A&M dilemma

Hi!
I was accepted into TAMU and an out of state school and received scholarships so going to these schools would be the same price, but I’m not sure if I have the A&M personality type, is it still possible to fit in at A&M even if I would be considered more of a UT/Austin personality type (hippy,liberal, etc.)? I applied to UT but got CAP’d, should I maybe take this route?

I have okay stats too: 31 on ACT and a 3.9 unweighted

TAMU has all different personality types and student organizations, there’s a place for everyone.
For instance, TAMU has one of the best collegiate League of Legends teams. I would have never expected it.

My S worked at the radio station, KANM. All the students there were into the latest indie music, no country or top 10 allowed. They basically made their own Austin music scene right there on campus. It is very easy to get a slot as a DJ for a few hours a week. My S got access to all the latest indie music because the bands send their CDs to the station to get airplay. I don’t know if you like indie music but the point is there are all flavors and stripes at A&M if you look.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about it! I’m in the same boat, I’m a liberal and basically a hippie. My dad and my aunts are pretty much hippies. My dad’s hair is also longer than mine. (I’m a female). I’m still planning on going to TAMU even though I love ATX! the campus had a great vibe and everyone was so friendly! Yes the majority of people are more conservative but the environment just feels comfortable and welcoming. There’s tons of clubs on campus, you just have to find where you fit best. :slight_smile: also, CSTAT is only an hour or two away from ATX if you need a weekend getaway!

My S is an environmentalist social justice liberal who loves Austin but chose TAMU without regret. As Emily mentioned a weekend in Austin is very doable and my son takes the trip once in a while. As others have mentioned depending on what your interests are there very likely is a group with that focus. Perhaps if you asked about them more specifically you could get channeled to groups that you can explore and see if it feels like more of a fit. One big difference between UTA and TAMU is the urban feel vs the college town feel. I think this can be a bigger obsticle if you are craving city life. I strongly suggest you visit TAMU and try and speak to people with your interests. My son thought he wasn’t interested in TAMU until he visited and then decided it was a better fit that UT. Visit and you may be pleasantly surprised!