64 need to look into Medicare

@dietz199 although it’s only for 2018 check out link for stand alone medicare drug plans in your state

https://q1medicare.com/PartD-SearchPDPMedicare-2018PlanFinder.php?state=CA&sort=stateEnrolldesc&addinfo=StateEnroll&utm_source=partd&utm_medium=statepage&utm_campaign=0popularity

Wellspring: I’ve read elsewhere that some carriers are allowing a switch from F to G with no medical underwriting. So you might give yours a call.

That’s a commercial site, playing on the medicare name. IMO, better to start with the real medicare.gov site.

https://www.medicare.gov/part-d/index.html

@bluebayou your probably right about using real medicare site, but when I used both websites I found same stand alone part d plans for my area listed

on second thought, the medicare.gov site is awful for Part D. It will not allow you to review Part D as a standalone benie. Moreover, the Part D is designed for folks who are currently taking meds, with zero thought about those who haven’t had an Rx in years. It won’t even allow one to easily compare Plans on the basics, such as price (deductible/copayment) by drug tier.

@bluebayou I have an aetna part D plan. I pay $31.60 month. On official medicare site, the only pharmacy listed I would use near my home is considered a standard cost sharing pharmacy , meaning I would pay $6 and $7 for tier 1 /2 drugs at a standard cost sharing pharmacy. On the commercial website I listed, you can find not only standard cost sharing pharmacies with a plan, but also preferred cost sharing pharmacies with a plan. I use a preferred cost sharing pharmacy and my costs are $1 or $2 copays for tier 1 or tier 2 respectively, and deductible does not apply to tier 1 or 2 drugs. I do not pay any extra monthly premium for using a preferred cost sharing pharmacy.

When I posted above I was looking at old book I have, I was quoting 2017 copays at standard pharmacies for tier 1 /2 (ie $6/$7 for tier 1/ 2). I just realized that aetna for 2018 has been charging (aka gouging) people $6/$13 for tier 1 /2 at standard pharmacies while still charging $1 /2 for tiers 1/ 2 at preferred pharmacies.

I have SilverScripts and they have never called me. Strange.m

Why one is considered a standard v preferred pharmacy, I don’t know. But the standard pharmacy is a CVS where the preferred pharmacy is in a Vons supermarket. I guess one is more likely to pick up some things while at a Vons v CVS, so preferred pharmacy pricing may act like a loss leader for Vons

that’s good info, jug, I’ll have to add provider networks to my search. thanks.

I have express scripts…what “part” is that??

it kinds depends thumper. Do you have Original Medicare, or Medicare Advantage (part c)? If the former, then Express Scripts is Part D, if the latter, then your drug plan may be rolled into Medicare Advantage.

I have an Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield Medicare Advantage PPO, but it does NOT include my RX coverage. RX is through express scripts.

This is a group plan through CT Teachers Retirement Board.

The Medicare Advantage Plan is new as of July 1. But Express Scripts was what we had prior…and that has not changed (and it hasn’t…I’ve gotten RX filled using it).

@Jugulator20 - thanks for the link --I did find it very useful.

I think the math becomes a lot more difficult with the D plans because some people need to take a lot of pricey meds and some people don’t. It’s been almost 2 years since I had a prescription for anything filled – so for me, lowest premium makes sense. (Assuming that I can change plans later on during open enrollment if things change).So I think I’ll go with a $20/month plan.

But I can easily see where things shift rapidly for anyone who has a list of prescription meds they are regularly taking. I had assumed, erroneously, that the drug formularies and tier categories would be very similar among the plans …but that also turns out to be mistaken as well… so you really do need to make a list of meds you are concerned about, if any, and include that in your research.

@bluebayou and @calmom thank you.

I thought you could always switch from a higher plan to a “lower” plan without having to pass any physical questions. (from a “F” to a “G” would be a step down). Is that not true?

The thing is that formularies can (and I’ve been told DO) change during the year, so even if your Rx were covered by the formulary when you signed up, the Rx can be discontinued or dropped from the formulary with little of no notice. This has happened to some patients. Needless to say, it’s VERY upsetting and creates hardships for patients, especially those on several expensive medications.

So far, H and I have been fortunate that our private insurance has decent formularies and we have been able to get our medications at reasonable prices. Our meds have stayed on formulary, so far.

Given all the discussions on Plan F and Plan G, I would assume that Plan F will be the most expensive plan. However, checking Blue Cross Blue Shield and United Health, they both have Plan C more expensive than Plan F, but I can’t find anything difference between Plan C and F except that Plan F covers Plan B excessive charge, therefore Plan F provides more coverage but charges less, have I missed anything?

Plan F can also offer a High Deductible option in some states so if you are comparing plans, see if the Plan F in your state is a High Deductible. With a High Deductible you would have more liability for first dollar charges so that is most likely why the Plan C is the higher premium than Plan F.

^^it wasn’t for the High Deductible option. I only checked BC/BS and UH for my area and was surprised.