About AMEP Program

<p>I am applying Wisconsin Madison Regular Decision with
36 ACT Math, 35 ACT English, and 34 ACT Science and with AP Physics, AP Calc BC, and Discrete Mathematics completed
(SAT2MATH: 800, SAT2PHYSICS/CHEM: 760, 780)</p>

<p>There is a unique program that interests me in Wisconsin-Madison and that is
AMEP (Applied Math, Engineering, Physics) all at once</p>

<p>I wish to know how marketable that is (I'm OOS so I don't want to major in something that don't get me job opportunities in 4 years :l )
How much the starting average salary is (IK, education first but OOS costs :l :P )
And how the graduate placement is.</p>

<p>I hopefully believe with my stats I'm a shoe in so I just want to know about the program before thinking about my colleges...
(Most important is how good is the graduate placement because I want to go to places like MIT/Harvard/Princeton/CalTech for grad school in mathematics [I want to math professor but enjoy my interests in engineering/computer science and physics])</p>

<p>THANKS!!! (: Merry EARLY Christmas guys :3
**I wanna know how many ppl major in APEM, what their average stats are, and where all of them go (all the grad placement, not just the top :P )</p>

<p>More info about AMEP here:</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.math.wisc.edu/amep[/url]”>https://www.math.wisc.edu/amep&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>“Marketable”??? Grad school??? You give conflicting plans- get a job or go to grad school.</p>

<p>Both math and physics have excellent Honors courses you can start your freshman year (son did both sequences before his math with added comp sci majors). It is possible you will refine your interests to just math or physics, or you will do the AMEP. UW ranks around 15th or so for grad schools in math and you can take grad level math courses as part of an Honors degree (instead of doing research). Math is brutally competitive for grad schools- people from Europe and Asia add to the US applicant pool and that GRE has a max score of 900 instead of just 800.</p>

<p>You will start your freshman year likely with both the Honors math and physics sequences. Both cover more than the regular sequences. Once you are on campus you will be able to refine your plans and discuss with your advisor. There are likely more jobs with a math major than a physics major, having both certainly won’t hurt. There are typically in the range of 100 math grads at UW every year so there will be plenty of peers. Math competitions, REUs, undergrad activities (lecture series?).</p>

<p>As far as choosing UW over other schools UW is a good /excellent option for your proposed fields. You will find challenging courses and peers who match your abilities. You can decide on AMEP or go with math/physics variations once you are at UW. You can check on departmental job outlooks via the UW website. You should be well prepared to either enter the workforce or go to a good grad school with a UW major in math and or physics.</p>

<p>btw- UW has rolling admissions, there is no ED- all admissions would be considered “regular”. Rolling means they notify applicants as they make decisions.</p>

<p>A good way to find out more after you have learned as much as you can from the UW departmental websites is to email the professors in charge with any unanswered questions. Be aware that this is winter break so professors may be on vacation and not answering their academic emails soon.</p>