AA/OA 2013 dates and info

<p>Sign ups are not yet available but this info is now posted on the Honors college page</p>

<p>[UH</a> 103 | Honors College](<a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/uh-non-core/uh-103/]UH”>http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/uh-non-core/uh-103/)</p>

<p>Alabama Action- Seminar on the legal issues, economics, history, politics, and sociology of poverty which provides context for experience in meaningful community service in west Alabama. Additional travel fee of $195 covers all expenses except 4 meals.
Dates: August 11-16, 2013</p>

<p>[UH</a> 104 | Honors College](<a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/uh-non-core/uh-104/]UH”>http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/uh-non-core/uh-104/)</p>

<p>Outdoor Action is a week long orientation program for incoming Honors and New College freshmen. This year’s environmental focus is on freshwater issues. Field work at area water resources will be led by several faculties. The $195 fee covers housing, meals, transport, and materials.
Dates: August 11-16, 2013</p>

<p>Thank you!!</p>

<p>At TSD on Monday, we were told that there will be a third one offered. It is called Black Belt Action and will be in Marion, AL (57 miles away). They could not yet tell us what exactly would be the project but said that before the signups were available, there would be info on it on the website.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when applications are coming out?</p>

<p>Was told by Susan Alley to look for it in the first part of April.</p>

<p>Does anyone know the logistics for a student who may want to attend Camp 1831 and AA or OA, and how these two events could be coordinated with early move in (whenever that is?)</p>

<p>We’ve read that camp 1831 includes transportation from campus to Camp McDowell and back.</p>

<p>Just got this repsonse when I asked about AA?OA sign-up dates.
Note:“Next Monday” is Monday, April 8th.</p>

<p>“We are working on getting the application out asap. We are hoping to have it out by next Monday, but it may come out later. I would recommend staying up to date by going to our website honors.ua.edu. Any updates will be posted there!”</p>

<p>Has anyone heard anything else about when registration will open up for OA/AA??</p>

<p>I emailed the honors college a few days ago,and they said they hoped to have it up by the end of this week :)</p>

<p>Wasn’t the Black Belt experience originally part of University Fellows summer program? Would be curious to know how project differs from AA and OA.</p>

<p>This is my guess, but that is all it is (and I am not even sure it is an educated guess). Reading the course description of AA for this year, it looks like they will be doing the work in Perry County where Black Belt Action (and yes, that is for Fellows) takes place. I think that either I misunderstood or the person misspoke and there are still only the two- OA and AA but AA is closer to what Black Belt Action for Fellows is.</p>

<p>My daughter is an AA leader for this coming fall. I do not have any details regarding sign up or when that information will be available. However, I do know that she and her partner have been actively planning their activities for their group this fall. They will be doing their project in a local Tuscaloosa school. She participated in AA last year and loved it!</p>

<p>Is anyone else getting the message “The Alabama Action application is currently closed.” when they go to try and do the application? Did it just get released today and is already filled or is this just a technical issue?</p>

<p>I don’t think the application has opened yet.</p>

<p>Another parent told me that the form was supposed to open at noon today but with the weather closure it was being postponed. I’d check tomorrow.</p>

<p>Application is open.</p>

<p>When completing the on-line application for Alabama Action, be prepared to have:

• A “Purpose Statement” as to why the student wants to participate
  • What types of projects interest you; e.g. Landscaping, Artistic Painting, Construction, Carpentry, Mosaic Work (what?!) :-), or “No Preference”
  • Are you willing to work outside
  • Also, there’s a place on the application to list dietarty, physical/mobility concerns, etc.</p>

<p>Payment must be made by check and mailed in within 7 days (along with the liability waiver).</p>

<p>My DS and his 3 roommates will be in the program and all are looking forward to it.</p>

<p>ThorEric, you are correct, the form asks for that information. That said, I called the school to verify, the applications will be accepted first come, first serve. I would have your child hold their application in order to compose a really well thought out response to those questions…as you’ll run the very real risk of the program filling up. My son sent me what he wanted to say via txt, submitted his application for Outdoor Action this morning at 9 am.</p>

<p>txdoula - I assume you mean you would NOT have your child hold the application…?</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Oops Lisa, great catch…as usual, trying to do too many things at once. Indeed, do NOT hold the app! Get it in asap, the slots are assigned first come, first serve!</p>