A Vision Becomes Reality

<p>Link posted by UA Facebook:</p>

<p>[A</a> Vision Becomes Reality](<a href=“http://issuu.com/universityofalabama/docs/visionreality]A”>http://issuu.com/universityofalabama/docs/visionreality)</p>

<p>Very nice…Dr. Witt is a visionary!</p>

<p>Thank goodness for him (and Nick Saban)!</p>

<p>thanks for posting that link. Great info including some that I’ve never even heard mentioned. Specifically on page 8:</p>

<p>“UA moved to #2 nationally in Collegiate Licensing Collegiate (CLC) Merchandising sales in 2009-2010…CLC projected that UA would finish the year with more than $8 million in royalty income; 1/2 of that money will be used to fund National Merit Scholarships for UA students.”</p>

<p>I know athletics & big programs often get a bad rap, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen academic funding supported by athletic revenue. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>RobD- one of the things I heard (and I hope it is true) is that UA has one of the few self supporting collegiate athletic programs. And it is so successful, that the athletics actually gives money to academics each year. </p>

<p>I hope that is true, as it so supports my desire for my son to go to a school that has found a way to support both academics and sports without either being taken from to support the other (hope that sentence makes sense!!).</p>

<p>Crimson Tide supports its sports and has extra money to give to univ</p>

<p>Bamamom…thanks so much for sharing this. When I get the "why Alabama? " with the looks, it is something that will be nice to share with those really interested. No one from my son’s high school has gone to Bama, so I get those looks a lot! It looks like he will be the first!</p>

<p>Glad to share it! I was also impressed with the funding of academics from the athletics. </p>

<p>We live in Alabama and we still get the “why Alabama?”, especially when they know which schools she turned down. But as she put it, the minute she walked onto campus she felt at home! Sweet Home Alabama!!! RTR!!!</p>

<p>I think some of the folks in Alabama would be surprised at your child’s college choice cause prior to the nineties and even more with Witt’s arrival, Birmingham Southern and Samford and Spring Hill were considered “the place” for the state’s top students. Of course, Auburn used to get a much higher proportion of the state’s top students than they now get. </p>

<p>In fact, there was an article in the paper about five years ago, about how the presidents at these schools felt that UA was taking too many of the students they used to get. One actually complained that UA gives too many scholarships to the state’s top students and that such action should be reserved for the state’s private schools.</p>

<p>^^^ that attitude is why UA is successful. From the looks of the numbers, I would bet a few schools from around the country may start looking at UA and saying “what the heck?”. As they should.</p>

<p>As a current student at the Capstone, I would like to say that UA is the place to be. It has been and always will be a great school. The campus is on a progressive track like I have never seen before. The future that lay before the school is very hopeful and promising. It will be the choice for America’s best and brightest, as Witt has said many times before!</p>

<p>It would be nice to have a hard copy of this…Is there somewhere we can request one to be sent to us?</p>

<p>I guess I could have my H print it at work…lol</p>

<p>So the booklet says that 4 mil is given to scholarships from money raised through royalty income. Is this an automatic with all purchases of Bama “products”, or only certian ones. If only certian ones, I would like to figure out which ones and be sure to purchase them. Thanks!</p>

<p>If you buy a licensed Alabama product (clothing, housewares, etc.), UA will get royalty income. Part of the problem with some of the vendors walking around selling UA merchandise on gamedays is that some of them use the UA logo, trademarks, etc, without paying the licensing fee. Buying from a reputable store or vendor will help ensure that UA gets royalties from your purchase.</p>

<p>RobD – DH said to DS during move-in weekend: “You’d better not knock athletes; they’re helping to finance your education.” </p>

<p>ROLL TIDE!!!</p>

<p>^^ Yep…my employer’s in the licensed college apparel biz (recently we even bought a licensed apparel vendor, Gear for Sports). (That’s not our only biz, of course; we’re kind of huge and diversified, LOL.) But anyway, we pay licensee fees for the privilege of using the official licensed team graphics on our college fan wear. So we, too, do not appreciate the knockoff vendors who pirate these graphics. Grrrr!</p>

<p>So basically if I purchase at department stores, the online athletic/college stores, then they should be licensed. Any other way to tell?</p>

<p>^^^Correct. Most licensed items will also have a holographic sticker that says NCAA on it.</p>