A little advice please!

<p>So pretty much I want to major in Broadcast Journalism. I live in Florida and want to stay here because I want to work at a Spanish channel (either Telemundo or Univision) and be a reporter/host. My options for colleges are UMiami and FIU (Florida International University). UM has all the equipment and TV/Radio stations. FIU does not have TV stations and does not even have my major (they have something called Media Studies). Because of my low SAT scores, I might not get accepted into UM. I already got accepted into FIU and was given a scholarship. </p>

<p>My question is... To become a reporter or a TV host, is it really necessary to go to a prestigious college? Or are the relationships you make a better chance for me to go into my field? I have talked to a lot of people and they all say they have friends working at Univision that didn't even study Journalism... </p>

<p>What do you guys think? Is a journalist better because of his/her education or because of the contacts he/she has?</p>

<p>Definitely contacts. When getting jobs in journalism, real-life internships are more important than the fancy name of the college you went to. </p>

<p>However, one other thing to consider is that the bigger/more successful the j-school, the bigger the alum base will be. But then again, the alum base won’t help if you have no experience/anything to offer.</p>

<p>Lol, wow, that sounds a little bit confusing, but pretty much, you should just apply to UMiami to see if you can get in first and then go forward after that.</p>

<p>Mariaflores, you already answered your question about the school that you want go to. “UM has all the equipment and TV/Radio stations.” I suggested that you look at the UMiami’s School of Communication website and see what they have to offer for journalism. I know someone from my high school who attends UMiami and is in the journalism concentration there. Do not apply to FIU. Media studies is not journalism. It is mostly communication theory and does not teach real-world journalism skills. Trust me, I previously attended a university that did not offer journalism and instead had media studies. I did neither enjoy the major nor understand it. I was not happy. I really strongly regretted attending that institution and learn my lesson that I must choose a school that I have my major and research what the institution has to offer me. I am currently attending a school that has my major, which is journalism. I couldn’t be more happier. I also agree in what capsfan95 is saying. I also suggest that you reach out to UMiami and try to talk to the students and faculty members in the journalism concentration that you are seeking to major in.</p>

<p>You just might get into UM, so don’t eliminate that option yet! I’m also a hopeful reporter and would love to attend UM. ¡Buena suerte y que todo vaya bien!</p>