A&M Egineering at Galveston

My son got accepted into Texas A&M Galveston engineering class of 2021. He was also accepted at UT Cockrell School of Engineering and Colorado School of Mines. However, his first choice is TAMU at College Station, or Blinn, but definitely not Galveston. What he will probably do is go to UT and then try to transfer to CS for sophomore year.

Grades/Tests
5.11 GPA weighted
3.5 unweighted

ACT 35
SAT 1420 - 700 V/ 720 M

He is ranked 190 out of 586 (32%) - he goes to a really competitive high school. He has A’s in Physics AP and calculus AB. He also has leadership and volunteer activities.

He applied October 15.

I called the TAMU regional admissions office in Houston to ask if there is a chance he could get to CS or Blinn in the fall. The counselor I spoke with said that they have no waiting list, and pretty much every who is accepted at TAMU eng. ends up attending (which I find hard to believe).

Does anyone know if there is any way to change to Blinn/CS? Make an appointment with an admissions counselor? Could there be a mistake? I read on another post that colleges see what other schools you have your FAFSA sent to. Could they be thinking TAMU is his back-up school?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Wow! I’m sorry that this is so stressful. His scores are awesome, especially in a competitive school. Ranking really is a tough thing to judge, because it’s not always equal, depending on the competitiveness of your school. I heard the same thing about them seeing schools you share the FAFSA with, but I don’t know if that holds weight. Then again, we are so new to all this and learning together, so don’t hold me to that. Did he have decent EC’s? I also can’t imagine every person accepted into Engineering actually enrolls, because some are waiting on scholarship decisions. I did read that they send out more acceptance letters than spots they have to fill, knowing a certain percentage will be declining. I have been reading some great things about Galveston. You really should check it out if you haven’t yet. If I’m not getting my facts mixed up, we have one parent here whose twin sons both applied with similar stats, and one got CS and one got Galveston. So many tough decisions to make!! He’d still be an Aggie, which really seems to hold so much weight when it’s all said an done. Good luck to you, and keep us posted!!

In the same boat, and can’t understand it. Out of curiosity, what options, if any, were given with his admit decision?

Galveston is A&M! And it is a great option for students that would choose major over campus. However, my student would prefer switching to second choice major for the freshman experience at College Station.

@rvhappynow Thanks! His EC’s - symphony orchestra, Key Club, marching band (section leader), National Science Honor Society, and volunteer youth basketball coach for 3 seasons. Yes, Galveston IS A&M, but it’s not the same spending freshman year in Galveston as opposed to a “real” campus, with all the bells and whistles. Plus, you would have to drive so far to the games. That’s not the full college experience the first year. It seems that A&M would lose a lot of students (like probably my son) this way. I wish they focused on making more space at Blinn and CS.

@123vca Sorry to hear you are in the same situation! We didn’t get any options that I can see. It just says “You’ve been admitted to engineering at Galveston!” We thought about switching to another major but since he’s already in engineering I don’t think it’s a good idea to rock the boat. Let me know if you find anything out!

@jsm123 I guess you have to decide if a degree in engineering from A&M is more important to you than the freshman year at Galveston and not having a “full college experience”. At the end of 4 years they will have the same degree and the same ring as those that were in CS their freshman year and in the end isn’t THAT why you are going to school?

Actually, I was told by admissions that, for the most part, students admitted to engineering @ Galveston do not have the option of changing their major.

For what’s it worth… I live in Houston and know kids that are at Galveston this year. They LOVE it and all head to CS on the weekends for the games. I’ve really heard great things about it.

@jsm123 I have a good friend who just finished grad school at A&M (CS). His undergraduate studies were in Louisiana, but even though he didn’t start out an Aggie, you would be hard pressed to find someone more an Aggie than he is. He lives and breathes A&M and is a champion for the school. Only y’all can decide what is best, but if given the chance, in hindsight, my friend would have chosen Galveston over any other non A&M school, just so he could have started and finished as part of A&M’s great program. Have you considered visiting the campus before making a final decision? Best of luck to y’all! These are tough decisions.

Your son has two fantastic options! My daughter studies ME at UT and loves it there. I’m not an Aggie so I probably have a different perspective than many on this forum, but I wouldn’t pass up either of those schools for Blinn. I’d stick with your plan; if he doesn’t love UT, transfer.

Here’s a couple of links for FAFSA https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/10/28/colleges-use-fafsa-information-reject-students-and-potentially-lower-financial-aid Looks like they have attempted a fix to the problem https://www.edvisors.com/fafsa/forms/tutorial/school-selection/order-colleges/ which started with 2016-2017.

Yes, I am very familiar with Galveston and TAMUG campus. In fact, my DD went that route and then ended up graduating from Mays in CS. It is a great program, but my third aggie kid really wants the option of beginning at CS. His older brother is there as a sophomore. Praying that he will have the option of changing major. If not, he will have to weigh his A&M option against other school offers.

@JMS123
My son also got accepted to TAMU Galveston for Engineering yesterday. He was disappointed as he wanted to be at CS, but the pathway to CS is still easier this way than transferring later. The Galveston route is not considered a transfer, but a campus change. As long as he has the grades, he has a guaranteed spot at the CS college of engineering his second year.

