A new Aerial View of the Science and Engineering Quad

<p>[Buildings</a> - The College of Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://eng.ua.edu/buildings/]Buildings”>http://eng.ua.edu/buildings/)
The new Quad looks bigger in this view. The grass should turn green soon. Wonder if there will be tailgating there in the fall.</p>

<p>That’s kinda far from the stadium for tailgating. Even though the Quad is pretty lively on game days, there’s actually still room left over on most weekends for more tailgaters.</p>

<p>I don’t think Bama wants tents, etc, set up in the entire main Quad because it likes having some space for Frisbee, etc, games that go on during tailgating. While the SEC quad may seem far, there are people setting up tailgates even further away, so it could be possible.</p>

<p>I sure hope they retake that pic once the grass is green.</p>

<p>I wonder why Bama doesn’t use some of that very realistic-looking artificial grass in some places…not everywhere, but in some places…sure would look better during dormant season…or at least throw some rye grass down during winter to have some green.</p>

<p>Well the Quad looks green in January in that pic in a recent thread. Is that rye grass? I remember being a student at Bama and seeing a deep green color to the grass in December. They must vary the seed throughout the year.</p>

<p>Yes, they seeded it with rye and it is really pretty. I meant to get a picture of Denny Chimes and the fountain at the Ferg while they were pink this weekend for Power of the Pink. It looked nice.</p>

<p>Tailgaters generally want two things: access to the stadium and electricity. Even with the recent surge in tailgating on the Quad, I’ve never had trouble setting up a tailgate on the Quad proper. There are many untapped spots on the west side of campus that can provide that before having to go northwest of the Quad, let alone all the way at the SEC area. But who knows? It may be a trend to start next year.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing the pic, Atlanta68. 'Bama just keeps getting better and better. Amazing.</p>

<p>Can’t wait to check it out in person this weekend!</p>

<p>feeno…you’re right about electricity needs.</p>

<p>I wasn’t really thinking about those who pay/reserve season spots…those people do need electricity for their TVs, etc. I was more thinking of more casual tailgaters who don’t need electric hookups…like the folks who tailgate in parking lots and such.</p>

<p>And, I can see some of the STEM depts hosting tailgate events there…or maybe even in the “mini quad” area that is in the center of Shelby.</p>

<p>m2ck, I’d think you’d be surprised at the see how lavish the setups can be even for “casual” tailgaters. It’s not that there aren’t basic tent parties on gamedays, but the vast majority I’ve seen are lavish affairs. It would be nice to see tent parties start utilizing the engineering green; the area has some catching up to go. It wasn’t even five years ago that this was a very unattractive part of campus.</p>

<p>BTW, some new aerials were posted on the UA Engineering Alumni FB group today.</p>

<p>Thanks…sure with the grass wasn’t dormant at the time of the pic…green grass would set well with the red brick.</p>