64 need to look into Medicare

We had to walk in to SS to figure out why H didn’t get his Medicare card. The guy hadn’t processed and said there was some issue with withdrawing it from his pension, tho what he said contradicted all th research I had done. H had to walk in the SAME paperwork the next day and the helpful clerk processed it on the spot and it worked out.

Sorry, very rushed response! Husband received a letter before his first ss check. The letter explained the first check would not included the deduction for the month of Medicare he already paid . Going forward the checks would be less because of the deduction. This all happened automatically, we did not need to request.

Just looked at mail received for H and I. His says first bill and mine states “THIS IS NOT A BILL” in the right upper corner box, due date never paid attention to also Dec 25. We will owe different amounts because he has several months of no part D. He noted part B went up- gotta thank those good investments that were good in 2017 I guess. I think mine did not include everything but was notice of things to come. Not worth worrying about. Feel lucky we are in the pay more category- don’t mind helping others out and having the security of our higher income. Those decades of hard work and underspending paid off.

Awhile back payments were sent after next billing notice or some such (for whatever reason) and that caused an apparent double billing- got it figured out. Have found Medicare to be good about correcting things like that. Unlike the IRS one year (the interest paid when not actually due for one of those changes in past years IRS allowed things was not refunded in full by small change- I never got the logic of why the refunding process should not match the original, later found to be in error, paying process).

Among those waiting to take social security. H just asked and told him- no to automatic payments and yes to online bill paying now is how we do it. He was writing and mailing checks for some time. Easier this way.

I got my part A card last week. I applied some time in October.

Oops- got H’s and mine mixed up- his not a bill is because he signed up for autopay- I should too. Plus his same part D company is same as mine but with different starts to last names I suspect mine will come while just paid his. Oh, the wonderful world of still being married but treated individually.

I’m curious…supplemental plans of a certain category include some travel coverage. The coverage is capped at 50K - for the lifetime of the policy. If one were to use up the allotment could one just switch to a different carrier (AARP United Health Care to BS or Aetna ) within the same category (thus getting guaranteed issue) and simply restart the counter?

@calmom Sadly you are not alone in receiving the bill so late.
https://www.aarp.org/health/health-insurance/info-2018/medicare-premium-bills.html?intcmp=HEALTH

Thanks for the link. I just set things up with my bank to mail a check automatically. It will be a late delivery, but should arrive well ahead of the 2nd notice. I am frustrated because they don’t have a website where the payments can be set up and status viewed. That is, I don’t see why that function isn’t integrated with medicare.gov along with an option for e-billing. Their autopay system would be fine, but that also needs to be set up by paper mail. So no easy way that I can see to confirm that it has been set up. But maybe I’ll do that in the future.

Our deadline is approaching, so resurrecting this thread. Any new advice from those in the Medicare ranks? I apologize in advance for the length. I’ve researched and re-read this entire thread, and still have questions!

We’ve decided on Medigap G due to living part time in another state & narrowed it down to (2) options well regarded here. Since all “G” plans are the same, it comes down to 1) price; 2) price history; 3) perks (such as Silver Sneakers) & 4) Customer Service. But these are hard to evaluate until you’ve been in a plan for awhile! And the perks can be dropped at any time (as UHC did).

• Anyone have either UHC/AARP (United) or BCBS (Blue Cross) and are happy (or not)?

• Nearly all plans in our state are Age-Attained. UHC is the only Community priced policy with an incentive discount program. Comparing these policy prices today (they’ll all change), BCBS is cheaper for about 12 years, equal at age 78; at age 82 the BCBS savings drop out, and United becomes cheaper. If I factor in the gym membership fee if using United, it is slightly longer (about age 85) until United becomes cheaper. But who know what pricing or health care will be in 20 years!

• Unfortunately, our state(s) have no protection allowing a yearly re-evaluation. Due to health underwriting & potential increased pricing due to health, what we choose now, we may likely be stuck with for life. Past history (like the market) is not necessarily indicative of future history. We’ve found that out the hard way with our LTC policy. United shared their 5 year history. It was a slow increase until last year. BCBS can never seem to find that information when I ask! Any experiences to share?

