A few questions

When the deadline closes in a few minutes for housing requests, what happens next? I see the first housing requests for incoming freshmen starts Monday. Do the Honor kids register earlier in the day Monday, or this weekend? Or was that what was happening today before 5 pm CST.

Do students have to go to orientation to register for classes? Do they save slots in classes for kids that attend the latter sessions? Do Honors freshman not get an priority in the Fall registration? It looked to me on the website like the priority starts with the Spring Semester.

I am not certain, but I believe that Freshman do have to attend a Bama Bound (orientation) to have the registration “hold” removed from their account. They will register for the first time at BB, and then afterwards, they can tweak/change their schedule as much as they wish. For this reason, it is advantageous to go to as early a BB as is practical. There are a couple Honors BB sessions for the first two BB – so, yes, the honors kids can get first dibs if they go to one of those first sessions, but if you can’t go to one of those, Honors kids can attend any BB (that has room). So, the registration priority is a bit diluted for Freshman, since you have to wait for BB to register. After first semester (especially if you have AP credits, too), you’ll have a bigger registration advantage for all subsequent semesters. I’ve also read that they open up new seats and even new sections of courses throughout the summer, which allows some “new” seats for each BB. So, if you’ve already registered at an earlier BB, you can check back constantly through the summer and catch “new” seats when they are opened for each BB and/or as students drop/change throughout the summer.

I hope that helps!

Housing selection begins on Monday for everyone. Your time slot is based upon when you put in your application. The room mate who has the earliest time selection should be assigned to choose the room. He/She will pull in all the other roomies. Last year, our suite was on the phone together during the selection process so the boys could discuss potential rooms. They had made a list ahead of time 1st choice, 2nd choice etc. There is no separate time for Honors/Non Honors. Non Honors students cannot “see” Honors choices on their selection screen.

Will your DD be doing any of the pre activities, such as Alabama Action or Outdoor Action? I highly recommend that she do one since she’s coming from OOS. These are great honors ice breakers!!

She would need to sign up ASAP for one

Get on top of the dorm room reservation - learn from the web site and post #2.

If you have not scheduled for BAMA Bound, do so ASAP - the sessions fill up. If you come earlier in the summer, there is more opportunity to juggle the schedule around. The first semester schedule is the roughest to get ‘right’ - however that depends on major and courses. For example many students need CH 101 for other courses, so that is high demand. My DD last year got all her courses at BAMA Bound registration, but was able to get two courses moved to have a heavy class day (Monday) not be quite as heavy; we were able to do that through the depts (chemistry and math). Some students come in with a lot of AP or Community College dual enrollment hours, so that may have their class scheduling be more tricky.

Agree about the pre-activities helping OOS students get together with others before school starts. DD was in Million Dollar Band so on campus before classes started. OO/AA, or even early college. Sorority/fraternity. Lots of options. Also once school starts, there are a number of religious ministries that students have various activities together.

Room-mates may be great to make as friends, while you may find others with some of your DD’s classes, etc.

DD told me she was more social than she thought she would be. Had a great freshman year.

Good luck.

^^ Housing/room selection starts Tuesday 5th, not Monday right? My DS supposedly has the first group slot for the selection process and the housing portal says his is May 5th @ 6pm CST. Am I missing something?

Right- Tuesday not Monday. Had my days/dates mixed up. My bad.