A question about h.s rank and acceptance

<p>Well, my high school ranks and I ended up being in the top 11.1%. I have a good SAT score and several activities that I am heavily involved in. Is the fact that I am not in the top 10% going to hurt my chances of getting into Cal, UCLA, or UCSD? Thanks.</p>

<p>Technically, most UC's don't consider rank outside of the context of "ELC" (top 4% I believe).I think it's a reflection of the applicant pool that so many students admitted are in the top 10 percent. Hmmm... not sure if that helps...</p>

<p>I can't answer about Cal or UCLA, but UCSD uses a very structured formula and that does NOT include rank (other than ELC).</p>

<p>If you didn't get into top 4%, then chances are you won't be getting a boost from rank. It shouldn't factor in a lot in admissions, though, so long as your GPA was good otherwise, and your other stuff is good too. It would be pretty hard to say that a person in top 4% with a 3.5 (hyperbole but bear with me) is going to get into Berkeley over someone in top 20% with a 4.3 (totally possible with the crazy high schools in California).</p>