• Even moving does not protect you with Medigap plans. Since they service the entire US, you are not necessarily able to purchase another state’s plan without underwriting (depends on the state laws). I’ve asked each company we’ve researched, what determines their pricing if you move out-of-state, and cannot get a consistent answer. Very frustrating.

• I’m still confused about primary Medicare coverage. I understand Medicare decides if they will cover a treatment or MD visit, and Medigap fills in the gap(s), but how free is the patient to determine their own health care? Some examples: If you want a second (or third) opinion, will Medicare simply say they won’t pay for that? Since you are not obliged to first see your PCP, if you want PT or medical massage treatment for a past injury or new joint pain, can Medicare say not covered? Must you check every visit with Medicare BEFORE any appointments are even made?

I don’t trust insurance companies. If they have the chance, they’ll typically find some reason to either deny you coverage, or charge you more, so it is important to choose wisely while we have guaranteed acceptance. Thanks all!

^^ See a broker. Their services are free, they’ll assess all options given your specific situation, they’ll steer you away from landmines, they’ll answer your questions, they’ll do the paperwork.

There’s absolutely no point and no need to try to figure this out yourself. As our broker said, “There are a lot of moving parts to Medicare.” With all health insurance, you don’t know what you don’t know, and mistakes can cost you dearly.

Once in Medicare you need to know who accepts it for payment. The costs will be governed by Medicare- any provider who has signed a contract with Medicare is bound by this so your costs will be the same for the same services no matter which Medicare provider you use. I think most health care providers do accept Medicare, easy to find out from them. There will be providers (at all service levels/types) who choose to not be part of it. Just like private insurance companies who have providers they have negotiated contracts with.

Before you sign up with any specific supplemental insurance company be sure providers you are likely to want to use are covered. As physicians we know our predicted health needs and our finances therefore made choices based on probable costs for the year and wanting to keep our physicians. I know people who are perfectly happy with the providers they get through a plan I would not use.

Different states have different options- the Blues vary by state. Medicare send out booklets (or just online if you prefer) with available supplemental plans for the state, and part of the state you live in. Use the Medicare.gov site. It can seem tedious and until you are on Medicare you can’t be as specific (I tried).

Medicare also has info on what is/isn’t covered. You look at insurance company details to see what they add and for what price. Medicare does not cover everything but is very straightforward and supplemental policies follow rules as well. I find it a relief to not need to research the basics. If I were to buy supplemental (did part D for drugs however) I would find it easy to do comparisons via the Medicare website. It takes time.

Your physician choice through Medicare is anyone who accepts it. Supplemental choice depends on the private insurance company. You may want to keep your current physician but then need to figure out plans/he is signed up for. Or you can choose a plan with physicians you find acceptable.

Consider this your homework for the next few weeks. There is a learning curve. No matter what we say here you still need to spend your time comparing plans available for you in your specific state and region within it. I had done my homework then called a couple of local insurance agencies and found what I had done was what they would have done. It was just as easy for me to continue the sign up process without them even though there would not have been any extra costs.

Above was a long post. Once you are enrolled it becomes so much easier. btw- everyone gets part A. Part B and D (supplemental insurance usually covers D instead) costs from Medicare depend on your income- the standard fee plus tiers of extra costs based on income from tax info. Since it is the government they know what your income was and they adjust every year based on the last tax data (ie 2017 for this year). With retirement comes variable income based on how investments do, but if you need to pay in a higher tier that means you are doing well financially. Autopay is a good way to go for paying Medicare. Monthly statements plus quarterly (if any services billed to Medicare) ones help you keep track so places can’t overcharge you. Appeals process for noncovered bills and places will refund overcharges. It all takes months to go through the system.

I found it difficult to get through to Medicare during the sign up process- long phone waits… But very good and helpful with questions once on it.

I just made my decision and start coverage May 1st. I read through this thread twice, asked all my friends who are currently on Medicare, did multiple Google searches, spent endless hours on Medicare.gov, and had a two hour appointment with our local Office of Aging.

If I were going with a lettered plan, I would go with Plan G. Office of Aging seemed to advocate for AARP when they told us their premiums are community based, so they don’t increase as much. Be sure you also get a prescription plan.

