A few questions about the school and transfer chances

<p>Im currently a freshman at the University of Miami studying biomedical engineering. im looking to transfer to a school that has a strong engineering department and i know that UW-M is pretty strong in biomedical engineering.</p>

<p>my main question is what is the city like? my mom said it was a very cool place and a nice college town but i wanted to get a different view on it. coming from miami i know it will be a big change but im not too worried about that.</p>

<p>also can anyone give their input on my chances?</p>

<p>high school
GPA UW-4.3ish
W-3.98
ACT-30
rank #1 valedictorian
received IB diploma
good EC's
college
GPA first semester 3.94</p>

<p>thanks for the help!</p>

<p>also what are the kids like? im coming from a school where the kids are...well, very wealthy and a little stuck up so im looking for a place where kids are down to earth</p>

<p>This is such a funny post to me because our d just got denied (yesterday)from Univ of Miami which was her #1 school and she was accepted into UW Madison which is more selective. You will:
1) Have a blast because midwest 'kind' is felt throughout...Can't beat 'Big Ten' enviornment. Incredible school spirit...Go Badgers !!!!!
2) Engineering is pretty tough so study hard ! But know that you will get a great education.. Big firms love kids from big 10 schools...you will be more well rounded with more clubs etc....
3) You will easily get in with those transfer grades...keep them up.
4) Can you put a word in for our daughter at miami.....it's -2 here yesterday.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr...LOL.
5) Seriously....Madison is a fabulous campus...listen to your mom and go visit and then apply.....................
6) What was it about Miami...seriously. The adcom seemed nice.</p>

<p>Oh yes.....my husband (we are from Wi) wanted me to also tell you that everyone is welcome to Madison but prepare yourself.....It is very liberal and all views are welcome.....he wanted me to remind you that girls aren't stuck up or drive beemers due to snow and ice...people wear lots of layers here....its really is @#$^&<em>^</em> cold and the campus is a huge blast..'be nice so you can snuggle with someone to keep warm'...that's our motto.</p>

<p>If a student body is going to protest/revolt/riot against the federal government, it will likely start at UW-Madison. LOL.</p>

<p>good luck...sorry about Miami...get out of there ASAP if your not happy...college is suppose to be great fun and great learning. There is a big world out there with kids to have great memories with...remember too, its not all about your stats...what makes you and your family happy!</p>

<p>thank you so much for the input. im actually from ohio so the midwest doesnt scare me haha and im glad to here that it is a liberal place, perfect for me!
and when i say the kids at miami are stuck up i am making generalizations but it is true that if you go to the student parking lots over half the cars are high end, bmw, lexus...etc but there are also the down to earth kids as well. miami is a great school and its making huge improvements within their departments but some schools just arent right for everyone. im sorry to hear about your daughter and i hope everything works out for her.</p>

<p>Thanks flash...good luck to you too...now go apply and get back to the midwest....also, we knew about the student population at Miami and we were sure that our daughter would not fit in...she was going for the weather...The pre-vet med programs are hands above better at UW madison and Univ of MN which is what she is deciding right now...she is midwest girl all the way...we don't think she would have re-located well at all. Again, goodluck!</p>