6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history

<p>I was just reading some of the core requirements for my Business major. It says: “Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history.”</p>

<p>What is considered a “6-semester hour sequence”? Can you give me an example of two literature or history courses that are considered a “6-semester-hour sequence”?</p>

<p>Certainly, I know how to accumulate 6 hours in literature or history, but the notion of a “6-semester-hour sequence” is foreign to me. </p>

<p>Thank you for any guidance you can provide.</p>

<p>That could be 2 classes that “sequence”…such as </p>

<p>HY 101 Western Civilization to 1648. 3 hours.</p>

<p>A history of Western civilization from its origins in Greece and Rome through the Middle Ages, the Renaissance and Reformation, and the age of discovery and expansion during the emergence of modern Europe. Usually offered in the summer session.</p>

<p>HY 102 Western Civilization since 1648. 3 hours.</p>

<p>Covers the development of the Western world from the Thirty Years’ War to the post–World War II era: the age of absolutism, the Enlightenment, the French Revolution, industrialization, and the wars of the 20th century. Usually offered in the summer session.</p>

<p>Also, if you took AP US History or Euro, and got the credits, you got your sequence done since each counts as 2 sequenced classes…</p>

<p>Here are your options. Each set would be a 6 hour sequence.</p>

<pre><code>HY 101 Western Civilization to 1648 HI
HY 102 Western Civilization since 1648 HI

HY 105 Honors Western Civilization to 1648 HI
HY 106 Honors Western Civilization since 1648 HI

HY 203 American Civilization to 1865 HI
HY 204 American Civilization since 1865 HI

HY 205 Honors American Civilization to 1865 HI
HY 206 Honors American Civilization since 1865 HI

EN 205 English Literature I HU or L
EN 206 English Literature II HU or L

EN 207 World Literature I HU or L
EN 208 World Literature II HU or L

EN 209 American Literature I HU or L
EN 210 American Literature II HU or L

EN 215 Honors English Literature I HU or L
EN 216 Honors English Literature II HU or L

EN 219 Honors American Literature I HU or L
EN 220 Honors American Literature II HU or L
</code></pre>

<p>One suggestion: If you do not want to burn up Alabama scholarship hours, and you do not have the history from AP/IB/dual enrollment, you may want to take the classes during the summer at a local community college. My son did this for art history and literature. They were online classes, too. The only time he went to the campus was for exams. This allowed him to clear some spaces in his schedule for other classes in his majors.</p>

<p>Does taking classes at the local college effect your eligibility for freshman scholarships? In other words, if you take classes at the local JC in the summer between high school graduation and starting fall classes at UA, are you viewed as a incoming freshman who is eligible for the scholarships or as a transfer student?</p>

<p>I would write to Scholarships and get an answer in writing…and SAVE the answer.</p>

<p><a href=“mailto:scholarships@ua.edu”>scholarships@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>From what I’ve been told, taking classes at another college or university during the summer after your hs graduation and before you enter UA in the fall is oka; you will still be considered a freshman for admissions and scholarship purposes. Still, I would get this policy in writing as m2ck has also recommended.</p>

<p>Very good point. Thanks!</p>

<p>I don’t know the answer to the scholarship question but I might add that this summer break between HS and first semester college should be just that -a break.
If your son/daughter is doing OA/AA there will be some reading assignments. They will be packing for college. They will probably be working a summer job. It is a time to say goodbye to your friends and make new friends via facebook etc. It is just a short time, so I suggest no additional classes this summer. As soon as they start college they will have so much to do, I think that a summer break is in order.
If you have a NE kid for instance, HS doesn’t end till the end of June anyway, there really isn’t all that much time for summer activities.
It is also a great opportunity to spend some extra time with your son/daughter. Believe me, you will miss them the second you walk away at college.</p>

<p>I would echo what robotbldmom says…summer break is just that…a well deserved and needed break! If your DS wants to “Study” encourage him to read and learn about things that interest him, maybe revisit that AP History reading list and pick up something that peaks his interest…there’s always the AP English list as well :). I would also tell you to spend some “special time” together. You WILL miss him! We have totally embraced the “empty nest” here but gotta tell you there are days when the silence is deafening and I miss all those kids bursting at the seams. Remember also we are all here for you after you drop him off… :).</p>

