A&M Admission Questions

Hi all, I have a few questions on the behalf of my son.

Does A&M admit by college/major? When are review admits notified of admission decisions? Does the university use a wait-list? Can a student purchase a meal plan even if they are not living in on-campus housing?

No, students are admitted to the university first, then they may pick any open major - engineering is considered ‘full’ at 85%, then the last 15% are filled by competitive review. All other majors fill to 100%. If your majors on your application are full (you list 2), you will be asked to pick another major. Review admits MAY be notified prior to Dec , but it is rare (and almost always an acceptance only) - most are notified between Dec - Mar ( since you can update your file until Dec 1). My understanding is that no, there isn’t a wait list. There is some built in loss, lately the class sizes have been increasing at a pace higher than expected so even if they had a wait list it would not be activated. Regarding majors, the same is true - they don’t ‘fill in’ if someone decides not to attend, those loss factors are already built in to the numbers accepted. Yes, you can purchase an on campus meal plan - but you can also buy meals on campus with cash/credit (you don’t have to have a plan).

Wow, @AGmomx2 that’s a lot of very helpful info in your reply post. My son is interested in liberal arts majors (history, philosophy and govt) so hopefully there will be open slots available there as they are not the high-demand STEM majors. Its great to know about the deadline for updating the file, no need to consider mid-semester grades transcript as that would not be ready by Dec. 1.

I think I’m going to need to do additional research regarding the meal plan. Because he is a review admit applicant, I’m concerned if he will be able to secure freshman housing on campus. Moreover, I’m concerned about whether after the freshman year he’ll be able to prepare and obtain food on his own absent a meal plan or some other kind of arrangement. I guess I need to research which is more economical having the plan or simply letting him buy food on his own which will give him the maximum flexibility.

I was a review admit last year for class of 2019. Admitted into engineering. 30 ACT. Class rank 30%. Very strong resume. I was notified in early November. However, all the friends that i knew that got in through review heard back February. Good luck!