A Resource for Diversity Weekends/Visits

<p>Some students may be seeing diversity visit invitations begin appearing in their mailboxes so I wanted to post a helpful source I just found. This website lists a number of diversity "flyins" and the contact information for such invitations/visits. </p>

<p>Get</a> Me To College -- For High School CollegeboundsFall 2010 Diversity College Weekends-Many are free!!!</p>

<p>I know this information is posted some where on collegeconfidential but I thought I saw some new schools listed on the above link. </p>

<p>Hope this info is useful.</p>

<p>I’d just like to add that if you’re flying, it never hurts to ask if they will pay for your travel. And many of these colleges have scholar/diversity type 2 day stays AFTER you’re admitted…my S got invited and after ASKING, they did pay for his travel. Never hurts.</p>

<p>Thanks itsv! </p>

<p>Here is a link to the most up-to-date information on fly-ins here on CC (it’s also in the Resources sticky thread):</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/770660-fall-diversity-visit-programs-compilation-6.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/770660-fall-diversity-visit-programs-compilation-6.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Regarding CLMs comment about partial or fully paid fly-ins after being admitted, D2 had 2 this year, to Yale and Carleton, so keep your eyes open!</p>

<p>For those new to the term diversity fly-ins/visits; there are two types. Some occur during the summer and fall and are used to attract students to the university. My son did those type and got his visits paid and hosted by schools. Other diversity fly-ins/visits occur after you have applied or been accepted. With all schools the amount they will pay varies-some will give say a $500 stipend for travel expenses; other will give airfare and hotel and some just gas money. As posted above it never hurts to ask. Even if a school is not listed do research and ask because the school may have its own program that is not listed on either link provided above. </p>

<p>One thing is certain is that the early bird gets the worm on diversity visits. There is limited money so you want to make sure you apply early if you receive an invite. Also check with your friends. My son got an invitation from Cornell which he was not interested in but his friend (also Latino) wanted to see Cornell and he used my son’s invitation since friend had not appeared on Cornell’s radar.</p>

<p>itsv,</p>

<p>Can I ask if you are low income? Do they only offer these to low income families? Do they ask for proof of income? We’re not low income (78K for a family of 5) but finding money for airfare to MIT will be pretty much impossible right now. On the app. for the special visitation, it asked if our income was below 50K so I assumed they would only consider helping those in that income bracket so my son hasn’t directly asked for help yet. </p>

<p>Do you think it’s best to wait until admitted before asking for help? My son is planning on applying to at least 4 schools that he’s never visited. It would be great to see them first but we certainly don’t have money for that.</p>

<p>sbjdorlo-</p>

<p>I sent you a pm to answer some of your questions.</p>

<p>However diversity visits are not offered only to “low-income families.” Program requirements vary per schools-some take income into consideration and others do not. My rule has been to apply to everything since it doesn’t hurt to ask. I would not make any assumptions about asking if your income was below “50K” because such information may be factored into scholarships etc. </p>

<p>I think it is best to apply now and not wait until being admitted for help. First it gets your son on the schools radar. Having an admission rep know your son by name can be invaluable. If there are other opportunties that come up this admission rep may think of your son for them. Second a visit could rule out a school which would save on application fees and time filling out an application. </p>

<p>Here is something else we did that saved money. My son got a plane ticket to visit one school but a second school he was interested in was a cheap plane fare nearby. We asked school #1 if it was okay to visit school #2 if we paid the difference which they agreed to. By doing so we were able to throw in a visit to school #2 for only $80 more. Some school are flexible and others are not-it just depends on the school Son ended up attending school #1.</p>

<p>Plus applying before admitted is also a good idea but schools have limited travel budgets. Once the money is gone there may not be any available for post admitted visits.</p>

<p>sbjdoloro-</p>

<p>I reread some of the postings about diversity visits and forgot one more point. Some visits are directed at URMs or those students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds who are not URMs. Asking about income may be a question directed at that group of students. </p>

<p>Is your son applying to this program mitadmissions.org/wise/ ?
If so I saw that it accepted URMs who did not fall into income under 50K. </p>

