A&M Engineering Galveston

Hello All,
My son got admitted to TAMU Galveston for fall 2018 General Engineering Program. We applied for College Station. I was wondering if they assign the location based on the SAT/GPAs or is the assignment just random?

Also I was wondering, if we accept admission to Galveston General Engineering, what are the chances to get a transfer to CS for the intended major and when?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is a big decision as we are out of state and have not seen the campus nor have a sense of how things work in Texas A&M.
Thanks in advance!

Anybody know if graduates of TAMU branch campuses like Galveston & Commerce etc. are included in the legendary TAMU (College Station) networking & recruiting? In other words, I hear one Aggie will do anything to help out another Aggie. I just want to know if that generally extends to folks from the other campuses.

@moooop Galveston - yes. Commerce and other system schools - no. Galveston is a branch campus. Commerce, Corpus, Kingsville, etc. are not branch campuses. They are separate institutions under the A&M System. You get an Aggie ring at Galveston. Not the other schools because you are not an Aggie. Iā€™m not saying that an Aggie wouldnā€™t help or network with a Commerce graduate but they are not the same. What does irritate Aggies is when an a graduate of one of the system schools tries to pass themselves off as an Aggie.

Ok, thanks. Do grad students at College Station get rings?

@moooop Yes, graduate students can get an Aggie ring. Here is the information about it https://www.aggienetwork.com/ring/eligibility/

Hey yā€™all! Iā€™m looking for a roommate in the Engineering at Galveston program who would be down to remain my roommate when we transfer to College Stat. If anyone is interested, message me! (Iā€™m a guy)

@ToCollege2018 Your son is admitted to Galveston Engineering program based on a holistic review process. It is essentially saying that when they ran out of seats in College Station (CS), students are then assigned to Galveston. Most importantly, just know that being admitted to Galveston is a FULL admission. This meant that your son can take the same engineering courses and courses as those students in CS their freshmen year.

Beginning in the Spring of 2019, your son can apply for entry-to-a major (ETAM) of his choices. This is NOT a transfer - I repeat - this is a transition and not a transfer. The advantage is that if your son has a cumulative 3.5 GPA, then he is guaranteed to be place into his 1st choice major. If 3.4 or lower, they will go through a review process. If there is still slots open in the 1st choice major, he will be place there. If not, they will then place him in the 2nd choice, and so forth ā€¦ This is the same process that all freshmen engineering students (whether in CS or Galveston) has to go through.

If you are transferring from Galveston or any other colleges/universities to CS, you are not guaranteed a spot in your major - because you are essentially applying again and competing with other new freshmen and transfers for that year. The whole point is that your chance of getting into your major as a transfer is much LOWER than if you are transition from Galveston to CS.

I have read somewhere that even if your donā€™t make the 3.5 GPA, your chance of entering your 1st choice major is still like 80%.

You can read more about ETAM here:

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/engineering-at-galveston-program/class-of-2021.html

And profile of a typical student (Mechanical) who was admitted to his 1st choice here:

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-spring-2017-admission-cycle/meen.html

(note that the avg cumulative GPA was only 3.30 - with a maximum of 3.48 - not even 3.5)

Hope this helps ā€¦ Good luck ā€¦

I just noticed that the link to register for the Engineering at Galveston Preview Day on 3/22 is now available:

http://www.tamug.edu/admissions/Visit.html

Thank you ! Just registered. My son is planning to attend Galveston .

@mikeinsugarland Thank you so much for the ETAM info and the notice about registration. I am also surprised that the ETAM GPAā€™s arenā€™t higher. Thereā€™s hope!
@nilavu: Welcome to Galveston admit group!!

My child received admission to engineering at Galveston but we havenā€™t received anything in the mail yet. How long does it take to get the mailed physical Admission packet?

@shiver17 My son got accepted on Feb 14th, and we still havenā€™t received anything yet. We are mainly waiting for the banner so that he can take a picture with it. :slight_smile: I initiated a chat with Steve from admissions, and he told me to contact admissions through AIS. Their response is as follows:

Howdy!
Thank you for your interest in Texas A&M University.
It will be sent in the next several days. The mail room staff were waiting on additional brochures which are mailed out with the admissions packet.
Thanks & gigā€™em,
Aggieland Admissions Customer Service

So I am hoping we will get something in the mail soon!

@shiver17 No packet here yet either (Feb. 12 Howdy Manage Applications change). Should happen soon!

We received a letter in the mail with a car sticker says Aggie Engineer 2022 :slight_smile:

We received the car sticker on 3/10 (after I submitted my response, of course!) and finally received the A&M admission packet and banner yesterday! :slight_smile:

Yes, also received both mailings. Good moment!

After my son was finished with the papers and handed the accumulated stack of letters and the packet to me, I put everything aside in a relatively invisible ā€œsafe placeā€, you know how that goes, then proceeded to spend 30 minutes looking for all these precious papers late that night. Almost killed me, I was so worried that our pets would get to them and shred themā€¦ But I finally found them.

It was a long wait for this. Itā€™s mid-March. Spring is underway, and graduation and the late summer departure for these students to school is around the corner. Letā€™s make sure theyā€™re ready!

Just wondering if any of the galveston engineering admits on this forum have decided to accept. Weā€™re still trying to decide between Tech and Tamu-G.

@93txag My son is currently planning to go, and I believe his dad and I will let him go. I believe it could be a good opportunity for him, and it could be even better for him personally to see a different area. The preview day in Galveston is next Thursday. Could you get there? This year, there are 450 students in the program. I would expect at least as many next year.

At the same time, I am very excited about the Engineering Academies and am starting to pursue any possibility of teaching at Blinn myself. The Brenham academy was his main backup. He didnā€™t apply at Tech because my brother and I are Aggie engineers, and he is our last chance in his generation of the family. I work with several very competent Tech engineers.
Has your son visited Tech? What would help with his decision?

@93txag. I know you all visited Galveston, and your son has done a camp at Tech. What does your son think he should do?

@93txag. Perhaps you and your son could fully articulate your concerns about both options and really evaluate those. Good luck. If you share your thinking here, it may also help others. Itā€™s nice to have good options!