A- in AP Computer science principles oh boy

What’s up gang sophomore here. To make a long story short, my teacher is giving me an A- because when I tried to turn in a project the website was DOWN so I had to submit it late, but I am not getting any points. Already spoke to him about it.

Many students in my school get an A in the class but I’m left with an A- wondering how bad it is. How screwed am I?

I can only get an A if I get 97+ on the next three tests

I plan on being a physics major btw

1 Like

You tagged UC Berkeley and the UC’s do not consider the +/- sign for grades so your A- is an A. Also, what is wrong with an A- anyways??? Lesson learned, get your project in early since computers can be just as unreliable as a student.

5 Likes

First…if this screen name is your real name I would urge you to send an email to admin@collegeconfidential.com

Give them your current screen name and what you want it changed to.

Second…please stop stressing as a sophomore about one A- grade.

1 Like

Yeah, I made a mistake, will do thanks

1 Like

As an FYI - unlike Reddit A2C, most posters here on CC are your parents’ age or older. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

An A- I’m Comp Sci Principles won’t impact you all that much.

Were you submitting at the last minute? If everyone else submitted ahead of time and you were the only one trying to beat the buzzer, I can see how your teacher might not view that very sympathetically.

It’s fine, stuff like this happens. Just give yourself more time in the future.

1 Like

What about Stanford? And I heard that A-'s indicate less proficiency, and that an A- in an “easy” class(according to my peers) will hurt.

thanks for your response!

Stop discussing your grades with your classmates. And stop listening to them. They are HS students just like you.

There are plenty of kids at Stanford who had less than perfect HS grades. AND there are plenty with perfect grades who were rejected by the school.

Just do the best you can and that’s it.

And when the time comes, please craft a college application list that has both likely schools for acceptance that are affordable, as well as those reaches.

2 Likes

You are a Sophomore, so 1 A- will not tip the scales either way. You could have a 4.0 unweighted, 1600 SAT or 36 ACT, have outstanding EC’s and national awards and still not get into a school like Stanford or even UC Berkeley. You should enjoy High school and do the best you can. HS is there for you to learn about your strengths, explore interests and be a kid. Do not focus on any colleges until end of Junior year.

4 Likes

My observation of students who have been accepted to the various highly-rejective schools and those who have not been is that these schools do not value perfection nearly as much as high school students, and especially parents, think they do. They seem to be looking for great, not perfect.

4 Likes