AA in UC

<p>It is made clear that University of California does not give preferential treatment to AA applicants. Real world question- if ECs, Awards, and personal statements have a clear theme of being AA and actively contributing to the AA community, will that carry weight in admissions, other things being equal with non AA candidates (high GPA, HS course rigor, SAT scores in mid/high range of admissions profiles?)</p>

<p>Yes. UC – and almost all colleges – are looking for a diverse student body, with diversity defined by race, socioeconomic status, geography, talent, and academic interests. UC will indeed care very much about one’s contributions to & involvement with the AA community.</p>

<p>AA did Not help my D at UCLA, although she had mostly at or above their average stats. Not a “clear theme” though, and a from a tinyschool without much rigor. Still a 50:50 shot with UCLA average stats and no adversity. Adversity + first gen+ URM probably helps. She got in all the other UC’s though.</p>

<p>hi i;m new around here and i can;t find where one can make a new post/thread, so i’ll have to ask what are my chances of gettin into stony brook here. i m from new york, i go to brooklyn technical high school, and i have been slacking off during my freshmen yr, but now i have a 80.89 weighted average, did 120 hrs volunteer work at a tutor center, and i took AP Environmental science and this year taking AP Biology and AP Calculus. My highest sat scores are math-660, reading-620, and writing-590. it would help alot if anyone answers-thank you ^^.</p>

<p>^ Click here, <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/new-york-colleges/[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/new-york-colleges/&lt;/a&gt;, look at the top of the threads for New Post.</p>

<p>Oops! Fixed</p>

<p>^^That GPA’s not exactly great, but you do have a fighting chance. You might want to reconsider taking your SAT, though; all students I know who were accepted had much higher GPAs (generally, 90-something percent). Though you currently have an 1870, boosting it a bit higher might make the admissions committee more willing to view your school grades more leniently.</p>

<p>Good luck! :)</p>