If you try to transfer in from another school, he will be required to follow the transfer criteria which is much tougher. Also, if you withdraw or drop classes could have a negative impact on acceptance. The acceptance for transfer students was around 57% from what I read on https://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student

Here are the 2016 stats:

Of the 6,085 transfer applicants, 57% were admitted and 73% of the admitted students enrolled at Texas A&M University in Fall 2016. (This includes all majors, not just engineering).

I am not sure its worth the risk transferring from another school considering how competitive it is to get it.

I learned today, that TAMU Galveston freshman’s can attend Fish Camp in the summer with other CS students. Galveston also has their own fishcamp called saltcamp. I will have my son attend both.

The biggest issue I see is dorm room housing their sophomore year. The Galveston students learn in June 2018 if they meet the qualifications to switch campuses, which doesn’t give much time to secure housing at CS, but I spoke with admissions today and they said they are working on having space in the Engineering dorm slated for Galveston students.

They also have a shuttle bus that takes students to the games on the weekends, so they feel the Aggie Spirit.

Hope this info helps someone!

I am sorry your son is not happy with his admission decision at Galveston. I know the disappointment all too well. My son was a NM commended (2110 old SAT= 1470 new SAT) just out of top ten with high achieving stats, leadership and awards, and an aerospace engineering internship during his Sr year that is ongoing every summer full time. He was denied UT engineering. He really wanted UT. It is where his dad went (and still bleeds burnt orange), his uncle and his cousin of the same age was accepted into engineering. So, A&M was his back up along with one other that offered full tuition for 4 years in engineering. He was offered wait list, CAP and PACE and through wait list, was offered full admission to any open major, which did not include STEM. So, with acceptances to engineering elsewhere, he declined. It took him until Fish Camp to really get excited about A&M and he’s really enjoying it. It has been a good fit, more than he realized it would be as a 17 year old when he got accepted.

Your son absolutely has two great options in UT or College of Mines if he elects not to accept A&M Galveston.

As a transfer student, your son will face several factors that are considered in the admission decision for transfer students. If he is really considering transferring, it is something to look into wholly. It may be harder to transfer than it was to be accepted as a freshman. Both colleges told us this in our campus visits when my son was a Sr.
These include, but are not limited to:
1.number of students currently enrolled in the majors,(Petroleum took 2 transfers in the fall per the fall transfer thread).
2.projected number of admitted first-year students who will enroll in the major for the semester under review,
3.the projected number of admitted transfer students who will enroll in the major for the semester under review,
4.the number of transfer applicants under review, and
5.the academic record of those transfer applicants under review.
He also cannot have a C in any class during the semester prior to applying to transfer
All math and science must be an A or B to be competitive.
To prepare for transfer, each department in the college of engineering has identified a list of courses students should complete. https://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/majors

He is guaranteed his college of choice with a 3.5 after two semesters and more of a chance getting the major he wants with lower GPA from GV (the lowest for Mechanical acceptance was 2.5 last cycle) As external transfers to Look COE, which are very competitive, a 3.5 may not be competitive to even get accepted. Both first year programs have weed out classes. Several of my son’s first semester classes ended with a fraction of the students they started with. Here are the stats of the applicants from the last apply to major cycle. https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-spring-2016-admission-cycle

Perhaps an option would be to go ahead and fill out housing for GV (you have until March 1 for guaranteed), as you do not have to accept admission for A&M GV or UT until May 1. Then, have him visit GV and check it out. Would he rather be an Aggie freshman year in GV or another mascot on a big 12 campus his freshman year and hope to transfer?

If he does decide GV is not what he wants to do, then you can decline the A&M admissions offer and get a refund of the GV housing. Go ahead and do the UT housing too if you have not, as UT doesn’t make you wait until you are accepted for apply for housing, so, a lot of applicants applied for housing as soon as their applications were turned in.
Good luck in his decision.

What I need to know is if a student, that was offered Engineering @ Galveston, has the option of changing to an open major @ College Station?

That, I do not know and have no first hand experience with it but here is a link that might be helpful, if you have not seen it. It is from 2013, so not sure if it is applicable to today https://newaggie.tamu.edu/faqs/what-if-i-want-to-change-my-major/

The link says: Feel free to direct any questions concerning change of majors to the Office of Admissions using the ‘Contact Us’ link on the Applicant Information System: http://applicant.tamu.edu/. Would be worth contacting to find out and please share your experience.

@AGmomx2 also may know more about this.

Admission counselors say major can not be changed, yet student has a change major option on Howdy. Just doesn’t seem fair!

Call Engineering Dept. (Galveston) at 409.741.4381. They answered a bunch of my questions today.

I’ll do. Thanks!

Have received my admit to first year engineering at Galveston with the option of transferring to College station later or the option to do ocean engineering at Galveston. How does this work?

How do you compete for a major. I am an international student and want to pursue Mechanical Engineering. I have admit to Ohio state University for Mechanical. Having a hard time to decide between them. Would appreciate your help to decide which would be better.

I don’t want to be stuck in Galveston for long and would prefer the move to College station.