A few questions on UC Application

<p>Hi, I’m an out of state student applying to UCs, but I’m confused in several areas of the UC application.</p>

<p>1) I can’t seem to find a list of “a-g UC approved courses” anywhere, and honors approved courses to boot.</p>

<p>From my 10-11th grade schedule, can anyone tell me if a class isn’t an a-g course?</p>

<p>10th grade:
American Studies English
American Studies History
Symphony Orchestra
Health (one semester)
Honors advanced functions and trig
Honors Chemistry
Public speaking (one semester)
Gym (one semester)
Science Fair Honors Research</p>

<p>11th grade:
AP Computer Science
AP Statistics
Honors Precalculus
IB Biology year one HL
Physics
AP English Language & Composition</p>

<p>I’m guessing orchestra, public speaking, gym, health, and science fair research don’t count, but I’m wondering if the honors courses count as “honors approved” by the UCs. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.</p>

<p>2) I’m going to have a residency in california by November 20, and I’m wondering if I should mention that. I understand UC’s are beginning to accept more OOS students because of the tuition, but if I do mention that I will have a residency, then would that potentially make the admissions board look down on my application?</p>

<p>3)The last day to take the sat/sat subject tests/act is december. How do you submit scores even though the application process has passed? Does that mean that, regardless of what you get, you HAVE to send in the score (no time to check)?</p>

<p>I know there are quite a few questions, but any sort of help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)</p>

<p>1) You really should meet with your counselor, who will have a list of A-G course and Honors-approved courses. It’s best that we don’t guess…</p>

<p>2) I think that you need to let them know if you will soon be a CA resident. Or when your tuition bill comes, won’t it be for OOS? </p>

<p>3) Just have Collegeboard send the scores directly (don’t wait until you see them to send them) and they will just evaluate your app once they’re in. Shouldn’t more than a couple weeks for the scores to get there.</p>

<p>1.The only way to know for sure is go through the application process. The online application is available already so it should not be difficult to check.
2. UCs are NOT biased toward in-state, your chance of being admitted will not drop just because you are out of state. The only difference is that OOS are required to have 3.4 GPA as an eligible criteria while in-state is 3.0.
3. You send the score via testing agency like you would normally do. Just make sure you indicated in the application that you are taking/retaking the test in December.</p>

<p>The application process does not state what is and what is not an a-g approved course and my counselor did not know. The application does, however, state that the primary subjects such as social studies, sciences, etc are a-g courses, but since it’s so vague, I find it hard to determine courses like science research as well as what is and what is not honors approved for UCs.</p>

<p>I suppose I could state that I find out about moving to CA only after the application deadline has ended. I’m feeling a little uneasy about applying as an OOS student but admitting to have to pay in-state tuition, which is probably one of the most significant reasons the UCs even accept out of state students.</p>

<p>Okay, this is going to be vague (sorry) but when I went to talk with my counselor, she pulled up my high school in the UC database (I’m not sure how it’s accessed) which had the lists of UC approved courses specific to our school…</p>

<p>The UC honors approved courses are for high schools in California. So even though at your school it says that you are taking an honors course you have to select Not Honors on the application.</p>