About christian colleges..

<p>So as I am narrowing down my list of colleges that have direct entry nursing, I realized there are many schools with specific religions. But I am not a religious person who believes in god... so do you think I should apply to that school if that school is like really good? I don't really care if it is christian school or not.. but when I go to that school, do you think they will have some kind of pressure on me just because I don't believe in god? </p>

<p>Please help me!</p>

<p>It might help if you name the schoolsyou are cosidering. Religiouly affiliated schools can vary quite a bit in that regard.</p>

<p>Azuza Pacific is more typical of what folks would call “Christian”. </p>

<p>Here is their statement of faith;</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.apu.edu/about/faith/[/url]”>http://www.apu.edu/about/faith/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>St. Mary’s and Univ of Portland are more Catholic, and I think more flexible in their religious requirements.</p>

<p>Yes, religious colleges vary greatly. One indication is to look at their required religion classes. If there are many required religion classes and if they require you to take classes in a single religion, that may not be right for you. However, if they only require one or two religion classes, and those classes are non-denominational and aimed towards Christian Ethics and/or comparative religion, that may be fine.</p>

<p>There are many private colleges that are affiliated with a religion, but are not very religious. For example, one Lutheran college is 40% Jewish in enrollment. </p>

<p>There are some Catholic colleges that are very dogmatic about Catholic theology, and others that are more liberal and tolerant. That can vary with the religious order that runs the college. The average protestant would probably be fine at a more liberal Catholic college, but not at the dogmatic ones.</p>

<p>There are some fundamentalist colleges that are very intolerant. One was recently accused of anti-gay behavior among students, and some actually banned interracial dating.</p>

<p>Are you saying Catholics are more lenient about their religion than christians? I am currently thinking about St. Louis University, University of San Francisco, maybe University of Portland, or Seattle University. Those schools do have affiliated religion… I am still researching for more schools though…</p>

<p>St. Mary’s and UP (and pretty much all other Catholic schools) do not require that you BE
Catholic, but they do require you to take some religion/philosophy classes. Also, you can expect that other classes could be taught from a Catholic point of view.</p>

<p>USF, SLU and Seattle University are Jesuit, and therefore very open toward those with different philosophical viewpoints; they almost prefer students who bring this to the table–especially USF and Seattle.</p>

<p>Syb: my point is that there are many different types of religious colleges. Some are tolerant and open minded and welcome people of various faiths. Others force their hardcore dogma on every student.</p>

<p>Catholics are Christians.</p>

<p>/hijack</p>

<p>are there more open-minded schools like you mentioned?
thank you for all the replies!</p>

<p>I believe you will find most Lutheran and United Methodist colleges are very tolerant and open minded. Some are religious in name only.</p>

<p>Among the Catholic universities, the Jesuit schools tend to be more liberal and tolerant, but I’m sure there are others out there.</p>

<p>Who would have ever thought that the nuns would end up being the most tolerant and open-minded force in the Catholic Church, but that is what is happening. If women had real power in the Catholic Church, things would be very very different, and the pedophiles never would have been covered up. A number of Catholic colleges with nursing programs are controlled by nuns.</p>

<p>USF is very open and welcoming to students of all religions. In addition they have an excellent nursing program (and it’s in San Francisco!).</p>

<p>This is a good question to ask when you’re visiting schools too. My kid goes to a religious school although there are a lot of students who aren’t members of that faith. The fact that it’s a religious school does impact some things like the availability of co-ed housing, opening prayers at events and the lack of birth control in the student clinic. There is a religious studies prereq requirement, although it can be met with philosophy classes. My kid is not religious (tending more to agnostic right now), but is still happy with her school. She knows that there are some subjects like family planning and medical ethics where her nursing school will take the religion’s approach, although her professors are at least explaining the context. On the positive side, my kid has learned more about various religions. The school hasn’t converted her, but it has broadened her views. (One of the priests in administration is particularly inspiring to the students. I went to one event where he spoke with extraordinary humor, humilty and intelligence. He was so impressive that I was ready to convert.)</p>

<p>My kid had visited another religious school when she was picking colleges that had huge crosses in all the classrooms and integrated religion much more intensely into every aspect of the college experience. It would not have been a comfortable fit. </p>

<p>Ultimately it comes down to fit, since every school is going to be different. In my kid’s situation, a religious school just happened to be the school that had the most “pros” and the fewest “cons” at the end of the selection process.</p>

<p>Posted 2X by mistake</p>

<p>Yes, you may find that religious schools are stricter about overnight stays by boyfriends/girlfriends in residence halls. However, that can also be beneficial. One college president/Priest said “We think if you are paying for a bed, you should be able to sleep in it” (and not be kicked out for the night by your roommate).</p>

<p>Another Jesuit school with an amazing nursing program is the University of Scranton. My daughter is not religious at all, and finds the school very tolerant. After almost two and a half years in the program, her experience there has been outstanding.</p>

<p>While a religious school may offer an excellent academic program, think about the other aspects of your life. Will you feel excluded socially? If all the students wish to date someone of their own religion who is very religious too, will you meet anyone you are compatible with? If the social aspect of the school is based on religious observance, where will you fit in?
Will people respect your position as a non religious person, or will you feel peer pressure to convert?
Look at the mix of the student body. A church affiliated school can also be tolerant of religious diversity and some are not.
Your college is where you will spend the next 4 years of your life. There are many to choose from, so decide where you feel you fit in best.</p>