A few questions about UW

Hello!
I have been accepted into UW for an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering as an International student. I’m a non-party Person, and am not really into alcohol or anything of the sort. I like playing Video games and playing outdoor sports with friends whenever possible (not that im good at any :P) The reason I plan to study in the US is not just for the Quality Education, but for the all round college experience itself.

Now, With not many days left for deciding on my university, I have a few questions about UW.

1. Would the party scene there make me feel uncomfortable ? If not, Which dorm do you recommend Choosing ? I am looking at the Substance-Free community at Kronshage and Philips for its in-room Bathrooms and brilliant lake side view :)
  2. I have heard the weather gets pretty bad in winters. Having lived in the Middle East (Oman) all my life, would it be possible for me to adjust to the relatively cold UW climate?
  3. 6 year graduation rates. I have seen that UW has a slightly high 6 Year grad rate. Since I hail from a middle class family, I cannot really afford to go above the 4 year time period without making things a bit too tight. Should I take the grad rates into account?
  4. Finally, What would be the reasons you would recommend UW over the other universities ? ( For reference, I have got into Virginia Tech and Penn State for the same course aswell. Why would UW be a better choice for me over the other 2 ? )

Any help/advice will be much appreciated :smiley:
Thank You :slight_smile:

You were admitted to the university as a whole, regardless of your proposed major. This means you can change majors at any time, although a late change could mean needing more courses (eg after 3 years of college a radical change of focus). Do not worry about grad rates. You need to take enough courses each semester to keep on track with your plans. Not all students do this- some because they are working an can’t take as many classes while others change or add majors. I assume you can handle 4 courses adding up to 16 or 17 credits. Depending on the rigor of your HS sciences you may find those easier than many do.

1- do not worry about any party scene. You do your own thing. Lakeshore may suit you- any of the dorms. You won’t necessarily have a lake view from your dorm room- many need to face the other direction. But you can enjoy the lakeshore outdoors and from other places.

2- weather. Anywhere you have been accepted may seem cold to you in winter. You will start college with summer temperatures. You will acclimate to the cold just like everyone else. The first fall cold spells feel colder than they will once you are used to them. In winter when there may be a brief warm up temps that seemed awfully cold in late fall will seem downright balmy. There is great central heat all over and cold weather is conducive to studying (plenty of nearby libraries no matter where you live on campus). This is your chance to experience all four seasons, rain, snow etc. The hills are great for traying (sledding on trays) and you will find others to enjoy the snow with. Indian H lived 30 years in Wisconsin- as do many others from the tropics. You’ll do fine.

3- see above. Declaring a major now means you will get more focused SOAR advice when you register. Think harder, not easier schedule. Some will “ease into” college, others plunge right in and handle heavier course loads. You’ll likely have more science courses as required for any engineering which should make sense to you. Being able to get classes you need counts. At any school your schedule and availability may mean you won’t get your number one elective but you certainly will be able to take courses that interest you to fulfill breadth requirements. A few years ago UW added class sections to help freshmen get needed courses.

4- I’m biased towards UW. This IS the UW forum after all. World class institution. Academics in STEM subjects superb. Great campus- you’ve already noticed the lakeshore. Liberal with a wide variety of nonacademic activities to appeal to a diverse student body. Expect your ideas of how the world works to be challenged- just as they will be for locals.