from which Forbes cites median salaries for each of its ranked colleges, still only using baccalaureate degree holders for its salary reporting? They weigh this variable at 20%, which is pretty significant.” You implied Forbes’ ranking weights Payscale salary at 20%. I replied saying that the 20% salary weighting you mentioned was computed from half (10%) CS salary and half (10%) Payscale salary, rather than all (20%) Payscale. I see no further reason to rehash the previous comments from many dozens of posts earlier , but if you read each of my replies, it should be clear what I was replying to and how I came to the conclusion, and the later posts did reply to the bulk of content in your posts. However, the later replies were not talking about comments in post #277. They were talking about the comments quoted in that reply.

This is a non-entity, because you keep ignoring the fact that CS doesn’t compute a median salary for a college as a whole, but PS does. How many times do I have to say this?

Me: My problem is your constant argumentative mode, probably remnants of our run-ins in the past – if you don’t remember as on the UC board.

What you’re not following is that that is your style. You get into these insignificant arguments and you latch onto them as if your life depended on it, and our run-in on the UC board was just a couple of yeas ago. You kept arguing from a UCB study that stated that the college board tests were completely insignificant, when the UC was using them to find nuggets – not necessarily high test scorers – who scored well in relation to their economic status.

CS presents the median by major as well as overall. A user can consider either or both. I personally find it meaningful to control for major when comparing salary, so you are comparing mechanical engineering majors at college A to mechanical engineering majors at college B… rather than comparing the median overall salary tech college A with mostly tech majors to the median overall salary at LAC college B with mostly humanities. majors. I believe Forbes does not control for majors in their rankings.

By your selective quoting you’re again missing that CS presents data from a specific economic demographic that may be only 20% of a college’s baccalaureates, or probably even less in some instances.

I don’t disagree that it would be good to look at salaries by specificity of major as you mentioned here, but I’m speaking of Forbes one-figure presentation of median salaries for each college, which again, is in what PS particularly specializes and also presents. They are a salary-information gathering entity that people use to secure, let’s say “just” compensation when looking for a job. College Scoreboard is not wired for that.

Let me include an example. Say someone, person x, graduates from college X with a baccalaureate in Computer Science. Say another, y, graduates from college Y with a Biochemistry degree, both graduating in year 0. Person x goes to work in for a tech company and after 10 years she makes $175,000/year. Person y takes a gap year, applies and is accepted into college Z’s medical school. So in year 1, y enters med school and graduates in year 5. Person y then enters an internship/residency and it goes from years 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. During this time he makes $45,000/year.

What happens if y and x are included in CS’s salary data, how would you perceive the disparity in salary at 10 years, $45? v. $175k? Is it that x has clearly done better? What happens if neither is included in CS’s data, which means that only x would be included in PS’s data if she participates in its survey. These are extreme examples, but they do happen. For those colleges that send more students to med school, Forbes presentation wouldn’t reflect the medians correctly.

But I don’t think that CS should be or can be weighted at 10% because that’s not how CS is wired. PS’s goal is more towards what Forbes is presenting, precisely or imprecisely.

And I’m not sure why you quoted that last blurb because it’s pretty obvious that there is nowhere near an accurate predictor of salary medians for each college. And when they start throwing in ROI, then it surpasses the ludicrous.

My kid is just starting in engineering at UCLA and I can only shed very little light onto what people might be alluding to in terms of difficulty registering. It seems that the students that have problems getting classes are trying to double and triple major and have changed majors a bunch of times. The engineering department told the kids during orientation to follow their course recommendations and will have little problem in getting classes. My daughter and her peers had no trouble getting their courses. And yes, the Hill seems like great environment although housing is short staffed this year so it’s been a bumpy start for some students. Thanks for chiming in and for the (lacking sometimes) positivity. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

The statement you quoted said, " 20% salary weighting you mentioned was computed from half (10%) CS salary and half (10%) Payscale salary." It has nothing to do with whether CS computes median for the college as whole or not. That said, both PS and CS present biased sample that are not for the full college, and that sample is far from a random selection of students within the college. In my opinion CS has less of this bias since PS is self-reported among the slim minority of students who choose to post their salary on PS.

There is some irony about writing a multiple page point-by-point reply about what you claim is “insignificant arguments” and then criticizing me for replying to those comments. The comments on the UC board may have been a just couple years ago, but I still don’t remember them. I expect that they have nothing to do with this thread.

I already replied to that point in earlier posts. There is no need to keep repeating your point over and over, including multiple times within this recent post. I’d prefer not to repeat comments again, but I’ll give a brief summary. Salary surveys by major provided by the college tend to match CS well when there is a sufficient sample size, suggesting that salary for students in federal database (not just low income) tends to be similar to overall. And there is some merit for having a control for aid background. That said, yes, it would be more ideal to include all students. None of the available surveys are ideal. You can either choose to use the non-ideal information that is available or ignore it.

Even when I say I agree with your comment, you still manage to criticize the reply.

