4 year or Community College

Hello all

To get straight to the point, My GPA is not the best, sitting around a 3.0 (Or an 83). I have been doing research on colleges, however whenever I find one that piques my interest, I come to find out that the admission requirements are super high, on average a 3.7+.

This has made me extremely hopeless. No matter where I look, nearly every college requires an extremely high GPA, colleges that don’t are either across the country (I live in NY), don’t have the resources/ features I’m looking for, or extremely expensive. I’ve also come to find out that a high SAT score and other parts of my application won’t help me that much, not unless I’m an athlete.

During further research, I’ve learned the benefits of Community College, how by getting a high GPA for 1 - 2 years could open the doors to more selective and better universities. I’ve been avoiding this, however, since I feel it could make it harder to do other things, like study abroad or internships.

This is where my question comes in

For someone like me, should I go to a 2 year school, do well there for 1-2 years, then transfer to a better 4 year, or try to improve my current application and apply to a 4 year?

If you need it, I will place my stats down here:

GPA: 3.0
Class Rank: 3/18 (Really small school)
SAT: 1400
Extracurriculars: Mainly consist of Public Speaking and Programming.

As always, thank you for your help, and I will be happy to answer any further questions.

@Kenny2 are you a junior or Senior? I’d think a 1400 would open some doors, for sure (might even get you automatic acceptance at some schools).

1 Like

What do you want to study? I would think the NY public university system would have options for you. Is there some place in particular where you hope to study abroad? What are the resources/features you’re looking for? And what’s your budget?

Tons of great schools for you. What are the type of schools that interest you. Tell us and we can find their cousins that will work for u

1 Like

@52AG82 Senior

@aquapt Computer Science, I should have mentioned it earlier

@tsbna44 Schools like UIUC and U of Maryland interested me the most

1 Like

Yours is an interesting case.

That you are ranked 3/18 makes me wonder what kind of school you go to. Is there grade deflation at your school? Is it extremely rigorous? Have you taken any AP classes? What will your teachers say about you in their recs? Will they say “one of the top students I’ve ever had” or “could have tried harder”? Let us know about this, as it’s possible you might be in a better position than you think, if you have stellar recs. Was there any circumstance that caused you to have low grades? Something big: serious family issue, illness, etc…

Did you start high school with poor grades and then bring up your GPA a lot since then? Are you an underrepresented minority, low socioeconomic status, or first generation to college?

All that said, I think your GPA is too low for those colleges.

Your choice of major makes it tough. It’s a very competitive major. I think attending CC for a couple of years and getting your grades higher is a great idea. I attended CC and transferred back in the day. It was the best route for me. If you do well at CC, you will be in a far stronger position to transfer into a decent college.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to aim lower if you decide you want to go right to a 4 year. I’m no expert on colleges that offer comp sci. I’m not sure it’s worth paying out of state tuition, in your situation.

1 Like

What is your budget? It makes a difference.

The SUNY’s are good schools. Is there a reason you aren’t considering them? They usually require a minimum of a 2.0.
SUNY Buffalo has strong CS and engineering departments.

3 Likes

Seconding Lindagaf’s questions. More than 80% of the students at your school have sub-3.0 GPA’s? Is it incredibly grade-deflated, or are few of these students college-bound? Are your grades trending upward? How advanced is your coursework?

You’re getting a bit of a late start on the application process, plus you note that studying abroad is important to you. Have you considered doing a gap year abroad as a high school “super-senior” in an overseas high school? This would not only give you the international experience you want, but would also give you more time to prepare for college apps, take more advanced courses, and potentially raise your GPA if your senior year grades will be good. Look into the options with AFS - it could be a win-win for you.

In the hypothetical case where you could get into UIUC or UMD, would the out-of-state cost of these schools be within your budget? What about full-paying for a private school - is that a possibility for you, or no?

You have a lot of options, just not a lot of time.

In the NY public system, there should be both four-year and two-year schools (some of the latter still have dorms) that would work. Oswego is particularly co-op oriented, which might appeal to you. Not sure if you could get into CS at Buffalo, but it’s worth a try - very good STEM school.

For about the same cost, you could consider the University of Maine; a 3.0 GPA qualifies you for their Flagship Match program, which would discount the tuition to cost the same as a SUNY.

There are some good OOS publics that you could probably get into - you just wouldn’t get merit, so you’d need to weigh whether full-paying for these schools would be worthwhile. I’m thinking of schools like Virginia Commonwealth, College of Charleston, Miami of Ohio, WVU. There are good options in the west and southwest too, as you note, but it sounds like you’d rather not go that far.

There are liberal arts colleges with CS majors that you’d have a shot at, as well… but again, you’re not likely to get a lot of merit so the question is budget.

You could try for URI’s International Computer Science program: https://www.uri.edu/programs/program/international-computer-science-program/ I’m not sure how much more competitive this is than the university generally, and whether you’d have a shot at it, but it definitely checks the study abroad box!

If full-pay private is possible, you might be able to get into BU’s College of General Studies (which can funnel into any major you choose after the first two years). This would be a spring start, with the first semester in London, followed by summer classes to cover the rest of freshman year.

There are lots of OOS publics with strong CS, that have less-competitive branch campuses. This would function similarly to going to community college, except that these schools have four year programs, so you wouldn’t have to transfer to the main campus, but you’d have that opportunity if you did well. Systems to consider include Purdue, Pitt, Penn State, and UMass, among others. But your options within the SUNY system may be just as good for a lot less money.

There are also some interesting feeder programs in Virginia - Richard Bland College is a residential 2-year that gives guaranteed admission to William & Mary if you meet the criteria. There’s also UVA Wise.