<p>I also think that summer between high school and college should be spent working to help pay for those “unexpected costs” that come with outfitting a dorm and other college costs. Also, it’s a time to sock away some money for “pocket money” during the school year.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all! Yes, I agree – he needs that mental break. And yes, I am going to miss him sooooo much. He is really talkative, and his younger bro is just the opposite. It will be as silent as the tomb once older S is gone, LOL.</p>

<p>Ooohhhh, Mom2ck is right! Those extras sure add up fast. We came down to college with everything…and I still made trips to Walmart, Sam’s Club and Publix…It is expensive!</p>

<p>Do the sequence classes need to be one semester after another, or say one summer and then the following fall semester? Or would it be fine to have a semester in between?</p>

<p>You can take the sequence courses whenever…skip a semester…start in spring…whatever. And, you don’t have to take them in order. You can take the second sequence class first, and then the other later…as long as the second class isn’t a pre-req for the first…</p>

<p>And, remember, that anyone with AP history credit…like AP Euro or AP history will have the sequence complete.</p>

<p>Thank you!!
Trying to fit in pre-med requirements with the ChemE flowchart, and it is hard! Since your son is ChemE, do you know if they’re flexible with the flowchart? I’m sure he came in with a ton of AP credit though, so probably not an issue for him.</p>

<p>Just looking at this sequence requirement for Comp. Sci…my son should get AP credit for World History. Looks like that covers HY101 and HY102. I notice that he still needs 6 credits in Literature…but these do not need to be a series…correct? </p>

<p>I am a little confused as to the notations that are used. They use “L”, “HU”, and “FA” throughout the curriculum plan, but I don’t see any listings in the undergraduate catalog under those headings. I am guessing that “Literature” will fall under the “EN” section and “FA” is fine arts which could be anything from art to music?</p>

<p>Looks like DS will need 6 cr ‘literature’, 3 cr ‘fine arts’, 12 ‘natural science’ and 15 cr ‘free elective’. Hoping he can get some CLEP credit to go toward the ‘free elective’ credits plus he should get 8 credits for AP Physics. Can’t see how to cover the 6 literature credits with AP or CLEP though.</p>

<p>my son should get AP credit for World History. Looks like that covers HY101 and HY102. I notice that he still needs 6 credits in Literature…but these do not need to be a series…correct?</p>

<p>Students need a 6 hr sequence/depth in history OR literature…not both.</p>

<p>*I am a little confused as to the notations that are used. They use “L”, “HU”, and “FA” throughout the curriculum plan, but I don’t see any listings in the undergraduate catalog under those headings. I am guessing that “Literature” will fall under the “EN” section and “FA” is fine arts which could be anything from art to music?</p>

<p>*
look here</p>

<p>[Core</a> Curriculum – General Studies Course Listing | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-1]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-1)</p>

<p>click on the tabs to find which classes are L, H, FA, etc.</p>

<p>*Nine semester hours of humanities, literature, and fine arts (HU, L, & FA) area courses, six semester hours are required in a discipline (EH, PHL, for example). A six-hour depth (or sequence) study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB. There are no mandatory general education requirements for literature or fine arts except as required for a specific engineering program. </p>

<p>Nine semester hours of courses in the areas of history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) , to include six semester hours in a discipline (HY, EC, for example). A six-hour depth study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB. History may be included in depth courses.
*</p>

<p>Also, note that those in the Col of Eng’g aren’t required to take ANY fine arts or lit classes - unless their discipline requires…</p>

<p>Mom- Where can I find the info about the fine arts for engineering? My son, whose major is aerospace eng. hasn’t mentioned this and he is signed up for a class next semester. Granted it is online, but if he doesn’t have to take it that would be great.</p>

<p>He tried to get the band signed off for fine arts but no go. He is still mad about that.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>It’s in the post above yours…</p>

<p>There are no mandatory general education requirements for literature or fine arts except as required for a specific engineering program.
[Core</a> Curriculum – College of Engineering | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/engineering/]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/engineering/)</p>

<p>I think Bama might consider Band a performing art, but that’s not a Core.</p>

<p>Anyway…your son may not HAVE to take a Fine Arts, but if he’s using it to fulfill - Nine semester hours of humanities, literature, and fine arts (HU, L, & FA) area courses,…then that may be why he’s taking it. </p>

<p>However, if he already has his 9 credits in humanities or literature, then he doesn’t need the FA…UNLESS that is a req’d course or an option course for his major. Some engineering majors have a X or Y choice for a req’t…and the Y choice is a Fine Arts class.</p>