A-G matching on extra course reduces calculated GPA

For California State University Application, if I put the A-G category for an additional Summer course, the Calculated GPA decreases slightly. Should I leave it blank?

The more courses you add, the more it dilutes the impact of the honors/IB/AP classes. @Gumbymom would know for sure, but I don’t think you can simply not report a course.

The more A-G classes you take it will dilute your CSU GPA.

The college will account for that and will want to see the summer class…

So YES put in the A-G designation.

If it is listed on your transcript, you need to include it on the application.

I can’t find the exact CSU verbiage but the UC website on filling out an application states:

Make sure you refer to your transcripts (or academic records) as you fill out any information — don’t enter information from your memory. It’s important to report all of your schools, courses and grades exactly as they would appear on official transcripts or academic records.

1 Like

I believe the OP is not saying he wouldn’t report the class.

There is a section on the CSU app where you have to designate A-G after you report the class. There is an option to leave it blank. As said above they will take that into consideration so yes, do fill in the designation.

From the CSU application guide:

** Important notes about reporting high school coursework.
You will report all A-G courses, including courses in addition to those used to satisfy subject requirements**

As stated above, you must report all a-g courses that are listed on your transcript. If discrepancies are found after being admitted, it could result in your acceptance being rescinded.

To be competitive, the CSU’s expect applicants to exceed the minimum a-g course requirements. Yes, the more a-g courses taken will dilute the capped weighted CSU GPA however additional courses will be noted towards your academic rigor.

1 Like

Thanks all, will add the A-G designation field as well, and take the small hit on the calculated GPA.

1 Like

We are completing the CSU app now. My daughter took a CSU only transferrable English class over the summer at a community college ( in addition to 4 years of high school english) . When I enter the class it doesnt pre-populate the A-G designation as “B”, which is the English category. It leaves it blank. When I look the class up on Assit it says it is transferrable but it does not meet a CSU GE requirement.

I can enter “B” myself but I wan to make sure that is correct.

1 Like

Does the community college have a list of courses at University of California A-G Course List ? You may find the course listed under either the B or G category.

the only list I can find from the college is CSU/ UC GE requirements or transferrable to CSU or UC. In the course descprition in the course catalouge also says it says CSU transferrable.

If the English course falls into the GE area A2 from assist.org, you can manually enter it as Category B

https://help.liaisonedu.com/@api/deki/files/244912/Cal_State_Apply_College-Dual_Enrollment_Coursework_Guidance_23-24.pdf?revision=2

and if it doesn’t, then no credit? Its A3

According to the chart on the link I posted, they want to see a Written Communication A2 course to fulfill an English requirement. I would email or call Cal Poly SLO and ask admissions. They may accept the course for the 5th year of English.

2 Likes

I emailed Cal poly admissions and answer is below. Good news for us.

Yes, the class can be listed on your daughter’s application as an area-B English course. The “A2” designation relates to transfer student general education requirements and is not applicable for first-year student applications.

1 Like

Excellent. Thank you for the update.