2023 St Andrews BA International Honours / JDP William & Mary

Hello. My son got an offer to St Andrews BA International Honours Program with William and Mary. He is excited. Does anyone have experience with the program ? How does this compare to doing 4 years at St Andrews?
Thanks !

1 Like

Only have anecdotal experience, but the people that I know who started at StAs and then went to VA really wanted to stay when their 2 years were up. One of the Collegekids looked at it seriously, and ended up accepting a full-time place in the UK.

1 Like

Can you clarify if they wanted to stay in Virginia or in Scotland?

1 Like

Scotland

Any others with offers for the JDP program. My son applied via St Andrews for International Relations so it is first and last year St Andrews.

I’m sorry I do not have any direct experience with the program, but a colleague of mine has a son who graduated from the program a few years ago. I asked him about it because I was interested in it for my daughter who is currently a high school senior. He said his son absolutely loved it, he completed the 2+2 as planned, and now he is working for the US federal government in intelligence.

On a side note, I studied abroad during college years ago at the University of Glasgow. I had the best year of my life, both academically and socially, so I can certainly see why some American students would not want to leave Scotland after the first two years … I desperately did not want to either. Maybe 1+2+1 would be easier (socially/emotionally) for your son than a 2+2.

How competitive are admissions for these programs for IR? We’re OOS for Virginia so it wouldn’t matter much money-wise through which school applied. Are they equally competitive? What sort of stats does one need?

Hi. I don’t know if you are better to apply through St Andrews or W and M. We applied is St Andrews. If via St Andrews I recommend getting app in early like by Oct 1 if possible. We heard back end October and I think places fill up. Best of luck

What’s interesting about applying to St. Andrews is the ability to apply to a number of UK schools at once using UCAS. Similar to the common app in so far as applying to more than one school at a time, but better because you can submit to 5 schools for the price of one and that price isn’t USC-level $80, either. It’s actually a great deal if your DC is open to studying overseas.

1 Like

True re UCAS. We did the direct St Andrews app because we were just applying to the one. I don’t know if doing it direct via ucas affected the timing at all but I can def say sending it in Oct 1 and hearing back end Oct was great as we didn’t have to apply to any safety schools as a result of hearing back so early.

2 Likes