4 Units of Social Sciences - Which Classes Count?

<p>I notice that Alabama has a requirement for 4 units of social science classes, which is 1 unit more than the requirement for my states academic honors diploma. Currently, I know I have 3 and 1\2 units of social sciences, and am wondering which other classes could fulfill this requirement? </p>

<p>I have or will be taking:
-Geography and History of the World - 1 unit
-United States History (dual credit through IU) - 1 unit
-Government - 1\2 unit
-Economics - 1\2 unit
-Sociology - 1\2 unit</p>

<p>Now would any of these classes count as a social science?
-health
-advanced health-substance abuse
-anatomy and physiology
-nutrition and wellness(cooking class)
-computer applications 1 and 2
-music history and appreciation </p>

<p>Any input would be appreciated. Alabama seems like a nice university and I would hate to not be able to consider it.</p>

<p>I don’t think any of the classes in your second list would count as social sciences, but I also cannot imagine that Alabama would turn down an otherwise good candidate for lack of half a unit of social science, especially an OOS candidate whose state doesn’t require that many social studies courses. I know at my D’s Illinois high school only 2 units of social studies are required and most students don’t take more than 3. I would call the Admissions Office and ask them about it - I think that will put your mind at ease.</p>

<p>Bama is pretty lenient about THAT particular req’t because many states don’t require 4 years.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry about it.</p>

<p>Alright thanks for the replies both of you, I’ll double check with them on monday. I was surprised to see that some colleges wanted 4 years of social sciences because my state, Indiana, only requires 3 years for the academic honors diploma.</p>

<p>10Upper- did you find out anything about this from the school? Just noticed D2 is in the same boat (only 3 Soc Studies credits -not 3.5) but otherwise OK on other requirements… she has 5 yrs math, 4 yrs science, 5 yrs Foreign Language). Thanks</p>

<p>My D who is an incoming out of state freshman this year was accepted (and offered a scholarship) with only 3 SS credits, which is what our state requires also. Nothing was ever said about it. Perhaps if you are borderline for acceptance it could be an issue, but I don’t believe it is. We didn’t even realize it could be a problem, and nothing was ever said.</p>

<p>Good luck!!</p>

<p>Thanks, nicollec. One less thing to think about. :)</p>

<p>Well, as a home-schooling mom, I don’t know how much “lab” we did with our “lab sciences.” Yet DS was still admitted, thank God. </p>

<p>But that’s a whole 'nuther question… (How many homeschoolers have access to bunsen burners and formaldehyde-preserved frogs?)</p>