BCBS gets the highest rating in my county. My husband has been on their Advantage plan for 6 years and has been very happy with their customer service. That was the best recommendation for me.

I agree…see a broker…they don’t charge.

I have BC/BS…my opinion is that UHC is the bottom feeder in terms of health insurance…but that’s because one of my kids had issues with them…not Medicare related. Calls to them about coverage were usually met with “NO”…as where other companies said “let me get more info about that claim”.

BUT YMMV depending on where you are, I guess…and I do know people who like UHC.

W will be Medicare eligible later this year. Several of W’s family members have been with Kaiser (SoCal) for decades and absolutely love it. We went to Kaiser seminar. Coverage offered through Kaiser seemed to meet her current needs.

I have had Medicare/supplement/drug coverage for many years. I travel over 200 miles (round trip) 2x a year to see my cardiologist. Sadly he’s retiring. We’re debating what to do—have W get same coverage I have, or both switch to Kaiser (or some other Advantage program (eg BC, blue Shield).

Besides cost differences, any thoughts on Kaiser? I apologize if this has been addressed above

My friends who have had Kaiser in the past and are happy with it are also very happy with the Kaiser Medicare Advantage plan. Just keep in mind that if you go with a Medicare Advantage plan rather than a Supplement, you might not be able to get a Supplement plan later on.

I’m in northern Cal & have never been on Kaiser, so I’ve opted for a Supplement. I’m very happy with so far – I opted for one of the F- enhanced plans that comes with extras. For me I really like the freedom from having to worry about networks and copays and deductibles. I just like the idea of being able to make an appointment with whatever provider I choose and not having to worry about the cost. The first year pricing on my supplement is also very good, but that includes a $25 “new to Medicare” discount – so I’ll need to compare prices again in a year. I just wasn’t comfortable with locking myself into Kaiser when I did not already have an established relationship with Kaiser doctors or experience with their local facilities.

I also went to a Broker, so in an hour, the application was done. As a Medicare provider, I know which plans I like. UHC/AARP, BC, USAA, Horizon, … I was surprised when the agent informed me that AARP had an increase inpast year, but United American had a discount for females. So, I went with UAm. Sneakers would have been nice, but not top priority. The plans are within $10 or so. All the MDs I know accept these major plans.

As a mental health provider, it doesn’t pay for my patients to have Advantage plans. They pay most of the fee, and insurance pays @ $15.

I’m comfortable with our plan choice (G). It’s my understanding that I can use G for nearly any MD if they accept Medicare at all. There are no networks with G. I’ve also talked to 2 brokers, and both suggested BCBS or UHC. This was strictly based on current prices, and their experience with customer service. Neither, however, could answer most of my questions above ( past rates of increase, what happens to proposed plans if we move, etc.).

I met with a representative w/ our local dept. of aging, who could not answer the above. I called our state help line, who were stumped and told me to call Medicare direct. They too were stumped and said I had to confirm directly with each company about potential moves. So I called sales reps of each company and received conflicting answers! One BCBS rep told me (erroneously), that I would have guaranteed issue if I move since the same BCBS company does not sell in every state. I called the other state, and their BCBS confirmed I would be subject to underwriting because I could keep my current plan, and therefore would not be entitled to guaranteed issue. Another BCBS told me if I moved, my prices “could” increase, but had no clue as to how much (even for a specific state). Same company, different representative told me my prices would remain the same in the state in which I purchased it, as long as I kept that plan. Total opposites!

So, I was hoping this wise group may be able to help with their experiences. Never failed in the past :wink:

@calmom
I am very familiar with problems with changing supplemental plans, medical underwriting, birthday rule in CA. I know if I was to drop my supplement (G), change to Kaiser, and try to go back to (G) I would almost assuredly get denied because of my medical history. In my case I’m going to need to find new MD soon. One of the appeal for me at least seems to be if I change to Kaiser and don’t like new MD, it’s my understanding that I can change to another Kaiser MD with little to no hassle. If I keep my plan G and don’t like my new MD, it seems like more of a hassle and burden on me to find new MD.