9th Grader / Trying out for varsity

My daughter is starting BS this fall as a 9th grader. She will play field hockey at school. The coach sent an email asking incoming 9th graders (blind copy so we can’t see how many) if they would like to come to pre-season to try out for varsity. She is a developing player. She probably won’t make varsity, but she would like to show up to show that she is taking the sport seriously and also to get the experience. She will move in early, which might be good or bad. Does anyone have any advice on this issue - should she not go unless she is clearly able to make varsity?

Because she is an incoming 9th grader, I think it might be appropriate to call and ask how many kids there will be, if there will be other 9th graders, what the living situation will be, etc. If there are a bunch of girls, particularly 9th graders, it might be a good opportunity. I’ve heard different things from different schools regarding the early move-in experience.

Why should she not go? Even if she does not get in, she will see how skilled others are. It’s still useful next time she goes to try out for real. If others are clearly a whole lot better than her, then it’s better to know that early and get extra help to improve faster.

1 Like

Since the coach extended the invitation, i think she should seriously consider going. You could ask the coach if you have questions. It is an opportunity to bond with the players which would give here a head start on making friends before the rest of the student body arrives.

3 Likes

I’m inclined to say she should go. But she should be in shape beforehand and be prepared to play a lot. If she genuinely likes to play, it will be a good chance to improve her skills and bond with girls who share her passion.

This probably isn’t an opportunity for someone who hasn’t played before except in gym class or for a player who doesn’t really like to play. Pre-season can be pretty intense. For kids who love their sports, it’s great fun to be so immersed.

2 Likes

100%. Most important she should be prepared physically and mentally. Biggest downside would be not being able to complete preseason.

Preseason is at many schools a tryout. This often translates into them being competitive and intense. If your daughter isn’t up for that task and ultimately decides to quit preseason it can have longer term consequences both socially and athletically.

Not trying to scare her off just highlighting that it’s important to realize that as you get into HS sports things become more competitive and expectations rise.

Make sure her first impression isn’t that of a quitter. Not suggesting she is of course😀

2 Likes

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. If she has any experience playing field hockey - school or town, let alone club - I would send her. As a field hockey parent, I can say from experience that it is a shallow pool (which is one of the great things about it). There are always some ice hockey girls who play and pick it up quickly, but not many girls play and/or have experience, so, unless your daughter is going to one of the top field hockey boarding schools (Taft, for example), if she has experience playing, I’d bet she has a decent shot to make varsity. My humble recommendation would be to find some clinics and/or camps near your house and to send her to preseason, which is usually a great way to meet new students and get acclimated (although it admittedly can also be lonely, depending). Again, she could make it - don’t sell her short! And you are correct - even if she doesn’t, it sends the right message to the coaches for future years. Regardless, best of luck.

1 Like

Regarding sending her…coaches sometimes ask for the moon with their players. If this would disrupt your “last” summer family time, or special plans, I would first contact the coach before changing your preexisting summer itinerary. The coach may be “targeting”’ her, or it could be a mass email to all prospective players.

We’ve had this happen to us before, and it was a nothing burger - didn’t affect varsity team choices at all.

All the best.

2 Likes

I don’t see any harm in trying out. If she doesn’t make it, at least she will get to know the coach and other players. Perhaps she could make the JV team

Thank you all for your advice! All very sound!

1 Like

DS just finished his 9th grade year. He attended preseason for cross country at his school. Outside the actual sport, the benefits I witnessed were: early move-in, more interaction with upperclassmen that he may not have experienced otherwise, a longer transition period on campus prior to the start of classes and a few days without a roommate. My son stayed overnight in the dorms but because the school hadn’t begun the formal drop off/move in program, I was able to remain in town longer to buy last-minute items in a more relaxed/less harried manner as I was free to come and go into the dorm. That might not be true for all schools though.

1 Like