A few questions about dorms

<p>I just got my acceptance letter today, and I'm really excited about it~ but I'm just wondering which dorm would suit me the most. I'm majoring in pre-pharm, and I'm looking for a rather quiet dorm > close to campus...any suggestions? </p>

<p>Is it easier to bring a laptop than a desktop computer? I have a thing for desktop computers, but some of my friends say that there aren't enough electrical sockets to plug the desktop plugs in, and the uni bans extension chords...is it the same case for Purdue as well?</p>

<p>they have things that you can plug straight into the original socket that adds more sockets</p>

<p>Can't speak for the dorms as to which is best, but be sure to send your acceptance in now along with the request for housing. It'll put you on the list, which, come spring, will help you get into the dorm you want. You will be asked later this year for preference. The earlier you reply, the better chance of getting it.</p>

<p>I am a freshman at Purdue, and I live in Earhart. I think Earhart is really nice and one of the best. It is the only one to have air conditioning too. Also, we have one of the best dining halls. Also, for pre-pharm majors, there is a learning community that you have to apply for. If you make it, you would live in Harrison. I have a friend that lives there, and I don't think it is that nice, and it's not near as nice as Earhart. I've heard the worst dorm is Meredith. I think most people do like wherever they end up though. I hope this helps. Just ask if you have anymore questions.</p>

<p>Koolsherry, if you are a girl you might check out Windsor. They have a new dining hall and the 3 identical buildings that make up Windsor look to me like castles - very impressive on the outside. They are all girls' dorms but I don't know about how quiet they are. I do know that Earhart is pretty quiet as my S lives there and he likes it. PM me if you want and I can email you some pictures I took last month.</p>

<p>There are a lot of people on this forum talking about stuff they have no idea about.</p>

<p>Earhart, shreve, hillenbrand, cary are all air conditioned.</p>

<p>for girls
Windsor is nice because the rooms have neat architecture and are not all the same. It is also quieter than the other dorms in general.</p>

<p>You can easily hook as much as you want up in the dorm rooms. IMO.</p>

<p>Although, i find it convenient if you have a laptop to bring it. You can access wifi anywhere on campus and most anywhere around the city of west lafayette (there are many unsecure connections).</p>

<p>If you have a desktop....bring both.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help you guys~ :D
I think I'll choose Harrison as my first choice (because of the learning community thingamajig), Windsor second, and Earhart third.</p>

<p>I lived in Harrison. It is a rather noisy environments on the boy's floors. Unsure about female floors.</p>

<p>Good luck. Be sure to take advantage of BGR.</p>

<p>What's BGR?</p>

<p>Boiler Gold Rush</p>

<p>It is a GREAT freshman orientation program. Meet people, get accustomed to campus, move in a week earlier(avoid the move in rush). Great program.</p>

<p>Ohh that program...yeah I'm going around early-mid August, so I won't miss it =)</p>

<p>hey koolsherry, i'm interested in pre-pharm too...wondering what your stats were?? thanks</p>

<p>Sorry to bump this up again...but when I was applying for a learning community I chose the option that if I get chosen, I would be living in Owen Hall. Is it better than Windsor, Earhart and Harrison?</p>

<p>Another mom of an Earhart student, male (with female friends in Earhart). The rooms are very little but the furniture in them is brand new this year. For and extra $55 you can loft the bed, again with new equipment. There are plenty of outlets, son has a laptop and a desktop there. The new desks actually have an extension plug built in. I don't think there are any remarks about not having an extension cord. I know son has a surge protector, refrigerator and a microwave as well. It is a pretty quiet building and very clean. My son has friends on the girl side. The girls get air conditioners. The dining hall in Earhart has wonderful food. Sorry, I can't speak of any other dorm other than to say "hilltop" is quite a walk away. Also, agree with the poster, get the deposit in now, even if you don't know where you would like to live.</p>

<p>My S is in Earhart and during finals, they have an "open door" policy where you can leave your door open and people who need help can come ask questions and get help. The boys are supposed to get A/C next year. S's GF has requested Windsor (next year) which has small rooms but is quaint and looks like an English castle on the outside. Windsor also has a new cafeteria. We toured Windsor last time we were on campus and we thought it was beautiful.</p>

<p>If remodels haven't eliminated them, some of the best rooms on campus are the three located on the top floor of Wood Hall. One has a private bath; the other two share a bath. You'll have lots of privacy and quiet up there.</p>