Lots of options. But given the timeline and your desire to study abroad, I still think an AFS year could position you the best, especially if your grades are trending upward.

1 Like

I agree with @Lindagaf in that if you are 3/18 does your GPA reflect that you go to an elite type school or school with serious grade deflation that might show up on your counselor report to give you a boost.

That said based on the #s these two schools won’t work. But there’s many great that will.

Alabama is bringing a ton of kids from the the Northeast. Auburn. Ms State. Ole Miss. Arkansas another great program. Mizzou too. Arizona is a wonderful flagship. Wyoming and it’s affordable. Many on the CC recommend Iowa State as a UIUC substitute. maybe Kentucky or UTK. Western Michigan. UAH for a smaller school. Closer to home Hofstra for private. URI, Maine for public. SUNY schools that are less competitive.

That’s just a small sampling of large flagships that could work.

CS can be rigorous. Often community colleges aren’t plus you’d lose the four year experience. But you’d save a lot of $$. That’s the plus and perhaps you’d be set up for transfer. But if you want the four year upfront experience there’s no shortage of schools for you.

Keep your head up !!
The bigger question would be are you ready ?

There have been a lot of good suggestions on here. Go to some of these colleges and run their Net Price Calculator (NPC) to see if they are affordable. If yes and you like what you see, get your applications in now.

You’ll find out if you’re accepted or not with your more unusual class size. If not, going to a 2 year school can be your back up.

Have you considered Iowa State? You can figure out whether or not you would be admitted using their online admission index calculator.

Their scholarship aid is also predictable. Freshman Awards - New York - Office of Admissions

Ohio State has a CSE degree in their college of engineering, but also offers degrees for CIS in their college of arts and sciences. The major classes are all taught by the same department and uses the same career office. Since the university does not admit by major you would just need to be admitted to the university and could apply to their college of engineering later if you decide you want to pursue CSE and aren’t directly admitted to that college. The scholarships are not automatic, which might work in your favor since you have a very good SAT score. If the National Buckeye scholarship would put you within budget, it would be worth applying. Merit-based scholarships - The Ohio State University

1 Like

University of Dayton is a private research university that offers very good financial aid.

Just FYI, UMD’s regular decision round is not friendly to even many very high stats kids. EA is the way to apply to UMD. You’re past the EA round and that would have been a huge stretch anyway.

1 Like

What budget are you working with?

There are definitely 4 year schools that will work with your GPA, but Community College can be a good option too.

We have a thread going for parents of B students here that you are welcome to post on. Lots of info there.

Sounds as if there is a very interesting story behind the high school you’re attending. Third in your class of 18 isn’t that bad - and your SAT is pretty good. Why aren’t you looking at SUNYs?

You probably should go straight to a 4 year SUNY, and if you do extremely well, and want to, you can transfer. Don’t start at a community college - the academic level will likely be too low for you.

Perspective is really hard to get, especially when you are in a small pond. Right now you see your choices as either the very top end or the very low end- and there are places in the middle! UIUC and UMd-CP are top tier programs for admissions and expensive for out of state students.

So:

#1: what is your budget?
#2: how does #3 in the class work out to a 3.0 GPA?
#3: how do you spend most of your non-school time? “ECs” covers a lot of territory, and you might have more there than you think

1 Like

This school sounds so much like our local school (small - last years class was 17, this years is even smaller, and also in NY). My daughter was valedictorian with a weighted average 100.27 (she is going to Denison). Salutatorian had a weighted average of 93.32 and is at SUNY Fredonia (honors), third was 93.14 (attending a CC), fourth 91.18 (workforce), fifth was 89.97 (SUNY Alfred State). Of the college bound kids out of the top five, 6 are at CC, 1 at Fredonia, 1 at Alfred State, and one at Daemen. My older daughter graduated from the same school in 2017 and the stats were slightly higher but the results were similar (she had 22 in her class).

Our school typically sends about 1/4 of the class to CC, 1/4 to a regional 4 year, 1/4 to the workforce, 1/8 to the military and 1/8 out of state.

All this to say, there is a 4 year college out there for you if you choose that path. And if you go down the CC road that is a solid choice as well and certainly wouldn’t preclude you for internships and study abroad opportunities!

Good luck!

4 Likes

@Kenny2 I highly suggest you read this thread below. Sounds like you are a bright kid that needs a second chance. Here is your opportunity to guarantee your way into the #4 Ranked Public University in the Nation (and Top 25 overall) - the University of Virginia.

Read the entire thread (link below) to gather answers to your questions and links to the jc.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/for-reasonably-bright-hs-students-that-would-like-a-second-chance/3536061

Apply to TC3 (a SUNY CC with dorms) but apply to 4-year SUNYs. Check into whether you qualify for HEOP.
Oftentimes students at CC’s hit snags that make the transfer process less than ideal; in fact fewer than a quarter of those who intended to transfer actually do – in other words, 3/4 don’t …
So it’s safer to go straight to 4-year sunys since your class rank is solid and your GPA qualifies you.
Look into SUNY o
Oswego, Suny Plattsburgh, even SUNY new Paltz.
What about Excelsior?
You’ll have to avail yourself of all the services your tuition pays for: tutoring, writing center, office hours… in college, that’s how smart students get from B to A (it’s not, as some think, stigmatizing. Someone found that the students who use tutors the most are those with a B+ or an A- who want an A :slight_smile: )
In addition, run the NPC on supportive colleges such as Susquehanna, Juniata, Goucher, or Hobart&William Smith. They’d be reaches but they dedicate resources to support students and have a pretty good record with B students.