A few questions about UW-Madison

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'm an incoming transfer student to UW-Madison, enrolling for the Fall 2006 semester. I've had most of my questions answered by the admissions people (more helpful than at any other school I applied to, IMO), but I still have a few remaining questions about life at the school:</p>

<p>1) Do students get discounts on basketball/football/hockey tickets? If so, how do they work?</p>

<p>2) How helpful is the school when it comes to academic advising (choosing classes, planning for major, etc...)? Meaning, is it easy to get lost in the shuffle if you don't double and triple-check everything?</p>

<p>3) Is there a shuttle that goes to/from the Dane County Airport? I know about the Badger Bus that goes to/from Milwaukee, but whats the best way to get from the madison airport to the campus?</p>

<p>Any help is appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot,
LM225</p>

<p>I was thinking about shuttle bus from Chicago to Madison.</p>

<p>What about the Amtrack Train service from chicago to madison? where does it leave u? and how far from madison station is the campus?</p>

<p>I know basketball and hockey tickets are a lottery so they arent guaranteed. (freshman get entered once, sophmores twice, juniors = 3, Seniors = 4). As for football you can get season tickets for 7 games for around 185 I think. They sell out quick but they do hold tickets for freshman.</p>

<p>1) see guapocarlos above</p>

<p>2) Advising varies. You must be a self-advocating person if you want to attend this school. The curriculum is challenging, people are competetive, and it's easy to get lost in the shuffle if you don't take advantage of advising and make sure you fully understand all the requirements.</p>

<p>3) Madison has a great bus sytem. It's very easy to get to the Dane county airport. Buses to Chicago leave from the student union frequently and leave you at ohare airport.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, this was all very helpful.</p>

<p>About the buses:</p>

<p>The airport bus does not run overnight between about 9:00pm and 6:00am, or on weekends, I think.</p>

<p>Doesn't run on weekends? When else would students be heading home?</p>

<p>The Badger Cab company is very reasonable and will take you to or from the airport for about $10 I think. Shared ride deal so you make a few stops along the way but cheap and faster than a bus.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.msnairport.com/ground_transport.asp%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.msnairport.com/ground_transport.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Wow, just looked at that, everything in Madison seems so cheap. I know its a minimum of 30 bucks to get to the aiport here in Boston and it usually costs more.</p>

<p>Anyone know the ticketing process for graduate students? I'd really like to get football and basketball tickets and if possible an extra for my fiance (who won't be university-affiliated). Are there any family tickets options at reduced rates for students?</p>

<p>Edit: I'll probably want some hockey tickets too (my fiance is into hockey)...</p>

<p>Also what about the less popular sports such as soccer? (dang it...no lacrosse!)</p>

<p>Football, Basketball and Hockey are tough-they use a lottery. Grad students are in with all the others. I don't think they charge for soccer and such.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.uwbadgers.com/tickets/fb/fb_student.aspx%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.uwbadgers.com/tickets/fb/fb_student.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>football tickets are not a lottery when you get the season ticket package and those are sold out except for freshman, which they hold a certain amount for.</p>

<p>"All orders received by the Wisconsin Athletic Ticket Office prior to the deadline will be entered into a random lottery. Season ticket coupons or regrets will be sent to summer addresses on record in late July. Fax orders will not be accepted."
Football for new students and transfers
There are more seats for students for football than the others so the odds are probably good.</p>

<p>Called the university....No lottery for football, season tickets are sold to freshman first come first serve.</p>

<p>INCOMING STUDENTS (Freshmen, Transfers, New Graduate and New Professional Students)</p>

<p>Season ticket notices will be mailed to summer addresses on record in early June. Incoming students can order their tickets online at uwbadgers.com or by phone at 1-800-GO-BADGERS with confirmation of your student I.D. number. Individuals must submit their orders to the Wisconsin Athletic Ticket Office by the end of the business day on Friday, June 30, 2006. </p>

<p>All orders received by the Wisconsin Athletic Ticket Office prior to the deadline will be entered into a random lottery. Season ticket coupons or regrets will be sent to summer addresses on record in late July. Fax orders will not be accepted. </p>

<p>I'd go with what the website says rather than some random person who might have misunderstood the question. Some of the ticket office people are not the brightest bulbs.</p>

<p>1.) i dont know about tickets - i dont go.</p>

<p>2.) <em>Yes</em> double and triple check everything.<br>
If you're in doubt, see an advisor and put some of the burden on their shoulders.
Did I say double and triple check everything?</p>

<p>3.) Dane County Airport is under construction and thus horribly expensive. Space is so limited that they jacked up the prices so only the rich people and business travelers could reasonable afford such trips.
Take the Van Galder bus to OHare in Chicago. The buses are very nice, very clean. RoundTrip for students is about $35. And flights out of Chicago are well-priced.</p>