2022 USNews Rankings posted

Yes Clemson and U of SC are very popular. Ole miss not as much. I did read the article and Alabama has become much more of a national university.

1 Like

Probably. According to College Board, the OOS publics receiving the most SAT reports from California students were Arizona State, U Washington, Michigan, U Oregon, UT Austin, and Purdue (in decreasing order).

Alabama attracts many more OOS students than a couple of decades ago, but it still draws heavily from the South (~70% of undergrads).

Accurate or not I donā€™t know but from College Factual (canā€™t find on the U of AL website).

labama 2,412 32.16%
Georgia 560 7.47%
Illinois 464 6.19%
Florida 435 5.80%
Texas 428 5.71%
Tennessee 400 5.33%
California 304 4.05%
New Jersey 217 2.89%
Virginia 213 2.84%
North Carolina 197 2.63%
New York 181 2.41%
Pennsylvania 173 2.31%
Ohio 141 1.88%
Maryland 136 1.81%
Kentucky 109 1.45%
Massachusetts 104 1.39%
Michigan 95 1.27%
Mississippi 94 1.25%
Louisiana 92 1.23%
Colorado 83 1.11%

Stats description got cut offā€¦

Huh ??

Shows top states are Ga. Illinois. Fl. Tx Tn. Ca. Nj. Va

We are Tn. my soms roomie was AZ

No heading for columns on my view.

1 Like

No headings for me either.

Oh I did a bad copy paste. # of students by state is what it is at Bama. Per collegefactual (link below) as the source.

Theyā€™re #s are low so Iā€™m hopeful the percentages are accurate. I could not find top states via the university.

I do know from the Chicago Trib they are crushing Illinois. Article below.

Edit. Adding a third link. Shows many come from non Southern/SREB statesā€¦ a southern tilt but national body.

https://oira.ua.edu/factbook/reports/student-enrollment/trend/students-by-level-and-geographic-origin/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html%3FoutputType=amp

2 Likes

Why do you think Indiana and SC donā€™t make the list? Indiana is next door to Illinois but more conservative so possibly has other options and SC may have strong draws to its two flagships.

Have never heard anyone from our NE selective private even consider Alabama.

If i had to guessā€¦Illinois is population and tuition cost. Illinois is more for in-state than Indiana

The thing is Bama isnā€™t just getting studentsā€¦they are getting the better ones due to merit.

SC. population smaller. Hate to say this but likely not as ā€˜educatedā€™ as Illinois.

These are just my guesses.

Bama has been accused of focusing their recruiting on wealthy white kid suburban schoolsā€¦

Lot of Mercedes and BMW on campus. Illinois would conform to that much more than SC.

1 Like

They have more NMF than anywhere. My friends daughter chose UTK over Northwestern. Girl chose Auburn over Yale. Check
out these two articles.

But I bet nearly every flagship in the country has Ivy caliber talent. And I think it happens more than you think. Itā€™s easy to say Iā€™ll spend $80k. But then you are about to pay and $15k or $30k sounds a lot betterx4.

My daughter got into W&L so itā€™s equivalent to your Vassar/Wesleyan. Sheā€™s at college of Charlestonā€¦not in same range. She just likes it more. Dad appreciates the tuition scholarship. But itā€™s not why she chose it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/06/04/the-papa-johns-pizza-admissions-essay-that-yale-loved/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.amp.html

1 Like

In the original source, Indiana and South Carolina appear just after Colorado.

Consider that neither Indiana nor South Carolina contain a metropolitan area comparable with that of Chicago.

1 Like

I just noted your said selective private. I imagine kids from selective private HS mostly end up at selective private universities ? Plus a few top publicsā€¦

2 Likes

Agree with the 2nd point and Illinois has pricier in state tuition than the others.

Alabamaā€™s plunging USNWR ranking probably isnā€™t helping either.

I donā€™t think that impacts anything. They are larger year after year, have more OOS (58%) and the most national merit scholars in the country. Their aid is phenomenal.

I think the CC writers looks at ranking but we are few in the grand scheme of things.

Most people arenā€™t choosing schools by ranking. Or not below the top echelon.

Youā€™re speaking for ā€œmost peopleā€? :smiley: Thatā€™s kinda cool. :sunglasses:

Iā€™ll be the first to admit it here on CC. Rankings played a role in my kidā€™s college decision. :wink:

Hey look I get. Youā€™re pumping ā€œAlabamaā€ up all the time here on CC. We all see our kidā€™s school through rose colored glasses. :+1:

If plunging rankings had nothing to do with it, then why do colleges play the ranking game?

4 Likes

Iā€™m pumping it up for what it is. Cheap. And thatā€™s likely why kids nationwide go there.

If they are growing and pulling nationally, not to mention the most NMFs, they are playing the game the way they want. Different schools have different goals. Oklahoma used to be this school.

My son went there over Purdue. Iā€™d have preferred he went there.

Iā€™d surmise the school is accomplishing what it wants and then some. The fact that their geographic representation is so wide says a lot.

My son was a top 10 student 3.98/4.6 with 34 act)?and his friends were all in the top 25. Smart kids. High end high school in suburban Nashville. Most every kid applies and attends UTK, Alabama, or MTSU. These kids can all go to top 30/50 schools. But theyā€™re not even on their radar. Whether itā€™s cost, distance from home, or football I donā€™t think most look at rankings.

Thatā€™s my opinion. Many here obsess but my personal opinion is 90% donā€™t know or care.

Andā€¦

2 Likes