A few questions... please help.

<p>Well, I went to Hofstra University freshmen year and than left for financial reasons. Now I'm going to Westchester Community College (which is part of SUNY) and I'm looking to transfer to Geneseo. </p>

<p>My GPA at Hofstra was 3.89, and looking to keep it up at WCC, but I was recently told I only need a 3.0 and I automatically get into any SUNY from WCC? Is this true? I'll still want to keep a good GPA because I am looking to go to law school, but can anyone let me know if that's true or not. If it is then it takes weight off my shoulders because I know I can get in.</p>

<p>Anyway, my other questions:</p>

<p>For Gen Ed at Geneseo, can I count any courses on two sections? In the FAQ it says:</p>

<p>"A few courses in the General Education curriculum may be counted toward more than one area. These courses appear in the Undergraduate Bulletin with double prefixes (S/M, S/U)."</p>

<p>So, I have taken American Politics before, which is under both S and U, it counts for both then? I will than plan on taking Developing World Politics, which is in both S and M, will that also count for both? So rather than taking 4 courses, I have taken 2 and I'd be set? I just want to make sure.</p>

<p>The next questions are for English Majors... </p>

<p>Is English 170 basically English 2? Because I took English 1 and 2 at Hofstra, so I'm curious if 170 is something different or not. </p>

<p>What would be considered a "Specific Genre" english course? </p>

<p>And lastly, does the world lit class have to cover multiple cultures or can it just be one culture? For example: could I take "Non-western literature: Japanese" and would it count?</p>

<p>Well, those are just some of my questions for everyone at Geneseo. If someone could answer them I'd be really grateful.</p>

<p>Oh and how is it at Geneseo? Hopefully if I get in I can have a good time there, seems nice... I don't think I'll mind a small school considering I'm from a small town.</p>

<p>Another question I forgot to ask... </p>

<p>Do you think that an "American Poetry" class would count towards an American Literature req? Because there is no American poetry class at Geneseo, so not sure...</p>

<p>As far as guaranteed admission, there is no clear cut GPA at which you will be admitted to another SUNY (some schools may have policies like that, but its not a SUNY wide rule). All applicants are reviewed on an individual basis at Geneseo. What that person (correctly) meant was that if you have a 2.0 or higher in any individual course within SUNY it is guaranteed to transfer for credit to any other SUNY, but not necessarily for useful credit (i.e. maybe just general elective credit satisfying nothing). Either way, you had a 3.89, so you aren't exactly falling behind. </p>

<p>Courses can count as more than one thing. In taking American politics you satisfy 2 areas of gen ed, US History (U) and Social Science (S). Developing world politics will give you the multicultural credit (M), but not a social science as the credits must be from different departments (i.e. not 2 PLSC). Actually, it seems like you may be a PLSC major, in which case you can not count credits from your home department and neither would count for social science (stupid, i know). [see page 46-50 of the undergrad bulletin... <a href="http://bulletin.geneseo.edu/Bulletin_06_08v13.pdf%5D%5B/url"&gt;http://bulletin.geneseo.edu/Bulletin_06_08v13.pdf][/url&lt;/a&gt;]. If you get f’d over too bad, there’s always the dean’s office… the dean can override any graduation requirement, and your department chair can override any major requirement (although, you must have very good cause).</p>

<p>I am not an English major, so I am probably useless for that question... however I took English I and II from a community college in HS, and English I transferred as ENGL 100, and English II transferred as INTD 105 (the critical reading and writing core requirement). This was from Jamestown Community College though.</p>

<p>and never mind the PLSC comment, looks like you are going with English?, but still an important point, so I'll leave it</p>

<p>Geneseo's campus is nice, and all of the people here are incredibly friendly... I would say you should enjoy it, but everyone is different. Good luck.</p>