2024-25 CSS Profile Questions

I have received the same emails. I wanted to double check to confirm I submitted everything I needed to (school never asked for 1099s). I think I may have triggered something but maybe I didn’t.

2 Likes

We received an email to Submit documents for IDOC for some colleges but not all. For example Cornell needs IDOC but have not rceieved an email or its not in the list of colleges showing up on IDOC portal when we sign in. Do some colleges only ask IDOC when the admission confirmed or should we expect another email soon?
Thank you

This happens sometimes. Even though they are received they take a bit to “process” and probably more so right now as so many people are sending things. no worries! The emails are just automated.

2 Likes

Also, yes.

2 Likes

If the NPC shows we won’t qualify for need based aid, should we fill out the CSS? We are hoping for merit aid and I read that the CSS is often used for scholarships as well. Or will it not make any difference?

You will need to check your colleges to see whether they require completing the financial aid application forms for merit aid consideration. Some colleges do. Some colleges don’t.

And be aware (and this may be different from one school to the next as well - so always good to ask FAO once you get a determination) is that any grants based on financial information are likely to change year to year based on your re-submission of that years CSS.

You also need to ask IF you need to complete the financial aid application forms annually to continue to receive your merit aid. At both of my kids’ colleges, we had to do the FAFSA and Profile as incoming freshmen for them to receive their merit aid. But we did not have to do them again unless our financial situation changed….or the FAFSA because we wanted the kids to take the Direct Loan.

1 Like

There are two questions “Dependent Education Expenses Prior Year for [sibling]” and “Dependent Education Expenses Current Year for [sibling]” - what is the “Prior Year” and “Current Year”?

1 Like

I interpreted it as - if I’m applying for aid for the 24-25 school year then “prior year” is 23-24.

2 Likes

I’m having a hard time figuring out how I differentiate “income from work” and “untaxed income and benefits”? Let’s say my total income is $100,000 but then I make an optional 401 contribution of $1000/year and contribute $1,000/year to a pre-tax medical flexible benefits account.

Do I report my “income from work” as $100,000 and report “untaxed income and benefits” as $2,000 OR do I deduct the “untaxed income and benefits” from total income- this would result in my “income from work” to be $98,000 and my “untaxed income and benefits” as $2,000?

And do I include my mandatory employee-paid health insurance premium costs (these are $4,300/year as “untaxed income and benefits” or not?

@kelsmom

You usually do not include required insurance costs as income.

@BelknapPoint

Income from work is your taxable income as reported on your W-2. You’ll need to review the instructions to see if the flexible spending amount is reported anywhere. I know that 401k contributions are no longer reported on FAFSA effective 2024-25, but you’ll need to review Profile instructions to see if they have to be reported on Profile. This tutorial may be helpful for you: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7M5mCZWX0zc.