1 Like

Okay, @Data10, I’m not averse to letting this go. But if you would, please address my example graduates x and y as related both PS and CS. Be well…

I think a lot of those who are double and triple majoring at UCLA are attending summer school. So though some might have doubles, say, in Business Economics and Stats, and maybe even add the Specialization in Computing, they’re graduating timely, or if they stick to one major, they’re graduating in 2 and 2/3s or 3 and 1/3 or 2/3s. Those who are paying full tuition undoubtedly are motivated to get out earlier.

1 Like

From what I’m hearing UCLA is super motivated to get kids out in a timely fashion. Reading these threads makes me wonder what their true motivation is. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

When did Cornell require more than one upper level theory course for a BA/BS in CS?

In your example:

Student x works in tech and has $175k salary after 10 years
Student y attended med school, hasn’t finished residency after 10 years, and has $45k salary

Suppose the sample size was 100 students with a normal distribution centered around $100k. Both student x and student y would have little impact on the overall median since 2 students is small in relation to a sample size of 100. In both CS and PS, the overall median would still remain near $100k.

The issue is how large a portion of the sample are students like “student y” who expect a large jump/decline in salary between 10 years and 15 years out of college, rather than a standard more gradual trajectory. If it was a good portion of the 100 student sample, rather than just a rare anomaly, then it may notably impact median. However, if the portion is small, it will likely have little impact on median. In my opinion, there are bigger issues that have a greater impact on accuracy of the referenced salary surveys than this, several of which have been discussed in earlier posts.

1 Like

Primetime on the east coast again…
More about the UCs!! :flushed: :crazy_face: :rofl:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

2 Likes

Of course with medians they are not going to be as impactful, if the number is relatively smaller. But a college like UCLA has ~ 600 who are accepted into med school/year, and another > 100-150 who go to dental and pharm school. The other UCs don’t even come close to this. There are just some schools that are more preprofessional, and some which prepare students for jobs; they’re more vocationally inclined. That’s why I mentioned Yale, Columbia, Pomona, and some others, which were seemingly lower, which probably means that they have grads that could be looking for jobs that take longer training. Additionally, if these were means – and it wouldn’t be legitimate to present these – then that’s where the real differences would show up between colleges. Those colleges I mentioned are more apt to have a larger percentage of 5 and 10 percenters. A median is undoubtedly a lower standard of measurement.

Their motivation for getting students out is so they can take more in; that’s probably pretty obvious. It’s of course not to get more tuition out of a student, otherwise they would go more towards a tuition/unit. If someone from OOS could get out in one year, I’m sure that UCLA and the UC would be enabling.

If you’re getting the popcorn ready, that means you’re sitting back and enjoying the conversation or enjoying the infighting. Or are you totally disgusted?

Hahaha… I skimmed the last several hours and am amused it has gone on this long. Just hoping to lighten the mood. (and referring back to my post at the same time last night!)

5 Likes

She should apply to the Naval Academy if her grades are still up when it comes time and kill 2 birds with one stone.

EDIT: OOPS! Way behind! :rofl:

1 Like

I was more thinking in the lines of improving their rankings…I guess people look at at 4, 5, and 6 year graduation rates and assume that kids aren’t finishing on time because they can’t get classes when in reality many on them might be seeking more education. My husband took 5 years to graduate a UC because he added a second major (Chemistry onto MechE) which was really helpful for his future career. I also took longer than anticipated to graduate due to a year abroad that messed up my engineering degree sequence (I wouldn’t change that experience for the world). I also had friends that had to work through college and took longer to graduate. I guess the statistics are what they are and hopefully colleges don’t fixate too much on 4 year graduation rates to the detriment of the individual students’ needs.

1 Like

Seems like WSJ/THE US rankings for 2022 just came out. Any reactions?

2 Likes

Duke and Brown higher than Columbia and Penn. Interesting

2 Likes

Wait! is this the same thread I promised @DramaMama2021 to leave alone? Argh! Sorry, not sorry! I kind of hate rankings of all kinds so I get sucked into this thread trying to understand how they can motivate people. I’m off now to have dinner with my dream (No 1 ranked) husband and our No 2 (don’t tell him) ranked kid, and eat some not top 20 (but definitely top 50) food cooked by the No 1 ranked cook in our house (me).

I actually think these rankings make a lot more sense. Brown and Duke are definitely nicer and happier places than Penn and Columbia. I can’t say I clearly disagree with any ranking in the top 100 based on our research. Hats off to WSJ/THE.

4 Likes

It didn’t even remotely cross my mind, but that’s an incredible point. We know, though, that US News just calculates and blankets things to six years for every college, which is of course a really low bar. UCLA got a 83% four-year rate in 2020 for the cohort entering in 2016, here’s the link, you have to put the tab on “Rates” and the campus on “Los Angeles,” and I believe they attach summer sessions following the spring for those who are considered four-year grads, or maybe the just first session, to be able to walk in graduation.

But I wish they would give five-years for those of less advantaged background and give them more professionally related studies. UCLA should create a major that would be well rounded, math, economics, management, and computationally based and give them extra time.

1 Like