AA final grade is up!

<p>Alabama Action final grade is up :)</p>

<p>Just so you know, you have to click on “Final” to see it - the regular screen still defaults to “Midterm” as someone else already mentioned.</p>

<p>OA still not up. :(</p>

<p>First let me clarify what I think this is talking about. Aa is Alabama Action and OA is Outdoor Action, correct? Assuming that is correct, I thought these were orientation type week long activities that the kids took part in and had no idea they are graded. How are they graded? I guess I am concerned as I wanted my somewhat introverted son to participate in one of these next year as a way of having him meet people and try to connect with some friends- but is it likely this could start him out in trouble for the 3.0 to retain the scholarship??</p>

<p>Yes, they are graded. Yes, these are fun activities designed as team building opportunities and a chance to meet new friends. No, he won’t have any problems as long as he participates. Sign him up! :)</p>

<p>@tjmom
My son was in OA so no grade yet but I wanted to let you know that OA and AA are 1 credit hour Honors courses so yes they are graded but they also help get in the required honors credits. I know my son had journal entries due shortly after OA ended so I would presume the grade is based on participation while at OA/AA and the journal entries submitted…not sure what the AA kids had to complete…</p>

<p>Do not let the fact that a 1-credit class is graded scare you into not taking it! (You DO have to worry about the whopping 4-credit classes like Calc and Chem and Bio and foreign language!) Active participation (as in any class) will stand you in good stead. There are discussions and writing assignments in AA. My S completed these before school even started, so it was not something that worried him.</p>

<p>It has been a while since my student participated in Outdoor Action, but as I recall, there were some reading assignments prior to the start of the course. Full participation and the writing component are what make up your grade. After the course ended, there was some additional time, perhaps a week or two, to finish the writing assignment. Best to do that asap, so it doesn’t get lost in the process of settling into college. Outdoor Action is very physical…there were ten mile canoe trips, farm work, and other outdoor activity. It is a combination of work and fun, but do remember that is is Hot in Alabama in August. Water will be provided, but make sure your student has plenty of sunscreen, bug spray and any daily medications or small snacks (granola bars) they might need. A small waterproof bag is a good idea for cellphone etc. during the canoe trip. I know that my student thought that it was a great experience and would highly recommend this to other students. It is a good way to get involved and earn one credit prior to the start of the semester. For students who are out of state, it is a way to make friends quickly. As long as the student meets the requirements, it should be an easy grade. A lot easier than many other courses, that’s for sure.</p>

<p>OA/AA are wonderful ,and I am not expecting a problem with the grade, it would just be nice to see it! </p>

<p>My son still spends time with kids he met at OA. And sine it is completed before school starts, not a drag on his other school work. There hae been other opportunities that spin off from participating in OA too. There have been otehr opportunities for volunteer work, and a few get togethers this fall. I think they are having a christmas party this weekend too.</p>