A.P Tests After Acceptance

I just committed to a college for engineering, and am currently taking AP Macroeconomics, AP English Literature & Composition, and AP Calculus BC. The college I’m going to takes no AP credits for Macro and Lit + Comp, and I’m not sure if I want to study and sit for Macroeconomics and the Literature exams. If I decide to transfer out and go somewhere else, would not taking the AP exams look poorly on me? Or would they simply consider my grade in the class? Would there be any other repercussions or consequences for not taking the AP test?

For reference, I’ve already taken 2 AP tests in these subjects as well. I took APUSH last year (5), and AP Lang last year as well (4).

I would not take the AP exams for those classes that would not give you credit as long as your high school does not require it. I seriously doubt that if you transferred that it would have any impact at all. This way you can focus your energy on the other 2 AP exams and take some of the stress off! Enjoy the rest of your senior year!

If you transfer to a college that does give something for those AP scores, the new college will only give it for the scores, not the course or grade you took in high school.

Even if a college does not give credit for an AP score, check whether it gives subject credit or prerequisite clearance for it.

If you already paid for the AP test, there not much reason to avoid taking it. There is no need to study specifically for it if you have been doing well in a good quality AP course.

The college gives no pre-req or subject credit. I know I would have to study specifically for it if I wanted a 4+, as I’m aware of my current limitations in the class.

Since you mention transferring, what do the colleges you could possibly transfer to give for those AP scores, if anything?

Are you planning to transfer? If not, I wouldn’t give it a second thought. I’m with @SuntasticMom.

Things happen - not in our initial plans, but my son did transfer and was grateful for those credits later knocking out some gen Ed’s at the 2nd college. You did well on previous tests. Just sit for them and see how you do. They will not count against you. They are already paid for.

Side note - not sure where you go to high school, but for some public schools it counts against their state scores or funding if kids do not end up taking the test - not the greatest reason to take them, but just a heads up that there may be some requests to take them on the make up days if you no show.

Check the graduation requirements for your high school, mine has economics (micro or macro) as a requirement and you must pass the final (ap or otherwise).

A senior does not get AP scores back until after graduation, so that can not be the case with this.

No.

If you were to transfer, and if the next college WOULD have allowed you to opt out of entry level classes, or otherwise give credit, then you’d lose that benefit.

How likely those “if’s” are is for you to evaluate - and from there you’d decide whether to put some additional study time in, to add to your AP Credits portfolio “just in case”.

My school looks down on skipping an ap exam, and treats it as a failing grade.

1 Like

This^^^^

Look at your syllabus, as most will say that you are in the course you must sit for the exam.

I have worked at schools where if you did not sit for the exam, your course was downgraded ex: Ap Econ to regular econ (this could be problematic when it comes to submitting your final transcripts).

I have also worked at schools if you did not sit for the exam you received a 0 as a test grade that would be averaged into your final grade (again, this could be problematic when it comes to submitting a final transcript).

1 Like

Agree with @SuntasticMom, should be no problem unless your school mandates taking it for a complete course grade