<p>Good luck. I hope it works out for him.</p>

<p>Thanks, itsv. Yes, it seems he’s accepted into the program but there are still some things to be worked out and we have to see about the $$. We actually don’t have anything for travel so it isn’t really likely to happen but we’ll see!</p>

<p>Is anyone doing the MIT or Williams visits?</p>

<p>In doing some research I found this listing and including it in case it provides additional information or contacts. </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.st-agnes.org/files/DDF/fall%20program%20for%20multicultural%20seniors.pdf[/url]”>http://www.st-agnes.org/files/DDF/fall%20program%20for%20multicultural%20seniors.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I thought it was great that this high school put togeather a listing of diversity visit information for its students. My son’s h.s. did nothing like this and his school was 32% latino and on the border.</p>

<p>Thanks for the helpful information! In terms of invitations, are they based only on test scores or expressed interest in the particular school? My daughter recently submitted the NHRP letter (her guidance counselor found it at the beginning of June, although I think it arrived earlier than that), but D has not reported any SAT scores to colleges since we will wait for her final college list. She is also above NMSF cutoffs for our state (at least for the last few years). She has visited a number of schools, and she receives college mail, but not anything like these programs. Any thoughts about what besides test scores might prompt invitations?</p>

<p>I had my kids go to the website of any school they were interested in and sign up to receive information. They often ask for ethnicity/race information and will forward names of URMs to minority admissions recruiters. </p>

<p>Some schools have information for flyins and how to apply on their website, I think UNC-CH was one of these.</p>

<p>If interested in science or engineering, the Ventures Scholars program gives names to many schools. Check out their website on the Resources sticky thread.</p>

<p>I don’t think all flyins are based on test scores. Even if they are, it never hurts to email or call a school and see if you can get an invitation.</p>

<p>Thanks – I’ll tell her to look into that!</p>

<p>Also, I just noticed that you said that your D has not yet sent test scores to any schools. If she marked on her PSAT & SAT that she wants to get information from colleges, then her information would have gone out to schools that way. I had my kids mark this even though I knew it would mean a barrage of mailings, just one more way to get their name out to schools.</p>

<p>Latest link for diversity fly-in’s for 2011-2012</p>

<p>[Get</a> Me To College – For High School Collegebounds2011 Diversity Fly-in List: Colleges Pay for Seniors to Visit This Fall!!!](<a href=“http://getmetocollege.org/hs/2011-diversity-fly-in-list]Get”>http://getmetocollege.org/hs/2011-diversity-fly-in-list)</p>

<p>azcpamom: Thanks for posting the updated list. </p>

<p>Also for students interested in engineering there is a diversity weekend for Cornell coming up with a deadline for applying of Sept. 9. Here is the link: [Cornell</a> Engineering: Fall DHW](<a href=“http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/diversity/events/DHW.cfm]Cornell”>http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/diversity/events/DHW.cfm)</p>

<p>(I noticed this weekend was not on the “get me to college” site so I wanted to make sure to bring it to everyone’s attention.) Also Cornell has a separate visit program for women in engineering so for those Latino engineering hopefuls be sure to apply to both weekend programs to increase your chances of getting the visit paid.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if it is possible to apply to multiple diversity weekends which fall under the same date? The chances of being admitted to multiple are slim, but if something like that occurs, would it acceptable to just accept one? Or would the other school demand reimbursement for the fees? I assume they wouldn’t go ahead and book travel without his confirmation, but I just want to make sure.</p>

<p>I would say that there is no problem applying since most have few spots for many applicants. The payment isn’t given out immediately, so if he gets into two with overlapping dates, he can just notify one immediately that he will be unable to attend and they can offer it to someone else.</p>

<p>Do you know if Princeton participates in diversity weekend for prospective URM students? My D went to Dartmouth this summer and has been invited to apply to Middlebury and Amherst’s programs this fall. But she couldn’t find any information on Princeton. Any thoughts much appreciated…She’s our oldest and this process is a little overwhelming for all of us! Thanks!</p>

<p>I personally have never heard of P offering any kind of fly-in program. Please see the Resources sticky thread for a CC thread that is a compilation of diversity programs. Note my recent post on that thread about Yale flying in some admitted students.</p>